Management Problems

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
saz_123

Management Problems

Post by saz_123 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:19 pm

I just had a couple of questions about the way my centre is currently run. I know these under house rules have been really hard on everyone but my director says she can be counted as staff so when I look at the float list she is only covering, usually, one lunch in each room and getting the other worker in the room to cover there own lunch, she is doing this in all rooms including nursery. Sometimes she puts priority in the older children and has both staff lunches covered in preschool and kindy but gets the staff in the younger ages to cover themselves. I just don't think this right, I have done the numbers check and found that even with the under house ratios it still doesnt work. She has also been getting other staff to do roster changes, these staff are not 2ICs or anything, one of the girls who recently did our roster has just obtained her Certificate III, I was under the impression that it was only Directors that did the rosters. Finally, my last problem is directors being on floor. Sometimes when she goes out for meetings or training and is gone for a whole day she wont have her 2IC act as director, but just tells them to stay in their room and answer the phone. I thought that there had to be an acting director in the office for at least some period during the middle of day. I can't find the information and can't go to my area manager because they are really good friends. Any advice I could get would be fantastic...

Lorina

Re: Management Problems

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:51 am

What your director doing isn't right, regarding the ratios. It sounds like there should be better time management in covering lunches so the director is able to cover most lunches if possible. It's just with the "under the house guidelines" it seems like everyone is a little confused on what exactly is and isn't allowed regarding the ratios. I've tried to find information on this myself but I can't find much at all! Anyways, I'll keep looking from my end...

Staff rosters should only be changed by directors and 2IC, that's it! I don't think anyone else should be able to make roster changes. That's part of a directors duty so I personally think it should only be made by them.

In regard to directors being on the floor, I think that it's alright for the 2IC to be working on the floor while your director is away. Only if it is necessary for a 2IC to be in the office then they should be taken off the floor. As long as the 2IC is aware of what's happening in the centre and is able to deal with any issues then I think it should be fine. Only if the director is away for a long period of time then the 2IC should be made to cover any office paperwork etc.

It doesn't matter how close your director and area manager is. You have a problem with your director you should approach the area manager no matter what. don't feel bad because they are good friends. The area manager needs to be professional and know what is going on in the centre!

:geek:,
L.A

saz_123

Re: Management Problems

Post by saz_123 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks L.A, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over reacting before talking to my area manager. Thank you!
-Sam