CHCFC502A - Foster Physical Development in Early Childhood

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Jodie78

CHCFC502A - Foster Physical Development in Early Childhood

Post by Jodie78 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am RPLing some of my Diploma modules, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas to the following questions

Question 75: What opportunities do you provide in your centre to develop and practice a wide range of physical skills that develop independence and autonomy in the children?

Question 76: Outline how you provide experiences that promote collaboration and cooperation and the value of diversity.

Question 77: How do you provide experiences aimed at developing self esteem and self concept?

Question 78: From your experience give some examples of how you interact appropriately with the child to foster development.
? The answers need to cover ages 0 - 12 yrs.

I am having some difficulties getting my head back into study mode after recently returning to work after the birth of my daughter 3 months ago. I think I am still suffering from pregnancy brain or maybe it is just sleep deprivation.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: CHCFC502A - Foster Physical Development in Early Childhood

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:09 am

Hi Jodie,

would you be able to post your understanding and how you would answer the above questions?
Also try searching this website. I am sure there are a few topics on stereotypes, diversity, interacting effectively with children, etc.. Have a read through these and let us know what you have gathered so far and we can guide you from there.

Jodie78

Post by Jodie78 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:06 pm

This is what I have come up with for the first question....

The following opportunities are provided for children to be able to develop and practice a wide range of physical skills that develop their independence and autonomy.
0 - 6 months
• Tummy time for infants
• Allowing time for them to practice rolling from front to back and vice versa
• Putting toys just out of reach, so that children can “reach for” them
• Placing them in front of a mirror attached at floor level, so they can look at themselves
• Provide toys for them to play with, that they can easily grasp
• Placing an activity gym over the top of the child, while they are laying on their back, to encourage them to reach for the attached toys
6 - 12 months
• Placing children in an upright position (sitting), to help them gain balance
• Allowing children to use walkers to help aid their confidence in walking
• Large balls for children to roll across the floor
• Clear spaces for children to practice their crawling without the risk of injury from toys etc
• Allowing children to “feed” themselves at meal times
• Giving children ‘sippy’ cups to drink from
• Providing blocks for the children to build towers with
• Shape Sorters
12 - 24 months
• Providing low obstacles for the children to climb on, over, under and through
• Smaller balls, to help with the child’s hand/eye co-ordination
• Ride on Push Cars, that the children can manoeuvre with their feet
• Small slippery slide
• Puzzles
• Musical Instruments - shakers, drums, xylophones
• Allowing children to feed themselves
• Providing ‘sippy’ cups for the children to drink from
• Providing drawing utensils, for the children to make “pictures”
• Playdough and accessories (cutters, rolling pins etc)
• Sandpit play - buckets, shovels, small trucks and machines
• Picture books
2 - 3 years
• Balls - for throwing, catching and kicking
• Small tricycles with pedals
• Obstacle course - balance beam, climbing frame, slippery slide, stepping stones
• Sitting at the table on small chairs for meal times
• Giving drinks in cups without lids, or in drink bottles
• Playdough and accessories
• Art and craft activities
• Picture books
• Wooden Blocks
• Puzzles
• Sandpit play
4 - 5 years
• Balls of varying sizes
• Large tricycles with pedals
• Scooters
• More complex obstacle course design - can vary heights of obstacles
• Pre-writing activities - for correct pencil grip
• Cutting and pasting activities
• Games with rules - Simon Says, Musical Chairs, Hopscotch, Relay Races
• Pouring own drinks into cups
• Helping with the cleaning up of toys after activity time
• Threading activities - with a variety of objects (beads, cotton reels, straws, cereal)
• Home Corner role playing
• Block play (including other items like farm animals, cars, dinosaurs)
• Story Books

6 - 12 years
• Rules with Games - What’s the time Mr Wolf, Simon Says, Duck Duck Goose, Hopscotch, Cricket
• Complex obstacle course
• Art and Craft activities - painting, clay/playdough, drawing, collage
• Pouring own drinks into cups, or drinking from the drink taps
• Cooking activities
• 2 wheel bikes
• Scooters

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Hey Jo,

Congratulations on your new arrival! Is she your first?

I read through your question it seems like you put alot of effort in completing the first question of your assignment. You've shown you understood what the question was asking for.

Outline how you provide experiences that promote collaboration and cooperation and the value of diversity.

Think about different ways you can introduce diversity to the children... you can sing songs from different countries, cook different types of foods, show pictures of life in different countries, play music from different parts of the world etc..

How do you provide experiences aimed at developing self esteem and self concept?

Try and think of experiences that the children can participate in that makes them feel good about themselves... such as dressing up, making a craft, completing a puzzle, painting/drawing, dancing etc..

From your experience give some examples of how you interact appropriately with the child to foster development.?

Look at the experiencers you provided for the first question and think about ways you were to interact with a child who was participating in one of them..what would you say? what would you do?

I really appreaciate that you took the time to actually come back and told us what you came up with for the first question of your assignment.

Even with the birth of your daughter and being a mummy, it's great to see that your giving it a go!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Jodie78

Post by Jodie78 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi L.A...
Thanks for the help with the question.. it gives me something to think about. My daughter is actually my second child, there is 12 yrs between her and her big brother. I feel like I am a new mum for the first time all over again. I am so glad that I am fortunate enough to be in the Nursery with her, and get to witness all the milestones along the way.
Will post the replies to the other questions when I get them finished, just to make sure I am on the right track.
Cheers
Jodie

Jodie78

Post by Jodie78 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Below are my answers to the other 3 questions.. please feel free to comment or make recommendations
Question 76: Outline how you provide experiences that promote collaboration and cooperation and the value of diversity.
There are a variety of different ways to provide experiences that promote collaboration and cooperation, as well as the value of diversity on a daily or weekly basis. These include:
• Singing songs from different countries
• Multicultural pictures on the walls - families, foods, flags, houses, clothing
• Using simple words (i.e. Hello, Goodbye, Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Boy, Girl, Eat, Drink etc) in other languages
• Bringing in guest speakers of different nationalities to talk to the children
• Have themed days for different countries so children can participate in a variety of activities - cooking, listening to music, creating a craft etc
• Children can work collaboratively and cooperatively in numerous areas - home corner, block area, book corner, sand pit, games involving the children’s imagination
• Playing games such as Simon Says, Follow the Leader etc

Question 77: How do you provide experiences aimed at developing self esteem and self concept?
Staff provide experiences aimed at developing self esteem and self concept in numerous ways. These experiences are ones which the children can participate in to help them feel good about themselves. Activities and experiences such as:
• Dressing up
• Completing a challenging task - a puzzle, construction
• Painting
• Drawing
• Dancing to music
• Completing a craft activity.

Question 78: From your experience give some examples of how you interact appropriately with the children to foster physical development.
During my time in the industry, I have often been seen interacting with children to help foster their physical development. Some of the ways I have done this include:
• Participating in a game of Simon Says or Follow the Leader - often with the children being the leader or giving the instructions.
• Engaging children in a mini Olympics, where they chose what “sports” we would participate in. During this activity, I have offered words of encouragement and some helpful advice for children who seemed to be struggling.
• Helping the children to complete the obstacle course, holding their hand to cross the balance beam, step over the stepping stones or watching/helping them to climb over an “A” frame.
• Playing simple ball games with the children where they had the opportunity to throw, catch and kick balls of varying sizes.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:51 am

Hi Jo, It seems as if you have covered everything. :thumbup:

Jodie78

Post by Jodie78 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks Catchmeifyoucan.... I am going to submit this assignment today and get started on the next one.