CHCCS400B Work within a legal and etical framework. QLD

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Krissy
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

CHCCS400B Work within a legal and etical framework. QLD

Post by Krissy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:19 pm

his could anyone share any light on this for me to see if i'm aswering these correctly. during to not working atm it is hard to get the help i need.

Case Study 1

Presanthi and her husband Jim have their child, Sue-Lyn, in your service. Presanthi and Jim have not arrived to collect Sue-Lyn at their usual time. A lady comes into the service later and says her name is Mandy, she tells you she is here to collect Sue-Lyn as both parents Presanthi and Jim are late home from work.

• Clearly explain what action you would take in this situation. Detail all steps involved.
I would get the group leader on duty, check if Mandy is on the pick-up/drop off names for Sue-Lyn. If Mandy is not on the list I would ask the group leader if she/he would like me to call the parents to confirm Mandy as a pick-up person and if they agree get a copy of her ID to be placed on file and ask Sue-Lyn’s parents to add Mandy to the pick-up/drop-off list.
• Explain why you have taken this action in relation to childcare regulations, duty of care, parental responsibility and service policies and procedures.
As the Mandy is unknown to the centre or the staff at the centre, all checks need to be taken. Child’s pick-up/drop-off form needs to be checked, parents need to be notified if the person isn’t on the list, ID needs to be checked to verify the person. Following the centres policies and Procedures in relation to Child Protection Act 1999, Child Care Act 2002 and Childcare Regulations 2003.

Case Study 2

A parent of a four-year-old child comes to make a complaint about one of the other staff members who works in the same room as you. The parent says they staff member ignores her child and often yells loudly at her child. You have also heard your colleague yell at children occasionally.

• Detail how you could handle the parent’s complaint.
I would suggest to the parent to voice their concerns with the director first then I would ask the parent if they would like to make a formal complaint so that the situation can be investigated. If so I would assist them to take the appropriate steps as set out in the centres complaints policy. It is my legal obligation to report the behaviour that I have witnessed to my supervisor.

• What policies and legislation could you refer to when handling this matter?
Complaints policies

Case Study 3
You work in a childcare centre. You have noticed that Charlie (three years) has been very challenging in recent times. She does not follow directions by staff, is aggressive in her behaviour with children and staff and does not appear to concentrate or attend to task. You notice one day that Charlie has bruising on the inside of her legs and bruising on her arms.

• What should you do? Provide a step-by-step account of your actions.
Document the bruising and the challenging behaviour down in a note book that can be kept in her folder. Let your group leader know about it so the matter can be passed onto the Director.

• Clearly explain your responsibilities in this matter relating to child protection requirements.
Duty of care responsibilities

Case Study 4

You are out one night in a local club with your friends when you see one of the parents from the centre. The parent comes over to your group and starts talking about one of the families at the service where you are employed. She mentions that she has seen one family that attends the service leaves their two children under five years of age locked in the car while they play the various gaming machines in the club.

• How should you deal with the situation at the time? What would you say?
Explain to the parent that you are there for a good night and don’t wish to discuss other parents from the centre.

• What concerns do you have with this situation? Relate your answer to relevant legal and ethical guidelines.
Confidentiality

• How would you deal with the information the parent shared with you?
Discuss with your director when you go back to work.

Assessment 2 Part A

While in your workplace or on work placement, talk to the service director or coordinator and familiarise yourself with relevant service policy documents in order to answer the follow.
• What policies and procedures are in place to maintain confidentiality and ensure the privacy of children and families?
Confidentiality

• What policies and procedures are in place to manage complaints from children and/or parents?
Complaint Policy

• What policies and procedures are in place regarding child protection?
Child Protection Policy

• What agreements are made between the service and parents when children are enrolled?

Some of the agreements that are made (and usually are signed by the parent in the enrollment form) are:
1) Dietary Requirements-the centre agrees to give child the correct dietary requirements.
2) Photos/Videos etc - consent for centre to take photos/videos of child to use for observations, website etc.
3) Authorized Collection - agreement is made about who is authorized to collect the child.
4) Medical Emergency - in case of emergency, if the centre is able to provide further medical aid.

