talk about staff nail

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ja9uar

talk about staff nail

Post by ja9uar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:51 pm

hi

is there any one aware of nail thing... regulation or policy in any childcare talk about the nail of the staff?

Lorina

Re: talk about staff nail

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:58 pm

Do you mean like wearing nail polish or having long nails??

I think there is a centre policy that staff should keep their nails short because you could scratch a child..

My nails don't grow anyways so I don't really worry bout it... :giggle:

It will be interesting to find out!

:geek:,
L.A

ja9uar

Post by ja9uar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:06 pm

hi L.A

both, long nail and nail polish

i grow my nail summer time but winter time most of the time it is short

because we discuss about it

because some girls prefer to have long nails with nail polish

that's why i wana ask for any references... so that we can put the references if some of the childcare centre implement some of the

policy like this...

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:22 am

Hi Ja9uar,

I did some research and I can't find a specific regulation that mentions anything about keeping fingernails short or not wearing nail polish. However, there are quite a few centre policies and childcare employment handbooks that do ask their staff to keep their fingernails short and wear no nail polish. This is mainly because of personal hygiene, spread of germs and it's also in accordance with the food safety procedures. If you have long nails while working in childcare it does cause a few concerns. Like I mentioned in my earlier post you could end up scratching a child, germs can transfer from under your nails into food and contaminant surfaces etc. With the nail polish I guess it's because it can also spread germs. I think it's up to the specific centre you are working at to decide whether or not to implement a "nail policy". I completely understand how nice it looks when you do up your nails but maybe you could do it over the weekend and then remove it before going to work....

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:46 am

I have never come across a regulation about nails but my last centre in policy said staff had to be clean and hygenic ... wear minimal jewellery and short nails.
I always have my nails short because as mentioned before it can be very easy to accidentally scratch a child.
Personally I do not understand people who I see who have immaculate acrylic nails (or their own) and work in childcare. To me a nail of any length that can hurt a child is a NO NO. There should be a regulation saying no long nails and specify that nails not longer than the finger IYKWIM and no nail polish ... if I ever become a Director it will certainly be my policy and I will def check it

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:08 am

by L.A » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:58 pm
My nails don't grow anyways so I don't really worry bout it...

thats funny...lol.. :giggle:

by fefe76 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:46 am
To me a nail of any length that can hurt a child is a NO NO.

I totally agree!!

I havent come across a specific regulation yet as well..but I just think its common sense when someone is working with children..you dont want to scrach a child even by accident and go through unwanted troubles cuz of the long nails! of course, personal hygiene is the other thing...

darmodina
Participator
Participator

Post by darmodina » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:55 am

In addition to all the comments about staff nail. I just want to share the incident happened in my room 2 years ago, my assistant had unpolished long nail. One of the children used the chair to climb the steel post and my assistant was trying to help to get the child down, but because the child was a bit heavy, so she leaved finger marks on the the child's arm while struggling to get the child down. And the Mum complained that her daughter was been pinched by an adult. Our Director and I supported the staff about the complaint because, she is such a lovely lady and has passion with children. And the child has ADHD that needs a close supervision. So we all staff learned a lesson from this incident. anyway, i don't have long nails, it's always short and clean and unpolished. And in my opinion, for hygiene and safety concern, long polish nails in child care centre is not acceptable. Sorry.
darmodina