CHCPR502D - Under The Sea Program For Preschoolers

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Kristal

CHCPR502D - Under The Sea Program For Preschoolers

Post by Kristal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:04 am

Hi

I have to do a full days program for 15 - 3 year olds & 24 - 5 year olds. I have decided to do under the sea with acitvities. But I need to explain with the activities what will be different for the 3 year olds. Can anyone please help me in the right direction.

Thanks
Daggy
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCPR502D - Under The Sea Program For Preschoolers

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi Kristal,

For this are you requiring experiences for under the sea theme for both age groups? Is this based on a child's interest or just a theme you chose? Have you chosen the activities you wanted to do? Sorry I am asking lots of questions, just wanted to clarify a few things..

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Kristal

Post by Kristal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi L.A.

Yes I Require experiences for both age groups. I have chosen the theme and I have activities such as

Paper Plate Octopus:
Cut a paper plate in half. Draw eyes on the plate,
and then glue on eight pieces of crepe paper as arms. When
dry hang in a window to see the octopus swim.

Paper Plate Fish:
Draw a triangle mouth shape on a paper plate. Have
your child cut out the triangle and have them glue it on the
fish as a tail. Let the child decorate the fish.

Story Time: The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister

Circle Time- ask the children to name one thing that lives or belongs in the sea or the ocean. Try to encourage everyone to say something different. Ask if anyone has been to the sea or the ocean and seen any of the creatures in person.

Music- play the songs from the Disney film “The Little Mermaid” and allow the children to dance around like undersea creatures.

Not sure on how to plan the program for both age groups.

Thanks Kristal

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:41 am

Hey Kristal,

I think the most important thing to consider when choosing activities or experiences is to make sure that they are age appropriate. Sometimes that even though the ideas may seem good it is useless if the children are not going to get anything out of it. You mentioned that you need to provide activities for 3 year olds and 5 year olds. The difference between the 3 years old is that they are still developing their skills so require alot more simpler activities then the 5 years olds. The paper plate octopus is a good idea for 3 years old and to modify it just get the children to glue google eyes rather than draw. The paper plate fish is also a good idea for 3 year olds especially if you add different materials they can collage with. You could also add sea creatures to blocks, pictures of ocean animals on a wall for the children to look at, during group time look at different ocean creatures and discuss, read simple stories such as "Tickly Octopus", for music and movement like you suggested.

For 5 year olds their understanding of concepts is more developed so this will allow you to provide opportunities for them to enhance their understanding of under the sea. The story The Rainbow Fish is more appropriate for this age group. You could also add animal figurines to the drawing table for the children to copy and draw, provide a range of under the sea puzzles, art n craft projects which allow the children to paint or cut. Picture books and information books in book area about the ocean under the sea etc... There is a topic in the forum called "Art Ideas, under the sea theme"... See if the ideas in here can help you out... Here is the link: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... ?f=40&t=58

Cheers :geek:,
L.A