Expectations of a trainee?

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Post Reply
Taramum
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:23 pm

Expectations of a trainee?

Post by Taramum » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:27 pm

Hello!

I have been employed as a trainee studying towards a certificate 3 for almost a year. Last year I was a float staff which I really enjoyed, though this year I was put into a room as an assistant. I am expected to do the same duties as the other assistant in the room who is diploma qualified. Is this the norm for trainees in the industry to have the same amount of responsibility and workload as those who are much more qualified and higher paid?

I am employed at level 1.1 childrens services and do receive above award wage though it doesn’t feel worth it for the amount of work I am expected to do. I don’t know of any other industry that gives trainees so much responsibility while they are still technically unqualified. There also has been weeks where I am not given any study time.

Opinions? Is this fair?


User avatar
Lorina
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13842
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 am

Re: Expectations of a trainee?

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:48 pm

HI!

No, it doesn't sound fair. You are a trainee how can they expect you to do the same as a qualified Educator. Can you tell me what they expect you to do?

As for being paid at Level 1.1 - as a trainee, you will be on a different pay rate. From 01 July, the pay rates will be increasing so I will let you know once the changes come into effect.

:geek:,
Lorina

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Re: Expectations of a trainee?

Post by Butterflyblue » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:25 am

Lorina wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:48 pm
HI!

No, it doesn't sound fair. You are a trainee how can they expect you to do the same as a qualified Educator. Can you tell me what they expect you to do?

As for being paid at Level 1.1 - as a trainee, you will be on a different pay rate. From 01 July, the pay rates will be increasing so I will let you know once the changes come into effect.

:geek:,
Lorina
Hi Lorina,

I want to delete my posts and profile, how do I do it?

User avatar
Lorina
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13842
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 am

Re: Expectations of a trainee?

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:22 pm

Butterflyblue wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:25 am
Lorina wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:48 pm
HI!

No, it doesn't sound fair. You are a trainee how can they expect you to do the same as a qualified Educator. Can you tell me what they expect you to do?

As for being paid at Level 1.1 - as a trainee, you will be on a different pay rate. From 01 July, the pay rates will be increasing so I will let you know once the changes come into effect.

:geek:,
Lorina
Hi Lorina,

I want to delete my posts and profile, how do I do it?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! You've offered such wonderful advice and helped a lot of Educators with your responses! May I ask why you want to be deleted?

:geek:,
Lorina

Taramum
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:23 pm

Re: Expectations of a trainee?

Post by Taramum » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:56 pm

Lorina wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:48 pm
HI!

No, it doesn't sound fair. You are a trainee how can they expect you to do the same as a qualified Educator. Can you tell me what they expect you to do?

As for being paid at Level 1.1 - as a trainee, you will be on a different pay rate. From 01 July, the pay rates will be increasing so I will let you know once the changes come into effect.

:geek:,
Lorina
Okay so the pay will not be an issue then. I was hired to be a float but now I am a full time room assistant, doing the same duties as the other diploma qualified room assistant. There’s regularly times where I’m the only staff member from the room on duty and am expected to be in charge of the way the room runs. I do observations, delegate tasks to float staff, maintain nappy changing and meal time routines, housekeeping duties etc. I also work in the room next to my daughter with a shared playground, which is overwhelming enough without having to be responsible for running a room while the other staff from my room aren’t there.

User avatar
Lorina
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13842
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 am

Re: Expectations of a trainee?

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:38 pm

Ok regarding the wages as a room assistant you should be on Level 3A. Level 3A is for an Educator that is doing the responsibilities of a qualified cert 3 educator but is not qualified to do so.

As a Level 3:

This is an employee who has completed AQF Certificate III in Children's Services or an equivalent qualification or, alternatively, this employee will possess, in the opinion of the employer, sufficient knowledge or experience to perform the duties at this level. An employee appointed at this level will also undertake the same duties and perform the same tasks as a CSE Level 2.

Indicative duties:
Assist in the preparation, implementation and evaluation of developmentally appropriate programs for individual children or groups.
Record observations of individual children or groups for program planning purposes for qualified staff.
Under direction, work with individual children with particular needs.
Assist in the direction of untrained staff.
Undertake and implement the requirements of quality assurance.
Work in accordance with food safety regulations.

:geek:,
Lorina

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Re: Expectations of a trainee?

Post by Butterflyblue » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:10 pm

Lorina wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:22 pm
Butterflyblue wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:25 am
Lorina wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:48 pm
HI!

No, it doesn't sound fair. You are a trainee how can they expect you to do the same as a qualified Educator. Can you tell me what they expect you to do?

As for being paid at Level 1.1 - as a trainee, you will be on a different pay rate. From 01 July, the pay rates will be increasing so I will let you know once the changes come into effect.

:geek:,
Lorina
Hi Lorina,

I want to delete my posts and profile, how do I do it?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! You've offered such wonderful advice and helped a lot of Educators with your responses! May I ask why you want to be deleted?

:geek:,
Lorina

Hi Lorina,

I hoped I've helped out, unfortunately I'd rather not say.


Best of luck with everything

User avatar
Lorina
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13842
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 am

Re: Expectations of a trainee?

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:11 pm

Butterflyblue wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:10 pm
Lorina wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:22 pm
Butterflyblue wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:25 am


Hi Lorina,

I want to delete my posts and profile, how do I do it?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! You've offered such wonderful advice and helped a lot of Educators with your responses! May I ask why you want to be deleted?

:geek:,
Lorina

Hi Lorina,

I hoped I've helped out, unfortunately I'd rather not say.


Best of luck with everything
Ok fair enough. I will do it from my end. Thank you for your support over the years. If there is ever anything you need to discuss or have any issue with. You can always message me privately on FB. I'm here to support you as much as I can.

:geek:,
Lorina

Post Reply