Vocational Placement!

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Jeska

Vocational Placement!

Post by Jeska » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi all...
I study by correspondence and i don't have any kids or ever worked in a childcare center and have just started my vocational placement.
Was just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on what i should be doing??
Like i interact with the children and everything fine but in terms of what i should actually be doing, am i just meant to be observing? Am i meant to correct them? And actually teach them am just stuck?

When do i know if i am ready for someone to visit the centre and watch me?

I ask my mentors n teacher what they would like me to do but they just give me jobs to do nothing related to my course so any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks

Lorina

Re: Vocational Placement!

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:42 am

Hi Jeska,

I remember how nervous I was when I started working with children. Although you learn pretty quickly what needs to be done after a couple of weeks. What you are doing sounds right, interact with the children and work with the team. You will also notice that there are a few duties that you may be ask to do:

they just give me jobs to do nothing related to my course

This is fairly typical as alot of our work during the day involves cleaning duties. Don't take it personally it's just part of the job. Basically when you are at the centre not only observe the children but also observe what the other staff do and offer your help throughout the day. For example, putting sunscreen and hats on children, setting up activities within the room, getting art n craft ready for the day, picking up toys off the floor, during group time sit with the children and get involved by singing songs and offering to read stories. It is also a good idea to introduce yourself to the parents and you could tell them about what their child did throughout the day. You could also help out by filling out any information charts or checklist that needs to be done.

in terms of what i should actually be doing, am i just meant to be observing?

Normally when going on work placement, there are certain parts of your assignment that you can only do when you are on work placement. Like observing a child, setting up a specific learning environment, writing learning stories etc. This should be outlined in your modules and assignments. Just have a read through it and see if it mentions anything... if not I suggest you contact your tutor and ask them.

When do i know if i am ready for someone to visit the centre and watch me?

Depending on how long your work placement is, you normally let your course advisors know that you are currently doing work placement and they usually set up a time with you to come and visit. If you are doing placement for 3 weeks you could do it in the second week because you will probably be more settled in by then.

If in doubt, just contact the institute where you're doing your Diploma from and speak to someone from there...

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:51 pm

I would get whoever you do your course through to speak to your placement people about what you need to be doing but I know its hard but ask questions, ask if they will let you do things with the children eg story time or some activity, as long as the GL is in the room it should be fine
I have had plenty of people doing their placements with me and I get them to share classroom duties but that is not solely what I will get them to do, they are there to learn so I let them, I make them do paperwork alongside me and discipline the children and do activities and come up with ideas.
We GLs are not gods ..... we were all once in your position but sadly I see a lot who forget that and do not wish to share their experiences and knowledge. I prime eg is when i took over as GL at my last center and was cleaning the loo and a float assistant came running to me and said "what are you doing?" errrr cleaning the toilet ... "no no you are GL you don't clean toilets!" (assistant was chinese lady in 40s ... just to give you context) ... at this point she and I were tugging at the mop saying "no no i will do it!" I WON :)
she said (afterwards) she had never worked for a GL who had done such a thing... the last GL in the room had not even let her talk to the children let alone do anything else!! I was shocked and saddened.

If you dont ask you don't get so if GL is about to do something u feel u can do just say "do you mind if i do that with them?" If she is a 1/2 decent GL she will appreciate your willingness

Good luck

Jeska

Post by Jeska » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Thankyou both so much :)
has helped alot :) im only doing one day a week until i have done 240 hours so i should get the hang of it soon :)

Thanks heaps