How Many ECTs require.

Educator to child ratios, ratios within a service, ratios with different ages etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
eediva24

How Many ECTs require.

Post by eediva24 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:50 pm

My service is a 70 placement service which is currently at half capacity or less, there are between 33 to 42 children on varying days and we have the one ECT(who is also Nominated Supervisor)
The other day we were told we need a second ECT in the service on the days where we have over 40 children.

As far as we knew though, we can have up to 59 children before needing the second ECT and now we are told something completely different so we're in a rush to find a ECT within a few weeks, or one of us - most likely me as I'm the one with the diploma and 10+ years of experience. Considering how insane the planet is at the moment with covid, I doubt we will be hiring anyone so it looks like I'll be studying once more.

Apparently the legislation in NSW is 40 children and you need a second ECT? but the rest of the states are 60 and you need a second ECT?

This is highly unfair for NSW workers/businesses and bordering on ridiculous that the rules arent the same throughout the entire country. And unnecessary.

I hope I've posted this in the right spot, I figured it counts under ratio, but Im not sure.

Lorina

Re: How Many ECTs require.

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:24 am

As per the National Regulations:

Requirements for early childhood teacher—centre-based services—60 to 80 children

(1) If a centre-based service provides education and care to 60 or more but not more than 80 children preschool age or under on a given day—

(a) an early childhood teacher must be in attendance at the service—
(i) for at least 6 hours on that day, if the service operates for 50 or more hours a week; or
(ii) for 60 per cent of the operating hours of the service on that day, if the service operates for less than 50 hours a week; and
(b) a second early childhood teacher or a suitably qualified person must be in attendance at the service—
(i) for at least 3 hours on that day, if the service operates for 50 or more hours a week; or
(ii) for 30 per cent of the operating hours of the service on that day, if the service operates for less than 50 hours a week.

(2) A centre-based service is not required to comply with subregulation (1) if—
(a) the approved number of places for children preschool age or under at the service is 60 or more but not more than 80; and
(b) the service employs or engages—
(i) a full-time or full-time equivalent early childhood teacher at the service; and
(ii) a second early childhood teacher or a suitably qualified person for half of the full-time or full-time equivalent hours at the service.

Reference:National Regulations

:geek:,
Lorina

eediva24

Post by eediva24 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:58 am

So what I've gathered is that a 2nd ECT is not yet needed, as we have under 59 children?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:19 pm

But your serivce is a 70 placement centre... from what I understand it depends on the license of children at the centre... rather than the average children on a given day.

I would contact your regulatory authority to confirm...

:geek:,
Lorina