Childcare levels

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
trish73
Participator
Participator

Childcare levels

Post by trish73 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:33 pm

Hi, I started working as a casual educator which I have been on and off since my early 20s, but now in my 40s I realised in my heart that being an educator is what I meant to be doing. But I am grateful to try other careers.
The thing is, I do not always want to work as a casual educator; it suits my lifestyle now, but I would like to work as a full time or part-time role. I have my certificate 3 in childcare, but I never really had the experience to do observations because most centres do not allow casuals to do observations.
I also finished an art degree, which at the time I was going to become an art teacher for secondary students, but I realise now I want to work with the younger children. I am now deciding if I should continue to study Masters of early childhood teaching, or a diploma level educator, or just stick with being a casual educator because there is plenty of work as a casual educator with less responsibility and less paperwork.
When I work as a casual, I mainly see the room leader or teacher off the floor and never really see them spend time with the children because they are busy with observation and programming, but the role could be rewarding.
Just say if I studied a diploma in education or Masters in early childhood teaching, could I choose to work at any level, but still be paid at a diploma or early childhood teacher level? For example, If I studied Masters in early childhood education and if teaching is not meant for me, could I work as a room leader or a level 3 educator, or a casual and still be paid as a teachers level wage?

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Childcare levels

Post by Butterflyblue » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:00 am

No you cannot be paid as an ECT at every/any level.
For example if the role is for a diploma qualified educator you can't take the role on as an ECT and be paid accordingly. Services don't do this as you would be over qualified for the role.

You will only receive a higher remuneration
if your employer chooses to pay above award rates for a diploma qualified educator.

One of the benefits of having multiple qualifications is you do not have to use your highest qualification/bound to one which allows more flexibility. So if you prefer a different level of responsibility, job or want to switch etc there aren't any issues as long as your qualification is approved by ACECQA.

You can read more on the awards here:
http://awardviewer.fwo.gov.au/award/show/MA000120

and find more on careers as an ECT's here:
https://joboutlook.gov.au/occupations/e ... nCode=2411

Hope that's helpful :)

trish73
Participator
Participator

Post by trish73 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:36 pm

Thanks for your reply,

Just to clarify if got a diploma in early childhood and after I worked as a room leader and it wasn't for me, and I worked as level 3 educator instead, would I just be paid the level 3 ?
Or if I got my Masters in education 0-5 years and I found out if teaching was not for me, and I decided to work as a room leader, would I just be paid level 4 level, or if I worked as level 3, I get paid level 3?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:17 am

As a Diploma Qualified Room Leader you will be paid as a Level 4.

As a Diploma Qualified Assistant you will be paid no less than a Level 3.4.

As an ECT of the service you will be paid the ECT Award.

With an ECT degree, you will be paid as a Level 4 if you are not the ECT of the service.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Eliana321

Post by Eliana321 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:29 pm

Thank you for helping.