Males In Childcare

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Re: Males in childcare

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:09 am

FACEBOOK POST

We currently have 2 males in our center but had 4 at one stage. I believe if doesn't matter what gender you are but how professional you are and what qualities you can bring to a service to make it better, I also believe that male educators are a fantastic asset to any team when working in early childhood education, having different perspectives and techniques, abilities and interests is what makes a good team our male educators are fantastic... I strongly dislike when males are discriminated against and don't see why people are so judgemental. I don't find it any different to a male teaching in primary school and feel having males in early childhood education is beneficial for all childrens learning to co exist with people of any gender.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 am

FACEBOOK POST

I Currently have a high school student doing their Duke of Edinburgh at my kinder. He does 2 hours once a week. And it’s the best thing ever.

The children love when he comes. They boss him around and love playing outdoor activities or cars/trains with him.

They love having a male at kinder.

He’s finished up now, he will be missed

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 am

FACEBOOK POST

We have 1 male working currently at our centre and he has been in childcare for several years. I also once worked in a centre where the 3 yrs old room had 3 males educators and no female educators. That was a very pleasant environment and definitely felt the difference (in a great way)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:11 am

FACEBOOK POST

Worked with 4 males over the past 10 years

Children absolutely love them

Need more male educators in the centres

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:12 am

FACEBOOK POST

There was/may still be a dedicated group for men working in ECE. You might have to google it.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:13 am

FACEBOOK POST

I have been in early childhood for 30 years and have only ever worked with one male. Unfortunately that was a bad experience he was more interested in gossip and looking at himself in the mirror. There were two men when I was studying, but they soon dropped out

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:14 am

FACEBOOK POST

As a educator myself. I think its great when there are male educators in a centre, there aren't enough in centres. Very few an far between. I also think its good because alot of children don't have a male role model in their life.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:15 am

FACEBOOK POST

The male educator that I worked with was fantastic but was more or less taken advantage of with the expectations that he also dedicate some of his time to be the handy tradesman on his educator wages. He worked well with the staff and the kids loved him. He was the most patient male that I had ever met. He has moved to another centre and is a total asset to their company.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

Most foreign teachers of English in Vietnam are men.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

My kids daycare use to have a male educator he was amazing!!! It's so important for the children he quit to be a stay at home dad. As a parent I dont like the idea of them changing nappies I no its sound sexist and I'm sure it is but the % speak for themselves ive so strictwith my kids only there father can change them and he agrees. But they are so need in the industry our centre has never had one I was devastated when the one left my kids centre he mostly worked in the school age or kindy. It would be really hard I suppose.