Introduction, Hello There.

You may use this forum for all general discussions on topics that are not covered in the above forums..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
NicholasG

Introduction, Hello There.

Post by NicholasG » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Hi,

I've just joined so I should post my introduction post, I have a lot to tell you and as you're about to find out I like to go on a bit. I should start with what I'm about, where I'm going and what's going on. My story is a bit of a long one so go get a cup of something and let's get to know each other a little bit better.

My mum was a teacher, growing up in the country she was even my teacher for a day or two. She's now retired but still does some private tutoring in her spare time as she just can't stop, not yet. She's a great teacher, probably the best teacher in my eyes. I want to follow in her footsteps and finish my career as a teacher, I have been lucky enough to do some teaching overseas but this is my home.

I taught English in Japan and Indonesia to children and adults and had to settle for retail and call center work when I came back here, that kind of work wasn't me and years of grinding had worn me down physically and mentally. I am now halfway through the first year of my Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care and I must say I'm smashing it. I have that feeling that I'm back in the place I should be, where I can make a difference and not a profit.

If you want to ask anything please do, and if you are wondering yes I am old(er). Some people buy a sports car or invest in stocks when they enter a mid life crisis, I invested in myself.

I know resources are important and I want to contribute something that someone might find useful, here's a link to one of my blog posts. I've used the dinosaur activity (more simplified) with some success on placement.

Old blog post
LINK

Nice to meet you, thanks for reading all that.

Lorina

Re: Introduction, Hello There.

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:57 am

Hi Nicholas,

It's great to have you here on the forum!

I'm Lorina :wave:

It sounds like you are really passionate about working with children and that's the type of educators we need in this industry. It's not about the money, it's about guiding these young children through the most important years of their life...

It's nice to hear you are enjoying your Diploma. It's a lot of information to understand and to get through, so if you're finding it easy then you're in the right industry!

Are you currently working? If so, what room do you work in?

Have you done work placement?

:geek:,
Lorina

NicholasG

Post by NicholasG » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:09 am

Hi Lorina, thanks for your reply.

I have racked up nearly 80 hours on placement so far in this my first year, most of that in the kindy room and now I am in the baby room but get to jump around rooms if I'm needed to help out. I'm looking for work and think I'm confident enough now to do well in some interviews so that's the next step. You're right about a lot of information and I never said the course was easy. :)

As for money, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to make any but that's a bonus to finishing my professional career in what is one of the worlds most rewarding jobs. When I was working as a cook in (what was then called) childcare, 2004 the pay for being an educator was quite disappointing, I didn't get paid much less as a cook and I was on $15/hr. I don't even think the title was educator, it was childcare worker.

Thanks for your welcome, I'm enjoying looking around the resources and articles and will get involved when I'm not trying to smash out an assignment.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:07 am

How are you finding work placement?

Have the children warmed up to you?

How is it working in a woman dominant industry?

It's great to see we are getting more males in the industry. It's refreshing to see that you enjoy what you love.

You're right the pay has come a long way, even though some feel that it is not enough. Over 12 years ago when I was doing a traineeship I was getting less than $10 an hour. So, it has changed, times have changed, expectations have changed, the cost of living has changed...

Study hard!

:geek:,
Lorina

NicholasG

Post by NicholasG » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:32 pm

I've fit right in and am treated like one of the staff by everyone, children and parents included. Without sounding too modest the children love me and I have been asked to try and do most of my placement at the same place. I understand I will get more from placement by doing it in a few different centres so I will do that eventually but for now I'm needed where I'm doing something right. It was said to me the reason I am staying for a while is as this particular centres children get the most out of positive male role models.

Most of my bosses and supervisors through my career have been women and they have all been positive role models for me so I have no issue being one of a small percent of males, there are two more guys in my class which is a big number so I hear. Everyone at placement and school has been nothing but fully supportive of us guys doing what we are doing and people have gone out of their way to help us already. No doubt I will have to face some challenges in this world as a guy but I haven't had to yet. One advantage should be that I will be in demand, we'll see how I go when I get through some interviews.

I've come far enough to know if you don't love what you're doing it won't be very good, for anyone. That's what I love about this industry, you can't be fake, the children will see right through you. We have had about five people drop out of the course already when we hit placement, they weren't cut out for it and the most important people (the children) weeded them out. Sometimes you have to pretend to be someone else in a call centre, now I have no choice but to be me.

Do you think things like standards have changed much/for the better? We're onto the nutrition stuff at school, I've noticed that has changed for the better but there are far more unhealthy food options sometimes disguised or packaged to fool. Staying healthy is hard enough for us adults atm.