Describe what you will do to reduce the risk associated with each of the hazards listed below.

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Rencia
Contributor
Contributor

Describe what you will do to reduce the risk associated with each of the hazards listed below.

Post by Rencia » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:54 pm

Also could someone please check this question for me?

1. A parent has left a bottle of antibiotics on the teacher’s desk.
Action to be taken: Once I have identified the hazard I would assess the risk and implement the most effective control measure. In this case it is Eliminate so I will take the bottle and make sure it is out of reach of children. I will report it to my supervisor. He/she needs to make sure that the medication record form was filled in and make sure the medicine is stored securely (out of children’s access) and at the recommended temperature (eg in the locked fridge, cupboard etc). I would include this on our Risk Assessment form so we could keep record and reviewing control measures.

2. The rubbish bin in a room is overflowing
Action to be taken: I make sure that there is appropriate ratio in the room and will remove the rubbish from the room (empty the bin). All educators should be advised to check the bin regularly make sure that the bin is emptied after each session. It should be discussed during staff meeting and included in a Health and Safety Policy. After identifying hazard and eliminating it I would put it in writing on a Risk Assessment Form and inform others so they could be aware that the overflowing bin is also a hazard to children and adults. When we keep records for our hazards we can evaluate and review control measures.

3.A colleague is serving food to children with bare hands.
Action to be taken: I ask that person to properly wash their hands and wear gloves and apron or use a spoon for serving the food to prevent from cross-infection. We should have a clear Policy in place regarding handling food and make sure all educators are familiar with these. We should discuss the issue during staff meeting and also we could have posters in the kitchen or near dining area to remind all educators about a healthy food handling. The issue should be reported to the supervisor.

4. A child is playing in the midday sun without a hat or sunscreen.
Action to be taken: I will follow the settings sun protection policy and make sure that the child applies the sun-scream. Also I will check if the child has his own sun hat in a bag and make sure he plays in a shady place away from sun. If the child has no hat I would give him the spare one from the setting if that’s what the policy says and at the end of the day that hat would be washed to prevent cross-infection. Every time before we go outside all educators should be aware to check if all the children had the suns cream applied (ask parents when they drop-off the child), make sure all children are wearing hats. Educators need to be reminded about sun safety during staff meetings especially during summer. They should be familiar with centres Sun-Protection Policy. There should be posters on the wall or the door so the educators can see it.

5. You enter a room after lunch and find there is food on the floor
Action to be taken: I make sure that all the mess is cleaned up. I sweep the floor and mop and dry if necessary. Also making sure there is enough staff in a room to look after children while I am cleaning. Make sure the educators follow the routine, remind them about health and safety in a classroom during staff meeting. Also I would talk to my colleagues about the issue and ask them to make sure the floor is clean after each meal. (should I include this in a Risk Assessment form?)

6. A cleaning product has been left on the shelf in the classroom
Action to be taken: Once I have identified the hazard I would assess the risk and implement the most effective control measure. In this case it is Eliminate so I take the product straight away and make sure is out of reach of children. I would include this on our Risk Assessment form so we could keep result and reviewing control measures. I report it to my room leader and put the product in a laundry or other safe place where the cleaning products are kept. We should have a clear policy regarding cleaning products, how to use them, when and where to store them. There should be an appropriate routine and we should talk about this issue during staff meeting. Also simple safety signs should be available and in a visible place.

7. The collage trolley in a room is partially blocking a fire exit
Action to be taken: After identifying hazard I need to Eliminate it so I make sure that the trolley is moved in the other safe place and the fire exit is unblocked at all times. I ask colleague to help me out if necessary. I include this in a Risk Assessment Form and report it to my supervisor. We keep record of the hazard so we can evaluate and review control measures. There should be a clear sign on the fire exit door so the educators know the door should not be obstructed. Also we should have a clear Fire Emergency Policy and discuss the issue during staff meeting.

Is there anything else I need to include here? I have to state the correct reporting and controls and documentation which need to be done to ensure that the same situation is not repeated for each hazard. I am not sure if that's enough specially number 3, 4, 5

australia
Participator
Participator

Re: Describe what you will do to reduce the risk associated with each of the hazards listed below.

Post by australia » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:21 pm

i)You notice during one of the meal times that a child with a nut allergy has been given a muesli bar that may contain nuts.

ii)During lunchtime, you notice that a child with coeliac disease has been given regular bread in their sandwich, instead of gluten free bread.

could you please help me in that?

Padma

Re: Describe what you will do to reduce the risk associated with each of the hazards listed below.

Post by Padma » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:00 pm

Rencia wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:54 pm
Also could someone please check this question for me?

1. A parent has left a bottle of antibiotics on the teacher’s desk.

2. The rubbish bin in a room is overflowing
Action to be taken:

3.A colleague is serving food to children with bare hands.
Action to be taken: I ask that person to properly wash their hands and wear gloves and apron or use a spoon for serving the food to prevent from cross-infection. We should have a clear Policy in place regarding handling food and make sure all educators are familiar with these. We should discuss the issue during staff meeting and also we could have posters in the kitchen or near dining area to remind all educators about a healthy food handling. The issue should be reported to the supervisor.

4. A child is playing in the midday sun without a hat or sunscreen.
Action to be taken: I will follow the settings sun protection policy and make sure that the child applies the sun-scream. Also I will check if the child has his own sun hat in a bag and make sure he plays in a shady place away from sun. If the child has no hat I would give him the spare one from the setting if that’s what the policy says and at the end of the day that hat would be washed to prevent cross-infection. Every time before we go outside all educators should be aware to check if all the children had the suns cream applied (ask parents when they drop-off the child), make sure all children are wearing hats. Educators need to be reminded about sun safety during staff meetings especially during summer. They should be familiar with centres Sun-Protection Policy. There should be posters on the wall or the door so the educators can see it.

5. You enter a room after lunch and find there is food on the floor
Action to be taken: I make sure that all the mess is cleaned up. I sweep the floor and mop and dry if necessary. Also making sure there is enough staff in a room to look after children while I am cleaning. Make sure the educators follow the routine, remind them about health and safety in a classroom during staff meeting. Also I would talk to my colleagues about the issue and ask them to make sure the floor is clean after each meal. (should I include this in a Risk Assessment form?)

6. A cleaning product has been left on the shelf in the classroom
Action to be taken: Once I have identified the hazard I would assess the risk and implement the most effective control measure. In this case it is Eliminate so I take the product straight away and make sure is out of reach of children. I would include this on our Risk Assessment form so we could keep result and reviewing control measures. I report it to my room leader and put the product in a laundry or other safe place where the cleaning products are kept. We should have a clear policy regarding cleaning products, how to use them, when and where to store them. There should be an appropriate routine and we should talk about this issue during staff meeting. Also simple safety signs should be available and in a visible place.

7. The collage trolley in a room is partially blocking a fire exit
Action to be taken: After identifying hazard I need to Eliminate it so I make sure that the trolley is moved in the other safe place and the fire exit is unblocked at all times. I ask colleague to help me out if necessary. I include this in a Risk Assessment Form and report it to my supervisor. We keep record of the hazard so we can evaluate and review control measures. There should be a clear sign on the fire exit door so the educators know the door should not be obstructed. Also we should have a clear Fire Emergency Policy and discuss the issue during staff meeting.

Is there anything else I need to include here? I have to state the correct reporting and controls and documentation which need to be done to ensure that the same situation is not repeated for each hazard. I am not sure if that's enough specially number 3, 4, 5