Room Leader Refusing To Change Nappies

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
180girl

Room Leader Refusing To Change Nappies

Post by 180girl » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:51 pm

I am so frustrated... At work I do a late shift, and recently I realized that the children's nappies aren't being changed in the mornings before I arrive. They're supposed to be done at 9, 11, 2 and 4 (plus whenever needed). I do the 11, 2 and 4 nappy changes every day but I realized my room leader isn't doing the 9am nappies at all. When I asked her about it, she said she was "always alone" in the room each morning and that she "didn't have time to do nappies". I asked another staff member and they said that my room leader is rarely alone in the room - because usually before 9am, or around then, we have enough children to need a second staff member. And "not having time" to do them... I don't know what she's doing if she doesn't have time, because there are only 1-3 children in nappies, and often when I arrive no diary/learning story has been done at all... and on top of that, nappies need to be changed whether you "have time" or not!

I don't know what to do. The children in nappies are there quite early in the morning, and could have been in their nappy for 4-5 hours by the time I change them at 11am. They need to be changed in the morning. I considered changing them as soon as I arrive to work (which is still much later than they should be done) but really, I should not have to pick up the slack like that. Honestly I don't expect her to change the nappies herself - since I don't think she has ever done the nappies here! - but she doesn't even ask the floaters in the room to do them or anything. They just aren't being done.

What do I do??

Lorina

Re: Room leader refusing to change nappies

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:27 am

Since you have already spoken to your room leader about this issue and the nappies are still not being changed then you need to go to the director with your concern. It is not your job or position to ask the floaters to change the nappies before you arrive to work so your director needs to step in and either talk to the room leader about it or ask the floater to do it. For a child being in a wet or soiled nappy for a long time is uncomfortable and can cause nappies rash and infection. So, it's in the best interest of the children that you speak to the director about this issue so they can handle it. You have done all you can from your end...

Hope you get it sorted soon,

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:17 am

FACEBOOK POST

This is why I dislike room leaders in centres, I used always like the old way where each staff member was accountable, And each person felt valued for their input.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:18 am

FACEBOOK POST

I’m a room leader and i do nappies every day. Some days I do 1 round others I do non some days I do all all 4 rounds.

Not all room leaders are bad!

I share the load of everything in my room with my assistant who I actually appreciate so much.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:19 am

FACEBOOK POST

Speak to your service manager about your concerns.

If you have a health and well-being leader I would also speak to them and advocate for the children.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:19 am

FACEBOOK POST

I am the centre cook (qualified) and 2-3 times a week do lunch relief as required (no cooking after lunch relief) I always change nappies and clean up accidents accordingly as required. Nothing is beneath or above a staff member that works in a room no matter what their qualifications.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:20 am

FACEBOOK POST

I’m a Lead Educator and I change nappies. It’s everyone’s responsibility to fulfil the needs of the children which includes changing nappies.

Regardless of their “job title” your responsibility to the children’s needs and safety remains the same. I mean my amazing educational leader even jumps in and changes children and nappies and my director even jumps in to help the team and mops the floors, cleans the bathrooms anything that is needed.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:20 am

FACEBOOK POST

Let ur director deal with it!

These things should be logged so theres a record. Of it all also.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:21 am

FACEBOOK POST

Leaving children in nappies is neglect.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:21 am

FACEBOOK POST

She shouldn't be working in childcare.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:22 am

FACEBOOK POST

Report her to director if not as a mandatory reporter she is neglecting the needs of that child especially if they are non verbal

She is a disgrace to our sector

This is everywhere

She should be held accountable

Not only is she causing discomfort for these children

While they could be sitting in an over night nappy

It's cause for concern

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:23 am

FACEBOOK POST

Discuss in your meeting that everyone needs to change nappies no status in that I am a director and I change nappies it’s our job to keep health and hygiene in the service at all times what happened to team collaboration

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:23 am

FACEBOOK POST

What is your centre policy. What are the routines in regard to nappy changing. I would be bringing it up to management and addressed in a meeting so not to single anyone out. Everyone should be working as one unit and each job is shared.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:24 am

FACEBOOK POST

So if room leaders doesn't want to change nappy I can refuse not to do papers works is this fair but it wasn't l, everyone take turns to change nappy, in this case she/or he shouldn't be a room leader then..

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:24 am

FACEBOOK POST

I’m the room leader and doing everything in the room.. changing nappies, managing challenging children, doing daybooks and supervising all the kids. Casuals ( who are working for long time ) refusing to do nappies. Can’t manage the children and when incidents happens during my absence when I’m on the break…. They don’t even know what happened to the child and refused to write the reports.

At the end Room leader have no energy and thinking to leave the place.

No wonder why staff is leaving.

Casuals just get the jobs once they enter, they make excuses for physical health.

If they are physically not fit they shouldn’t work in the centre. Its not only about covering the staff ratio they share room duties too.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:25 am

FACEBOOK POST

Just because your lead doesn’t mean you don’t do your job

Nappies are everyone’s responsibility

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:25 am

FACEBOOK POST

What is the centre policy?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:26 am

FACEBOOK POST

If the nappy change chart isnt being filled in before your later start, then take that to your director as evidence the childrens nappies arent being changed

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:26 am

FACEBOOK POST

a good room leader works in a partnership with all other staff.. she either has not been in this age group before and therefore hasn't thought of doing nappy changes or and I'm sad to say this, she may feel it's beneath her.. sadly when some room leaders get their quals, they feel the day to day stuff does involve them anymore.