placement - cleaning jobs only

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
tania34

placement - cleaning jobs only

Post by tania34 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:58 pm

hi i just started my placement and all i seem to do is get the cleaning jobs and run around asking ppl for things so far,i dont get included in afternoon snack times and the educators like to ignore my questions alot,what is placemnt meant to be like?

tania34

Re: placement

Post by tania34 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:06 pm

also they are quite sour,i also heard the educators arguing about jobs and the use of a bad word whilst the children were awake,18mth-2year room so they can understand

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:45 pm

That is sad to hear tania34.
I assume you are asking to be included in other things such as activities/snack time etc. If you are keeping quiet they may just assume that you are happy to be doing the sweeping etc. I have had a number of ppl do pracs with me and I love it if they just get in there and start doing activities with kids. Not standing back and waiting. Especially things like, if there are quiet children who don't join in much, taking a special interest in them and encouraging them to join in.
If you are doing all of this though and still no luck, I would ask to talk to a supervisor.
Hope it gets better for you
Cathiek

tania34

Post by tania34 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:06 pm

i am a shy and quiet person myself so yes i do just do as im asked because in out placement manual it says that i must aslways do what im asked by the room leader.They havent included me in snack once yet,they sit out and stuff their faces with the fruit and i dont get to be involved at all.I always play with the children though,i love it.I make sure i talk to the quiet ones as i was like that as a child and no one showed interest in me.
I thought everyone would make me feel welcome and show me where everything is kept etc,they just tell me to go off and do it so then im left askin 20 questions and they seem angry

CCare Consultant

Post by CCare Consultant » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi Tania34,

Sorry to hear of your experience.

Are you doing a traineeship? how long is your placement for?
Its common that most centres try and use students as cheap labour.... If you are not doing a traineeship and you can change providers than perhaps try another centre? Just ensure that you have a new centre lined up prior to leaving the first one.

All the best

rgs.