CHCFC502A Assignment - Program Planning Time

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
kristin

CHCFC502A Assignment - Program Planning Time

Post by kristin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:37 am

Hi,

I need help with this assignment, I cannot find where in either the childcare regs or act where it says how much planning time must be given to staff for programing. This is part of Assessment Activity 1, Part B in the case studies. Do centres have to give staff allocated time to plan ??? Please help !

Thanks Krissy

nerida

Re: CHCFC502A Assignment - Program Planning Time

Post by nerida » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:20 pm

hi, i know in our centre team leaders are given and must have 2 hours a week.
but not sure what the actual regs are. hope this helps.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:56 pm

Hey Kristin,
Do centres have to give staff allocated time to plan ???

Ideally, room leaders should have up to 2 hours a week of "programming time". However realistically sometimes this isn't possible when staff are off sick, more children bookings etc... But to answer your question, yes centers do have to give staff allocated time to plan throughout the week.

I did go through the Childcare Regulations and Act and like you, I couldn't find anything that states how much planning time must be given.

Have a great weekend,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm

I cannot find anything either but like L.A said centres have to provide GLs with a few hours a week for programming.
My last centre we had 2 hours a week as GLs and the qualified teachers (for preschool rooms) had 1/2 to 3/4hr each day for programming.

kristin

Post by kristin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks for the replies, maybe i will have a look at the award and see if that mentions anything,

kristin

Post by kristin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:30 am

Hooray ! I found the information, it is listed in the Children's Services Award 2010. I have copied and pasted it below in case anyone else needs the info as well. Thanks again for the help, I am so glad I found this site.

21.5 Non-contact time
(a) An employee responsible for the preparation, implementation and/or evaluation
of a developmental program for an individual child or group of children will be
entitled to a minimum of two hours per week, during which the employee is
not required to supervise children or perform other duties directed by the
employer, for the purpose of planning, preparing, evaluating and programming
activities.
(b) Wherever possible non-contact time should be rostered in advance.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Hey Kristin,

I was just having a look at the Children's Services Award myself and found the the same info... you beat me to it ;) ...

It's rather interesting knowing that "programming time" is actually stated in the Award itself...I'm sure that there are a number of childcare professionals who don't get "programming time" allocated to them throughout the week and since it is stated in the the Children's Services Award they should bring it too the attention of their director/management etc... The info you found is very useful!!! Great find :D ...

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:52 pm

I worked at one place on the GC where we got no programming time but were expected to program!!! Was just one other thing on my list of reasons why I decided to leave that place!! I despise people who open or buy childcare centres just because they can and have no interest in the place and just let it run however the heck it runs.
I did not even receive any Super for the 10 mnths I worked there either *GRRRRRR*

kristin

Post by kristin » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks for looking in the award, it is interesting, I had no idea that it was actually included in the award!
Have a great weekend.

Thanks a bunch,
Kristin

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:38 pm

This certainly is very valuable information, all of us as employees should certainly bring this part of the Award to our employers' attention. Obviously its a right not a privelege to have sufficient programming time. Yay! :)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Glad that you found the award stating this, I will keep it in mind if I am ever in a position where I am expected to program but not given any time to do it !! no doubt it will be useful to everyone

Tabatha

Post by Tabatha » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:08 pm

I have been trying to find this information forever, thank you :)