being moved from room leader to assistant can my pay be reduced

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
clownfish

being moved from room leader to assistant can my pay be reduced

Post by clownfish » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi Lorina ,
I am in NSW and was originally employed at a long day care centre as a cert 111 . This was a new centre that had just opened so all positions wernt clear at the time as a couple of days later I found out that I was the room leader for the nursery . I did originally sign a contract as a cert 111 qualified employee but it didnt have anything written about a room leader . Any how I was being payed at a level 3.1 until I found out i was being payed the same rate as a trainee without any formal qualifications so I discussed with my director that I should be payed more than the trainees and from there my pay progressed to a 3.3 . After reading the award I realised that I was performing duties relevant to a 4a.1 as I was studying my diploma as well as being room leader . My pay rate was then increased to a the level 4a.1 . 12 months had passed and had expected the level to increase to 4a.2 which it did not , but then neither did any other staff's pay points . At the end of last year the director decided that staff should change positions and I was put in a room as an assistant .
I have spoken to the owner about my pay and the fact that for nearly 2 years I wasnt on the right pay level and he begs to differ . I also thought that once I was on a particular pay level that couldnt be decreased just because my position had changed is this right ?and if so where can i find that written . I have since completed my diploma so does this mean that I should be on a level 4.1 if it is right in assuming my level cant go backwards.
regards
maree

Lorina

Re: being moved from room leader to assistant can my pay be reduced

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi Maree,

You were right to talk to your Director regarding your pay. You were paid at the wrong level. As a cert 3 qualified Educator in a room leader position, you should have been on a Level 4A, so it's good you got that issue sorted out.

Regarding pay - it does depend on your qualification as well as your position. If you are working as an Assistant Educator now, you are on Level 3.4 (which is the level for a Diploma qualified assistant).

If you continue working a Room Leader, you will be on Level 4.1 - since you have now completed your Diploma.

This may help:
Levels For Childcare Wages

Let me know if you have any further questions!

:geek:,
Lorina

clownfish

Post by clownfish » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks for your reply lorina . I was under the impression though that because i was already on level 4 I couldn't be put back on a level 3 plus there is another educator who was cert 111 working towards her diploma and when she got her diploma she was put on level 4.1. and she is an assistant .

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:42 pm

It depends on your position - a Diploma qualified assistant is at Level 3.4 unless you are a room leader then you move upto 4.1.
If another Assistant Educator is put onto 4.1 then that’s at the discretion of the director/owner. As per the Children’s Award a Diploma Assistant is Level 3.4.

:geek:,
Lorina