Industry Placement

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
NLIS007

Industry Placement

Post by NLIS007 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:02 pm

I start my placement soon, please could you tell me about what happens the first day, I'm very nervous.
Should I offer to do anything and everything while I'm there and get involved with activities

syakira
Helper
Helper

Re: Industry Placement

Post by syakira » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:26 pm

A very good topic.

What happens: It may look very hectic on your first day and you need to become familiar with the day to day routines. You get used to it after the first week.

REMEMBER to Introduce yourself to the staff and where you are studying (institute). Wear your uniform if you have one.

Also introduce yourself to the parents that you meet.

Ask the staff what times are you break times and for how long.

Let the staff know if you are studying Diploma or Certificate 3 level.

Let staff know how many hours of work experience you need to complete and specify what days you are going to do your work experience. Let the staff know what time you start and finish.

Show the staff what tasks you need to complete during work experience to be competent. Let staff know if they need to fill out the time sheet or make comments about your progress during work experience.

Ask where you can leave your handbag and lunch. Ask where the staff toilets are.

Plenty of interaction with the children, go down on the child's level when talking

Communicate with the staff as well

Ask the director if they need any additional information so they can photocopy it (working with children check, blue card, police check)

be enthusiastic, take initiative and be willing to learn. Participate in the activities.

Help the staff with the transitional routines such as getting ready for lunch, or sleep time.

Angellhart
Participator
Participator

Post by Angellhart » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Once you have done the induction type things like being shown around, where you can leave your things and told about breaks, etc.... when you are actually on the floor the worst thing you can do is just sit back and do nothing! In our room we like people who take initative, have ideas and can see what needs doing and does it like at rest time in our room is cleaning time - its always good when newbies ask what they can do or say "do you want me to clean the floors" etc. Its a good idea to have some things you might want to do with the children - its always nice when someone comes in with some new ideas to do.

If your stuck for ideas just ask "what would you like me to do" or "how can I help!?"....

NLIS007

Post by NLIS007 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:38 pm

thanks everyone I am going to do my best there, show them I'm a great worker and learner! I have met them but of course it was very rushed cause they were so busy so kinda awkward I left the centre not knowing and mostly wondering about whats to come.

Angellhart
Participator
Participator

Post by Angellhart » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:00 pm

It is hard to show newbies the ropes so as mentioned just try to get familliar with the room routine and the children so you can sort of expect whats happening next. Once you know all that the rest gets easier :)

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:55 am

Take a deep breath & just be yourself. The kids always love it if you offer to do something with them, read a book, play puppets, whatever. So if you aren't being asked to do a specific task, just interact with the kids. they will love it and so will you. Don't be afraid to ask questions - no-one expects you to know where everything is and the daily routine yet so get in there & have fun!
Enjoy yourself & let us all know how you go.
Cathie

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:32 pm

Agree with the others, BE yourself, intro yourself to all staff not just ones in the room you are in. You cld do up a lil letter with a pic that you can ask the GL to put up to let parents know who you are and why your there. Get involved as much as you can, Your there not to just help your studying but learn. SO DO NOT BE SCARED to ASK QUESTIONS or to ASK FOR HELP if you can not remember where things are or how they are done.

but mostly ENJOY your time :)