I Feel Uncomfortable with this

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
emilysnan

I Feel Uncomfortable with this

Post by emilysnan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:24 pm

Over the last 2 weeks several parents have whipped out their smart phone to take cute photos of their child and other children engrossed in play, I feel uncomfortable about this, Have other educaters had to face this or am I overreacting.I would appriecate your feedback, I do not believe there is any sinster intent, however I would not want the photos to end up on facebook, how would you handle this,Please any suggestions would be a great help.All these families are great in every other way.

rachelroo

Re: I Feel Uncomfortable with this

Post by rachelroo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi,
Thats a hard one to do without offending ,I suppose if it was me it would depend on the parents of the children in the photo. We have a media release form and some parents are very definate about not wanting their child in any photos being displayed , or even having their photo taken at all etc, whereas lots are layed back and wouldn't be worried by it.
If it was a child in the photo who's parents were fussy for whatever reason about this(and some do have good reasons) I would just tell the parent who snapped the photo that some parents have requested we dont take any photos, so do you mind if I just pop these children out of the photo and you can take it again?

Angellhart
Participator
Participator

Post by Angellhart » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:28 am

We've had this happen before and just nicely explain to the parent they are welcome to take pics of their child but are not allowed to have any other children in the pic. They all usually understand even if they don't agree.

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:56 am

Hopefully in your workplace you and the other staff have good friendly relationships with your parents and you can relax and gently explain your policy of not photographing other children. I find that if you approach an issue in a warm and kind manner people usually react the same way.
You should have a form that parents sign and perhaps you need to show this form as a reminder and include something in your parent newsletter.
Hope this helps! :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Maybe you could ask your director to put up a notice in the foyer or even around the centre such as inside the rooms and outdoors for all parents to see:

"Due to our policies and procedures and Child Protection Laws, we regret to inform you that taking photos using your own devices of other children within is strictly prohibited. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. For further information, please see your child's teacher or speak to me directly"

Once you tell parents once they are usually pretty good about it... Sometimes they just need a gentle reminder.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A