Childcare Award Wages: Info on Pay, Leave, Hours, Rosters, Breaks etc.

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
drshoaib

Re: Childcare Award Wages: Info on Pay, Leave, Hours, Rosters, Breaks etc.

Post by drshoaib » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:34 am

Hi Nicole,

In regards to your questions:

"What do you mean by this? I cant make sense of it... "All paid time worked is counted..."
Yes, so I am paid for the hours I work...(is this what you mean?) but is a compulsory meeting always meant to be paid?"

Basically if a staff meeting is conducted outside of your normal working hours then you need to be paid either overtime or time in lieu.

So since you worked your 8 hours for the day and you came back for the meeting which is beyond your typical daily working hours...you should be paid overtime.

For your reference:family practice center
I read the Fairwork Award and it said we have up to 2 hours of after-hours work to attend things like parent-teacher meetings etc a month UNPAID(!!!???). That can't be right, right? Like if I am working, I am getting paid. Thats the exchange.
So, if this is true, if my company only holds a meeting every fortnight, and it runs for 2 hours each time... are they within their rights to only pay me 2 hours of the 4, to make up the 2 hours I apparently should donate each month?

I'm quite familiar with the Children's Service Award however I have never read that information before. Can you please tell me where you read that?

Thanks!

Anonymous21

Post by Anonymous21 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:31 pm

I was wondering looking back through my timeaheets there have been days that I was rostered on as a lead educator in a room yet usually I'm just an assistant in them or a float, however if I look at my payslips for all of these days I'm still paid as an assistant/float, is this normal? I am diploma qualified

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:55 pm

If you're an assistant diploma you will be on Level 3. 4 at the moment. For days you worked as a Room Leader you should be paid a Level 4.1, if you meet the following requirements:

If you’re engaged in higher duties for two or more consecutive hours you will be paid the time you spent at a higher rate, provided that:

- the greater part of the time so worked is spent in performing duties carrying the higher rate;
- if you are required to undertake the duties of another employee by reason of the latter employee’s absence for the purpose of attending (with pay) an approved training course (including in-service training) will not be entitled to payment under this clause.

So,if the room leader was sick and you had to take over then yes you should be paid the room leader pay rate,

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina