Anyone doing or done their Adv.Dip?

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Anyone doing or done their Adv.Dip?

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone here has actually completed their Advance Diploma or plans to do one?

I plan to begin mine as soon as I finish my Diploma (so hopefully by August) & was just wondering if anyone did one where they did it through & how long it took etc?

A new childcare centre is being built soon in the town I live in and my aim is to be Director, so I am really keen on starting my Adv. Dip asap...any info anyone can provide would be great

caelab

Re: Anyone doing or done their Adv.Dip?

Post by caelab » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:14 am

I copmpleted my advanced Diploma in 2009.

I studied online with One world for children.

OWFC.com.au

They are based out of Geelong VIC, it is an National recognised qulaification and is completed online with group tutorials using computer technologies.

I would strongly recommend this process, the lecturers contacted you by phone, email and chatted during classes with you also. It was great for the student that needed a little push to keep them motivated in their studies.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:23 pm

How difficult was the Adv.Diploma? and how long did it take you to complete... the site says 12 mnth completion, was this the case?

What was the cost?

I was thinking of just doing it through TAFE

caelab

Post by caelab » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi fefe76,

I do believe it take about 12 months to complete.

If you are currently working in a service you should find it easy and relevant.

Unfortunately I cant recall complete cost although I can tell you that it was probably around $1600.

Give them a call and chat with them, I found them always willing to give information over the phone.

Your profile says you are from Qld. My friend in Qld is doing her studies through Australian Institute of Early Childhood.

http://www.aiecs.com.au/home/default.asp

you could check them out also.

I have also dealt with the Early Childhood Training and Resource Centre (ECTARC) they also offer the course.

http://www.ectarc.com.au/index.html

Hope I am helping.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:48 pm

I have got the info and its $2500 which is not cheap

I was looking at TAFE just because it is more affordable compared to these private places but I will def check them all out

Cheers

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Just checked out TAFE and it has the same scheme for adv dip as for the diploma, fees are paid we just pay materials so pretty much $40/ unit which will be much cheaper than $2000+ that all the other places charge.
I will probably do it through TAFE ... even though the support with TAFE is not the best it's not bad ... there are usually people u can email to clarify stuff with

Thanks for all the links though caelab

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi FeFe,

Just wanted to ask have you thought about doing a bachelor of early childhood instead of doing the advance diploma? Or are you just wanting to be a director at a centre? As far as I am aware you can be a director with a diploma of children's services qualification however if you do your advance diploma I think it does provided you with a boost when applying for this position..

Have you been a director before?

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:35 pm

L.A I am planning to do my B.Ed (EC) but I do really want to do the Adv.Dip as it is more Management based and since I have not had any previous experience in this area I feel I really should do the Adv. Dip ... I will feel more confident with a qualification under my belt & it means I will get 1.5yrs credit towards my degree rather than just the 1yr if I start after doing my Dip.
I am a qualification junkie HAHA

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi Fefe,

I agree the Advance Diploma is more management based and if you are wanting to be a director then it's the right qualification to do... I think all Directors should do an Advance Diploma before being put into that position. Yes, you can learn from experience but it's also a good idea to have some knowledge as well and the Advance Diploma will give you that...

I am a qualification junkie HAHA

Study is the bane of childhood, the oil of youth, the indulgence of adulthood, and a restorative in old age” Walter Savage Landor ;) :mrgreen:

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:36 pm

I agree, I never really studied more than I had to in school...!!! Due to a major illness I didnt complete my degree at uni so I guess I am making up for all that now ! :)