Trainee Working Conditions

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
megs_95
Helper
Helper

Trainee Working Conditions

Post by megs_95 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:29 am

Next week I begin my full-time traineeship (until now I've done 2 days a week for about a month). There are some things I'm unsure about though, and wanted to get some outside advice on before speaking to the director.

1. My ordinary hours is 46 per week. I thought this was excessive until I realized that, presumably, this was a 38 hour week plus 8 hours at-work study time (8 hours being 20% of my weekly hours). I'll clear this up with the director but what should I do if I do not get my study time? It seems many staff don't get much study time at all.

2. Should I be paid overtime for hours worked per week over 38? (i.e. extra 8 hours)

3. Lunch breaks are 40 minutes and that is the only break we get all day - not just for trainees but all staff. This suits me fine on a shorter day (say, 8 hours) but on my 9 and 10 hour days it feels like not nearly enough - surely we are entitled to rest breaks?

4. About sick leave - the director has told me she is relying on me because I'm a trainee (aka cheap to employ) and I live very close to the centre. I was told I should not take sick days unless it's pretty much an emergency, and that I need to show up for work every day even when sick to maintain ratios. I can understand her wanting to eliminate unnecessary sick days such as having a bit of a cold, but I was shocked to find she means it - the other trainee came in on Monday suffering a combined head cold and stomach virus, looking very visibly ill, and could hardly function. That is what is expected. Surely this is unsafe for the children, exposing them to staff illnesses when there are enough viruses/colds among the children already?

Any help clearing these things up is appreciated :)

Lorina

Re: Trainee Working Conditions

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:20 am

Hi Megs,

You have some very valid questions! I've been meaning to write my thoughts on the questions you've asked for the past couple of days but haven't had the time until now... After I've read a few of your questions alarm bells started ringing... Are you sure that this centre is the best for you? It's not normal to work 46 hours and go to work sick...

1. My ordinary hours is 46 per week. I thought this was excessive until I realized that, presumably, this was a 38 hour week plus 8 hours at-work study time (8 hours being 20% of my weekly hours). I'll clear this up with the director but what should I do if I do not get my study time? It seems many staff don't get much study time at all.

46 Hours? You should not be working 46hrs per week at all! You should be working a 38 hour week and within the 38 hours you should be given study time during the day while at wok. Technically since you are studying you are supposed to be given an opportunity to complete assignments etc while at work however this may not be possible all the time. It's best to work out with your employer a time during the day when it's possible for you to study maybe during the morning or afternoon. Do not work more than 38 hours!! Unless you're getting paid of course!!
2. Should I be paid overtime for hours worked per week over 38? (i.e. extra 8 hours)

You should be paid overtime if working more than 38 hours or you may be given time in lieu.
3. Lunch breaks are 40 minutes and that is the only break we get all day - not just for trainees but all staff. This suits me fine on a shorter day (say, 8 hours) but on my 9 and 10 hour days it feels like not nearly enough - surely we are entitled to rest breaks?

A full-time employee who works 7.6 hours a day (i.e. 38 hours divided by 5) is entitled to:
• 1 unpaid meal break of at least 30 minutes, and no more than 1 hour
• 2 paid rest breaks of at least 10 minutes.
4. About sick leave - the director has told me she is relying on me because I'm a trainee (aka cheap to employ) and I live very close to the centre. I was told I should not take sick days unless it's pretty much an emergency, and that I need to show up for work every day even when sick to maintain ratios. I can understand her wanting to eliminate unnecessary sick days such as having a bit of a cold, but I was shocked to find she means it - the other trainee came in on Monday suffering a combined head cold and stomach virus, looking very visibly ill, and could hardly function. That is what is expected. Surely this is unsafe for the children, exposing them to staff illnesses when there are enough viruses/colds among the children already?

This should not happen. If you are sick you are not to go into work at all! You could spread infection and a virus to all the children at the centre. The director has already put a lot of pressure on you by telling you upfront that she doesn't want you taking sick days which is a joke. I mean if you're sick, you're sick no one can help it and you should be in bed resting not making it worse by going to work. [/quote]

Please read the following info: Childcare Award Wages: Info on Pay, Leave, Hours, Rosters, Breaks etc.

