Work experience - recognition of prior learning.

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
cng195

Work experience - recognition of prior learning.

Post by cng195 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:09 pm

I've been working in the childcare industry for the past year, and I'm currently getting ready to do the work placement for my diploma.

I was wondering if most courses recognise prior learning or experience in the industry. I wasn't able to find out much from my provider (TAFE NSW), but there was a line in the work placement section saying - "If you are currently working in an Australian Licensed Child Care Centre or you would like further information about Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) contact xxx". (I did contact and am awaiting their reply!)...

Does anyone know what this means in relation to work placements? I assume I will still need to complete the 120 hour work placement because of all the on the job assessments, but is it possible to just cover the final management cluster? I feel like I have adequate 'work experience' already, and I've spent way way more than 120hours on the job, but is this irrelevant as far as TAFE is concerned? I will be doing my placement at my current workplace, and my role at work will not change apart from swapping rooms so I can work with all age levels.

Lorina

Re: Work experience - recognition of prior learning.

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:13 am

Recognition Of Prior Learning means that you may be given credit for a module or units of study based on your previous qualifications, skills or prior knowledge. In order to gain RPL you will need to apply for it and you will need to provide sufficient evidence of your skills and knowledge in order to gain credit for previous experiences. If you have been working in childcare some of the evidence required will be resume, job description, references from your work of your duties, tasks and responsibilities, samples of your work etc.

I found some information from TAFE NSW that may help:

Recognition Of Prior Learning

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A