CHCLEG001 Scenario

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ritu

CHCLEG001 Scenario

Post by ritu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:10 am

potential work practice improvements to enhance workplace legal and ethical requirements that would prevent the above situations from reoccurring.

Respond with what your two (2) ideas are and how would you share this with colleagues and management.

My answer so far is
Work practice improvement 1:

Discuss legal and ethical requirements with colleagues and supervisor. Explain them scenarios and what action could be taken in those situations. Obtain different prospective on the problem.

Work practice improvement 2:

There must be written policies and procedures that reflect legislation and ethical standards of the service. Provide training to all the staff where they get updated knowledge of legal and ethical requirements.

I am not sure I am answers are right. Please help me......

Lorina

Re: CHCLEG001 Scenario

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:17 pm

ritu wrote:QR_BBPOST potential work practice improvements to enhance workplace legal and ethical requirements that would prevent the above situations from reoccurring.

What are the situations it is referring to?

:geek:,
Lorina

ritu

Post by ritu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:50 am

Scenario 1
Joseph arrives to work on time and proceeds to the playground to begin his shift. He does a head count of the amount of children and realises there are too many preschool children in relation to the educators that are supervising in the playground. He goes to the lead educator and asks if there are any other staff on roster who are not currently in the playground because it seems they have too many children and he is aware of a spare educator in the nursery room. The lead educator says that all staff on roster are currently in the playground and she is aware there are too many children, but as another staff member is meant to be starting in 15mins, she doesn’t want to bother the extra educator in the nursery.

a) Is this a legal or ethical situation?

This is a legal situation

b) What is the issue or breach occurring?
It breach National Law and Regulations. Under the National Regulation, teacher-to-child ratio for preschool children is 1:11. The objective of which is to ensure the safety, health and well being of children attending the service.

c) What action would you take and who would you report to if required?
I would talk to the lead educator first and explain her that we are breaching National Law and Regulations under that teacher-to-child ratio is 1:11 and she must call teacher from the nursery. If she is not agree with me, I would go to the Director of the service and let her know the whole situation.

Scenario 2
A parent approaches and asks an educator if they can babysit on Saturday night for their children who the educator knows well from the service. The educator accepts.
The next week, you overhear the educator talking with the parent about their discussion on Saturday night that included activities they had been doing in the centre recently.

c) What action would you take and who would you report to if required?

Scenario 3
Sarah reads on the medication form that one of the infants needs 2.5mls of Panadol medication at 1pm. She is currently the only carer in the room as her lead educator is on lunch. She however notices it is 1pm so goes to the fridge and finds the infants medication as she does not want to be late in administering it. She checks the label for the child’s name and does amount, measures the medication and gives it to the child, then puts it away. She carries on with her duties and forgets to fill in the medication book.

It is a legal situation.

It breach Education and Care Services National Regulation 92. According to which details are to be recorded if medication is administered:
the dosage that is administered;
date and time the manner in which medication is administered
the name and signature of the person who administered the medication.

c) If you were the lead educator, what action would you take and who would you report to if required?

If I am a lead education I will complete the medication book. I would inform the Centre Director.

Question 4:

Regarding the scenarios above, consider how you might share feedback with colleagues and supervisors regarding some workplace improvements.

Based on above scenarios I have to answer how I will share feedback with my colleagues and supervisor regarding some workplace improvements.

Jadeeeeeeeeeee8

Post by Jadeeeeeeeeeee8 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:27 pm

Hello,
I' am currently study my Cert 4 in School Aged education and care.

I' am struggling with getting my words together for these questions (I' am 29 and I haven studied since I was in high school)

Q2 For each of the scenarios below, identify in one paragraph how you would react to the following ethical dilemmas and your reason why.

a. You are asked by a parent if a child has wet her pants today. You have seen the child physically punished (i.e. smacked) for this before.

b. You are a student on placement and are asked to take sole charge of a group of children because a staff member is ill. This is against regulations.

c. A parent has approached you and asked for information about another child’s family.

d. You are having a 21st birthday party and think it is alright to copy 100 invitations on the Childcare Centre’s photocopier.

e. A child attends the centre who you suspect rarely receives a bath. You are upset about this as you feel strongly that it is the responsibility of a ‘good’ parent to bathe their child daily (think about your own cultural beliefs verses requirements).

Thank you

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:11 pm

Oh these are a little daunting aren't they!

a - If the child gets physically punished for wetting their pants you wouldn't want them to get punished again however you cant lie to the parents. You could say that the child was waiting to go to the toilet and the toilets were full and couldn't wait any longer which caused the child to wet themselves.

b - Yeah you cant do this - you will have to let the Director know that you are not confortable with this becasue it is against regulations and you have no exerience lookinng after a group of children as well as it's not your responsibilities.

c - Due to confidentiality you cant reveal information about other families. You can suuggest that they talk to the Director about their concerns.

d - You can ask the Director or pay a small fee for doing so.

e - Don't assume - understand the culture of the family. Talk to the family get to know them a little better. Talk to the child etc.

Hope this gives you a little idea!

:geek:,
Lorina