CHCECE20 - Behaviour Plan For Biting

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
elanf
Participator
Participator

CHCECE20 - Behaviour Plan For Biting

Post by elanf » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi everyone,, I am writing a behaviour guidance plan & would love any criticisms or feedback that anyone has regarding the way I have written it or anything else.

Childs age; 1.5yo

Behaviour of concern; biting

Alternative/acceptable behaviours;
- to use words to express how you feel or what you want
- to seek help or educators attention in positive ways

Limits and guidelines (age appropriate expectations):
- we use our mouth for talking (when a problem arises) and not biting
- when you bit your friends, it makes them sad

Interventions strategies;
ensure 1 educator follows child throughout the day, providing suggestions to help control the behavior where a situation may arise for the child to bite.
speak to the child in a calm and soothing manner to determine the problem and find a solution

Strategies to manage and guide behaviour;
- providing constant supervision - educators knowing/aware of where child is at all times throughout the day
- intervene or step in when a dispute is arising to find a solution for the problem

Okay, so the last part I am having the most trouble with.
Goals; (Short term)
1. for child to stop biting others

How does this relate to EYLF Outcomes?
- to provide a safe environment for all children to feel a sense of Belonging

(Long term)
1. Impulse control

How does this relate to EYLF Outcomes?
- self regulation? outcome 3

Lorina

Re: CHCECE20 - Behaviour Plan For Biting

Post by Lorina » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:55 pm

When A Child Bites (you can adapt these strategies to a child in a service setting)

Comfort the child who was bitten.

Provide an ice pack to reduce pain and swelling.

Provide comfort for the wounded child by saying, "That seemed like it really hurts. I know you don't like it when your friend bites you”.

Calmly approach your child. By this stage your child will feel overwhelmed and anxious after they bite. You need to comfort, your child too.

Comfort your child by saying something like, "You seem sad/frustrated/angry (try and identify the feeling) that your friend is hurt from the bite. Even though you may be feeling like this, it is not alright to hurt another child. If your friend is bothering you say STOP in a big loud voice”. Give your child examples of words to say, instead of biting. When talking to your child, talk in a understanding yet firm (not screaming) way.

Help your child to understand that they hurt their friend. Say something like, "Would you like to go and see Zoe now? You can tell her that you hope she feels better soon." Older toddlers can learn a lot from being allowed to comfort their friend after a bite has occurred. Don't force this; let it happen only if they are both willing.

Reinforce the rule that we don't hurt people. Help both children understand that your job is to keep everyone safe. Say, "I know you are angry. But I can't let you bite people."

When the situation is calm again, remind both children on what they can do to assert themselves, like saying "Stop” That's mine!" or "I don't like it". The goal is to teach assertiveness and communication skills to both your child who bites and the child who gets bitten.

Praise and acknowledge good behaviour, when you observe your child behaving well – not biting siblings or friends, not biting to get what they want and it's important to be generous with praise to build your toddlers confidence and self esteem. Be specific say something like “your sharing the puzzle so well with your sister” or “you are being very kind and gentle to your little brother”.

Ref: Biting Child

Also short term goals could include:

- changing the environment or routine to stop the trigger behaviour (that causes the biting)
- support the child to say simple words or phrases instead of biting
- use positive encouragement and focus on good behaviour

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

elanf
Participator
Participator

Post by elanf » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:46 pm

Wow, thank you so much Lorina!!

Your strategies and resources provide me with so much new information, I appreciate your efforts with guiding and assisting with these problems I encounter throughout my diploma.

I have already been able to put into use, and modify appropriately, the strategies to follow when a child bites within the service I work at .
Thank you again for your insight and input .
Elan :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:33 am

Hi Elan,

Thanks for your kind words!

I am more than happy to be able to support you through your studies! You do all the hard work I'm just an extra set of "eyes"! :giggle:

Much obliged,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:47 pm

Among the most contentious issues in early childhood, settings are biting, though it is widely acknowledged by early educators and behavioural experts to be a common feature Among the most contentious issues in early childhood, settings are biting, though it is widely acknowledged by early educators and behavioural experts to be a common feature of the toddler years. Here are some guidelines to help you and your service respond to incidents of biting in the toddler years.

Here are some guidelines to help you and your service respond to incidents of biting:

How To Respond To Todder's Biting

:geek:,
Lorina