struggling to get the hang of it

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
megs_95
Helper
Helper

struggling to get the hang of it

Post by megs_95 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm a trainee 6 months into my traineeship, and up until recently I was floating. Two weeks ago I was put in a permanent room and I'm enjoying it but struggling to remember everything (especially difficult because I'm the first staff member in the room, and have to organize things for the day). Who's in nappies, who's toilet trained, who's toilet training with/without pull ups, who has a rest nappy... and that's just the toileting! I forget little things like checking who needs a learning story before I start one/checking off that I did a learning story for a particular child, writing down every time a child goes to the toilet etc and it's frustrating the two other staff in the room who have spoken to me a few times about things I've forgotten. I feel like suddenly being in a room, and having to run it and set up for the day in the first hour, there's just too much to remember :sweating:

I don't know what to do. My shift might be changing next week meaning I'll no longer have to do the morning set up, but even outside of that there's so much to remember now that I have portfolios, focus children, and an active role in the room :( What do I do?

law92
Helper
Helper

Re: struggling to get the hang of it

Post by law92 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Ok breathe :) I felt exactly the same way when I first started working permanently in the junior kindy room (2-3 year olds). I had to learn exactly the same things - the toileting is a big thing to keep on top of in that room, but you will soon get the hang of things. Remembering the toileting will come with time- it's normal to take a few weeks or so learning the room routine, getting into the habit of doing learning stories every day, etc. what I used to do was write down who was toilet training, who needs a rest nappy, etc and keep it on hand at toileting times to make it easier for u to remember until eventually u learn it off by heart - maybe u could make this into a chart with a photo of the child next to the description to make things easier to remember- this could also be useful for casual staff who come into the room. Also, at the start of the day, get the nappies/pull ups out of the children's bags if they bring them, write their name on them and put them near the nappy changing area - it could also be a good idea to have pockets for the nappies/ pull ups with the child's name on it to make this easier and keep it in the bathroom. I would do the same thing with the learning stories - maybe get to work a bit earlier, write down who needs learning stories done that day and try and do most of them in the morning when they are engaging in activities. I found it easier to do this in the morning as your brain is still fresh and u can still think clearly- also, the rest of the day just goes too quickly, and u don't want to leave the learning stories until the afternoon when the children start going home.
Just keep yourself organised, keep check lists of things and just remember to breathe! You will adjust to the routine in time, and until then just do the best you can do and I'm sure you will be fine :)

megs_95
Helper
Helper

Post by megs_95 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:51 pm

I made myself a little checklist for the mornings, plus a chart to write in who is nappies/toilet/etc, hopefully those will help tomorrow. I also really want to ask the room leader about how I'm going (other than the forgetfulness) but I'm so scared because I don't handle criticism well - even constructive criticism. When she got annoyed with me today about learning stories I nearly cried on the spot - and if she has any other issues with my work or ways I could do things better the same will probably happen :? argh

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:09 am

megs_95 wrote:I made myself a little checklist for the mornings, plus a chart to write in who is nappies/toilet/etc, hopefully those will help tomorrow. I also really want to ask the room leader about how I'm going (other than the forgetfulness) but I'm so scared because I don't handle criticism well - even constructive criticism. When she got annoyed with me today about learning stories I nearly cried on the spot - and if she has any other issues with my work or ways I could do things better the same will probably happen :? argh
It's OK we have all been there! Especially when we feel we are trying our best and then apparently others think we are not trying at all it really hits our self esteem but you will get better through experience and time. Don't take anything said while working personally. I completely understand how hard this is to do as I myself had to learn to do this during the beginning stage. While working with the children as you know things can get quite hectic, out of control, very busy and demanding. A staff member getting annoyed, being rude or biting your head off is an attack on you personally it just happens due to the situation that has risen during the time. I'm not making any excuses for staff that are out right rude to others but at times there are days when things don't go as planned or how we want them and when your head is spinning a hundred miles an hour there are chances that a bit of bitchiness can come out...Not too mention when all your monthly periods have synced in with one another and you have a room full of woman craziness! :giggle: See it's fun isn't it!! :lol:

If you don't want to know simply don't ask however I think it's good for you as it will help you professionally improve yourself. Maybe instead your room leading can do a fortnightly catch up with you where you both discuss your performance, what needs improving issues your facing in the room etc. Just a little chat at lunch time....

Hope you had a better day today!

You'll be right! :thumbup:

:geek:,
L.A