By the sounds of it, you may be taking on a big responsibility while working at this centre. As a trainee you are to learn the in and outs of working in childcare. You should be inspired, become passionate, want to make a career out of this and enjoy what you are doing. You should not not be placed under any pressure or do more than you are capable of... Just make sure this is the centre where you want to do your traineeship...

If you go ahead with the traineeship, get everything in writing. Hours you are to work, study hours during the day, overtime agreement, etc. This is one thing that will cover you...

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this,

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Hey Megs,

Just wanted to see how your going with the traineeship. How have the first few days been?

:geek: ,
L.A

saya2211

Post by saya2211 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:47 am

Hi Lorina
Lorina wrote:
A full-time employee who works 7.6 hours a day (i.e. 38 hours divided by 5) is entitled to:
• 1 unpaid meal break of at least 30 minutes, and no more than 1 hour
• 2 paid rest breaks of at least 10 minutes.
about the rest breaks, did you mean two reast breaks total together 10 mins or 10 mins each?
apparently at our centre we only have one paid rest break and only for early shift staffs.
ay~ :?

and
Hi Megs
just when i thought our working condition is really bad, here comes your post.
a sick staff shouldn't show up at work at all, what is your director thinking.
although sometimes our director will say oh we are short of staffs today, do you think you can come for short hrs, i still say no, because i dont want to pass the sickness to children, and it lookd unprofessional when parents come in and see the sick staff. hope everything could work out for you. :thumbup:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:38 pm

1. My ordinary hours is 46 per week. I thought this was excessive until I realized that, presumably, this was a 38 hour week plus 8 hours at-work study time (8 hours being 20% of my weekly hours). I'll clear this up with the director but what should I do if I do not get my study time? It seems many staff don't get much study time at all. - See more at: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/p ... vYNLw.dpuf
:shock: Noooooo maximum you should do is 40 hours. If you do 40 hours usually it means you will be entitled to 1 RDO/month. If this is not the case then you should be doing 38 hours/week. Your study time should be included within this time

Yep or you accrue it as time in lieu to use as you want
a) An employee will not be required to work in excess of five hours without an unpaid meal break of not less than 30 minutes and not more than one hour. Provided that employees who are engaged for not more than six hours continuously per shift may elect to forego a meal break.
(b) A meal break must be uninterrupted. Where there is an interruption to the meal break and this is occasioned by the employer, overtime will be paid until an uninterrupted break is taken. The minimum overtime payment will be as for 15 minutes with any time in excess of 15 minutes being paid in minimum blocks of 15 minutes.
(c) Notwithstanding clause 22.1(a), where an employee is required to remain on the employer’s premises, the employee will be entitled to a paid meal break of not less than 20 minutes or more than 30 minutes. By agreement with the employer an employee may leave the premises during the meal break, however, such time away from the premises will not be counted as time worked and nor will any payment be made for such time.
22.2 Rest pauses
(a) An employee working four hours or more on any engagement will be entitled to a paid rest period of 10 minutes.
(b) Provided that an employee working for seven hours or more will be entitled to two such paid rest periods of 10 minutes each unless the employee agrees to forego one of these rest periods.
(c) All rest periods must be uninterrupted.

Probably be easier to go through the award http://www.communities.wa.gov.au/educat ... d_2010.pdf worth keeping a copy as it tells you EXACTLY what you are entitled to

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:41 pm

Sorry was getting tired of copy pasting!

megs_95
Helper
Helper

Post by megs_95 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Okay, thought I'd come in and clear everything up now it's been a while :)

So I'm on a full-time contract (38h/w) but due to current lack of staff, get anywhere from 43-48h/w. This is why I was told 46 hours - the director wanted me to know up front a lot of overtime would be required (at least for now). I do get paid overtime rates for everything over 38h.

Breaks- our 40 min lunch is actually 30 min lunch + 10 min rest combined. Now that I've been working longer, this doesn't bother me and is a good enough break time.

Sick days- I think the director's strictness was largely just her trying to emphasize that I shouldn't take sick days lightly. I've found she is actually quite understanding when we're sick and if she does need us to come in when sick, will send us home as soon as ratios are right (I'm often on early-ish starts at times where an extra staff member is crucial, so I might need to go to work at 7:30 still, but will be sent home at 9 or 10 when enough staff are there). Though this doesn't happen often.

Thanks everyone :) Most of the kinks are worked out now that I've been here a few months :)