Lack of confidence in language (new educator from other culture background)

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
greensleeve

Lack of confidence in language (new educator from other culture background)

Post by greensleeve » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi, dear all, so glad to find this forum to discuss some of the issues concern me recently.

I am completing my diploma and recently got a job in a LDC near my home, which is so great. However after the first 2 weeks I gradually feel less confident than I first started as I am not a native English speaker. Although I can read and write and communicate on 1 to 1 basis quite well, a lot times I do not know how to describe the toy, the activity or some of the daily usage of language in the working environments.

Also I sometimes do not know how to make small talks with co-workers and parents. These make me feel like being left out of the group ( other staff are ok but we know as everyone are busy so no time to be very supportive).

At the beginning I have thought to study higher to become an ECT but now I feel I am geting a cold feet.

I am wondering, as an educator, do you work with educators with different language background and how do you think they could make up their language barrier and how important is language ability in childcare settings? (Most conversations I am totally fine but I still can be easily detected that I am not native since the way I speak, the words I used are not totally native and this is hard to change)

Thank you guys. So grateful if

Lorina

Re: Lack of confidence in language (new educator from other culture background)

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Being a native speaker is not a barrier! Having someone like you from another culture is a great benefit for the centre and you can incorporate your first language with the children as well such as teaching them songs, counting, greetings etc. As for you describing activities/toys etc. these words will come with practice. Read up on samples of documentation, read the EYLF, to gain an awareness of the language used and you can begin to incorporate it when talking to the educators. It's fine... you'll get used to it!

I can give you more information if you would like in what words to use etc.

Let me know!

:geek:,
Lorina

greensleeve

Post by greensleeve » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:48 am

Thank you Lorina, it will be so great!

grtz

Post by grtz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:22 pm

exactly depicts my situation too. I am doing my workplacement in one of the G8 group. I am not totally what I was when I started my workplacement. I mean in a negative way. lost all my confidence . Though I was so good academically, having very good understanding of EYLF and all , as my accent is different to other native speakers, I feel so shy to talk to other educators. how to overcome this, how to get Aussie accent. i didn't go to any English class here as i don't have any problem in reading and writing. But feeling so stressed out now due to my accent.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:28 pm

You can't feel bad about your accent, it's a part of who you are, it's part of your identity!

The more you interact with others and talk you will get better at the pronunciation of English words and gain more confidence.

Lorina

Carolroennau

Post by Carolroennau » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Im feeling similar to you! I'm actually communicating with staff and parents sometimes, but I struggle understanding what children say. Some of them speak very low and not looking at me. When the room is noisy I have to keep asking them to repeat and at the end I still can't understand. I feel so bad for that, I want them to know I'm listening to them. I value this so much.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:11 am

Do you get down low to the child's height when speaking to them or when they try and talk to you?

When a child is talking, encourage them to look at you and talk.

If a child is speaking too quietly you can simply ask them, "can you please talk loudly".

Giving your full attention, to the child, asking them questions, talking with them and engaging with them, let's them know that you are listening to them.

So, you're doing a good job!

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:12 am

Also just wanted to add inside the room shouldn't be so noisy where you can't hear each other speak... remember to remind children to use their "inside voices"...

Lorina

Nandy84
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nandy84 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:45 pm

Hello,

It is always good to have diversity in the childcare industry. It helps children to understand diversity. You can teach children small words such as how to greet! How to say Goodbye! How to say thank you in your native language.

And apart from this if you are feeling troubled in speaking any other language you need to practice hard. Try to stay calm, speak slowly, Practice speaking with other non-native speakers. Do not worry!! It will be alright with time!

Happy Teaching!

Thank you

Nandita