• In your own words describe how each of these policies and agreements protect the rights of clients (families and children) who use the service.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Do these policies and agreements meet regulatory and quality assurance requirements? Support your answer with four clear examples.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• What are the key areas of legal and ethical responsibility of an unqualified childcare worker in this service?
• Provide an excellent service to all external and internal clients.
• To assist with the development, implementation and evaluation of children's daily routines including arrivals, departures, eating, sleeping, cleaning up and meals.
• To assist with implementation of a high quality early childhood program.
• Work in accordance with the legislative requirements under the Children’s Services Centres Regulations 1998 and the Children’s Services Act 1996.
• To participate enthusiastically with the children in their daily activities.
• Actively participate in the National Childcare Accreditation and Quality Improvement System.
• Undertake work with individual children with additional needs under direction.
• Communicate with parents and staff regarding individual children in care and reporting observations when necessary.
• Respect the confidentiality of information regarding children and families in care.
• Assist with children’s personal needs and routines.
• Perform a range of physical tasks to support the health, safety and well being of children in care.
• Be a supportive and active member of the Family Services team and attend staff meetings as required.
• Ensure the policies of the Centre and Council are promoted and practiced.
• Undertake additional duties as required in the general running of the Centre.
• Commit to abide by the Australian Early childhood Association Code of Ethics and all Council and centre policies.

• As a worker in this job role how could you contribute to the development of policies?
Go to staff meetings to contribute to policy development.

• Include copies of the policies relating to confidentiality, complaints and child protection and an assistants job description. If your service does not allow this read then summarise these documents.

Any help will do thanks in advance.

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: CHCCS400B Work within a legal and etical framework. QLD

Post by Steffelz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Krissy,
the first one looks all good, Ive just finished that assignment so Ill go back and have a look at it and get back to you soon, hopefully tonight

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steffelz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:09 pm

CASE STUDY 2:
Detail how you could handle the parent’s complaint.
I would suggest to the parent that they discuss their concern with the director and try and sort it out. I could help them arrange a meeting where the parent and the director could discuss and resolve the matter in private.
I am legally obligated to report the behavior that I have witnessed to the director as well. The director will then take up the issue with the staff member and try and resolve the issue. If the behavior continues the next step would be to take the appropriate steps to file a complaint

What policies and legislation could you refer to when handling this matter?
Policies and legislation that could be referred to when handeling this specific matter includec(but are not limited to)
- Code of Ethics
- Parent Grievence Policy
- Occupational Stress Management Policy
- The right to lodge a complaint
- Privacy Act
- Privacy and Confidentiality Policy
- Agreed Standard of Care Policy

CASE STUDY 3
What should you do
As soon as I feel like something is not right, and have Identified the initial Risk of Harm Indicator(s) , I need to immediately discuss this suspected risk of harm with the Service/Center Director or Team leader.

I would then consider and document the following ( along with the Director/Team Leader):
- Whether there are a group of indicators or one single one
- The context of what you already know about the child and her family and culture
- The context of the indicators
- The child’s typical behaviour
- What is known about the family situation
- Temperament of the child
- Any history of abuse
- Family Background
- Any unexplained behaviour
- Any unexplained signs of physical abuse

Next I need to accurately record relevant circumstances in relation to risk of harm, according to the Service/Center policies and procedures, ethics and legal requirements.

Records should include:
- The date and time of the recording(s)
- A description of the injury (injuries) e.g.; size, shape colour etc.
- Location of the injuries (often easiest shown with a simple body outline and mark the position of the injury on the body
- Any explanation of the injury, given by the parent and/or the child
- Observations of the child’s behaviour at the time of the recording
- Current family circumstances

I also need to:
- Record any unusual behaviour and/or marked behavioural changes in the child over recent months
- Record any evidence of injury and/or neglect over recent months
- Record any evidence regarding suspected abuse
- Follow any other State/Territory Specific legislative requirements.

The director/team leader would then hand over the records and evidence and information to the appropriate authorities, and report the situation officially. The authorities will then investigate the situation

Clearly explain your responsibilities in this matter relating to child protection requirements.
- I am legally and morally obligated to report if I have a reasonable suspicion of risk of harm that can
be substantiated by recorded observations.

- I need to be aware and alert to indicators of risk of harm and be able to recognise and report
concerns regarding suspected harm or protection issues.

- Detect stress in a family that may lead to a child being in an "at risk" situation

- I am legally required to use the process of Mandatory Reporting to report suspected cases of child
abuse and neglect.

- I need to help to protect children from abuse and neglect.

- I need to be able to implement practices to protect children.

- I need to comply with lawful instructions, regulations and duty of care in all work .

- I am responsible for advocating on behalf of children.

- I must accurately and objectively record any current concerns of risk of harm.

- I need to report my concerns to my immediate supervisor.

- I need to ask questions without accusing

- I need to report current concerns the authorities via my supervisor

- I need to know the my Services established policies and procedures for reporting risk of harm

- I need to be approachable so that children feel that they can tell me if they are in harmful situations.

- I need to support children if they ask for help.

Thats as much as I can find at the moment

Krissy
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Krissy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:49 am

thank you this heaps alot