CHCCS400C - Scenario: Unable To Contact Smiths For Elliot's Behaviour

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
HBALearner

CHCCS400C - Scenario: Unable To Contact Smiths For Elliot's Behaviour

Post by HBALearner » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:13 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCS400C Work within a relevant legal and ethical framework
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Q1:
Elliot Smith (4.4 years) attends child care 5 days per week. The Smiths are solicitors and both parents work long hours. Elliot is usually collected from the service by his grandmother. Elliot’s behaviour is becoming increasingly defiant towards educators and aggressive towards peers. The educator, Lee, has made several attempts to share his concerns with the Smiths but because they are too busy Lee has made little progress.
Today Mr Smith arrives at the children’s service to collect Elliot. Lee can’t recall Mr Smith ever collecting Elliot.
Mr Smith approaches Lee: “I want to talk to you about feedback I have had about my son. In fact I want to make a formal complaint.”
Lee asks Mr Smith to accompany him to the office where they can talk privately.
Lee: “Can you tell me the nature of your complaint?”
Mr Smith: “I sure can. At a dinner party the other night I was told by two different parents whose children are in Elliot’s group that Elliot is badly behaved and always in trouble. If this is true why haven’t my wife and I been told?”
Lee: “I’m sorry you had to hear that Mr Smith. Elliot’s behaviour is a concern. He can be extremely negative and aggressive. I did try to discuss this with you several times.”
Mr Smith: “Well you obviously didn’t try hard enough. You could have emailed me to make an appointment for us to see you. Now I have to deal with other people talking about my son.”
Lee: “Actually Mr Smith I asked your wife to meet with me to discuss Elliot’s behaviour on several occasions but she has not had the time to talk to me. In fact I sent her an email just last week to remind her to make a time with me to sit down and talk.”
Mr Smith: “My wife didn’t mention any of this. Why wouldn’t she tell me? You’re making this up to cover yourself. I want to speak to the Director!”
Using the ‘Blue Bay Model Complaints Policy’ as a guide, What information might the Director seek before meeting with the Smiths?

Q2 List three areas of legislation that Children’s Services and Educators must comply with.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Q1:
the Director will investigate and speak to relevant staff Lee:
1. Advise if Lee was aware of this grievance. For example, has Lee made any attempts to share his concerns with the Smiths? What was the Smiths response? Has Lee told his concerns to other colleagues?
2. State the nature of the problem. To assess how serious the Smiths complaint is.
3. Advise of the possible causes. The Director needs to investigate complaint through telephone the relevant staff, question staff members, take written statements, conduct formal interviews, or seize evidence.
4. What the Director and relevant staff believe should be done to rectify the Smiths grievance.

Q2:
Education and Care Services National Law
Education and Care Services National Regulations
National Quality Framework (incorrect), so i wanna know the 3rd one please.

Description and Message:
I am stuck in these question, can anyone help me please?
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCCS400C - Scenario: Unable To Contact Smith For Elliot's Behaviour

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:49 am

For Q1 you're on the right track with your response. You can also include:

- Confidentiality issue. Why are parents talking to he Smiths about this issue? How do they know?
- Discussion with Mrs Smith about receiving an email that Lee sent regarding a meeting.
- Communicating strategies between home and the centre which need to be improved.

For Q2, you listed the correct ones that you need to go through to find 3 points within these documents that educators must follow. For e.g. privacy and confidentiality, grievances etc.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

HBALearner

Re: CHCCS400C - Scenario: Unable To Contact Smiths For Elliot's Behaviour

Post by HBALearner » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:17 pm

Thank you very much!

ksengar
Participator
Participator

Post by ksengar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:06 pm

with the same scenario how to answer:
Using your organization’s complaints policy (Or Blue Bay’s) as a guide, list the steps that Lee needs to follow to address a parent complaint?

ksengar
Participator
Participator

Post by ksengar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:16 pm

is this the right answer:

If the grievance or complaint is considered by the parent to be serious it must be put in writing and given to the Director.
Where a parent makes a verbal complaint to an educator the educator should in the first instance attempt to resolve the complaint by asking the parent what solution she/he is seeking. Verbal complaints, if resolved should be documented by the educator and this documentation is given to the Director. If the complaint cannot be resolved the educator must refer the complaint and the parent to the Director.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:09 pm

Yes, you're on the right track!

:geek:,
Lorina