I quit childcare

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
WHATADAY

I quit childcare

Post by WHATADAY » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:08 pm

I started this job three weeks ago, I understand it is not long enough for me to truly experience about childcare industry but I think this is enough for me. Everyone told me that childcare is a hard job as we have to take care the children and make sure they are learning the correct way. Besides, people also told me that it is rewarding seeing the children start to depend on you and wants your cuddle when they are upset. I experienced these when I start working in childcare and I feel so happy to see the children everyday. To be honest, they are the one that motivate me to go work everyday.

I trying to ignore how other educators in the room treat me, I don't want to label as bully but I am feeling that everyday and especially more when I told them I have resigned. I have been working in hospitality industry for 6 years and I thought starting a new career in childcare will be different but it ended up horrible than hospitality.

These are few things that surprised me:

1) On the first day, the director (she is lovely) introduce me to the room leader and the other 2 assistant educators. They were friendly but not so open up and I thought probably I am still new. It takes time to get to know someone right? On the second day, they start to talk to me ask me about why I work this and what did I do during free time. I told them but I did not know that it spread around the centre. So it ended up everyone know my stuffs before I get to know them? I am not sure is all the childcare are like this or they are just too chatty? and I am not the person to chat about someone else personal life before I know them. I don't know what you guys feel but I think this is not okay at all especially when I am not comfortable to share my stuff to the whole centre yet.

2) The educators in the room are refused to talk to me. I am not sure the reason, all I know is they only chat among themselves, update the children information among themselves but not included me. Everything they chat are just themselves, I don't feel I am inclusive into the group. I have tried my best to talk to them or asking them questions, they did reply me. But they just don't include me into the conversation. This feel awful because I feel I did not talk for 8 hours during my job and I just keep tidying up the room, talk to children, nappy change, tidy up again after lunch time. There goes my whole day of work, and I feel meaningless. I am not saying we should talk but they are 100% keep talking to each other and I feel I am an alien there.

---------------After being this for 2 weeks, I have decided to resign because I thought childcare probably is not for me. Then, I told the room leader and educators about this. After that, I talked to the director as well. They said they were disappointing and I understand because this is the huge mistake I made. I have also offered my help for them and given a week notice as per the contract. And things went worst after this.-----------------

3) Those educators knew I have no experience in childcare. And one of the afternoon, the kids are running around and shouting. The room leader was doing nappy change and she came out to me and ask me to do a group time. I don't mind doing group time at all but how am I going to do it? I have seen other educatos do the group time but I don't think I am confident enough to do it yet. Is this my fault? Once she back to the nappy change, I did try my best to hold the children's attention but they just don't want to bother me. So, the room leader came out again and talk to the other educatos and say 'I have asked her to do group time'. On the spot, I feel WTF? I feel I was blamed for not doing it? I walked to her and apologise but she said it is fine? So I am wondering why she has to say something like that to other educators right infront of me and not telling me straight in my face? Is this the perks I should receive when I work in childcare?

4) Since, they treated me like an invisible human, so I just continue to do what I think I can do. When I returned the food container to the kitchen, the chef want to talk to me so we were chatting for a bit (I knew I shouldn't but who cares, those educators are just not respecting me at all). But, then the directors was looking for me as the room needed my support so I returned to the room. And I said I was talking to the chef and one of the educators walked pass by me and said 'you should have tell us where you go' in a very cranky and upset tone without looking into my eyes Or stopped infront of me and talked to me.

5) As this all happened, it just don't make me feel I want to complete my one week notice. I gave my resignation letter on Tuesday (after Australia Day long weekend) and my last day is on this Monday. So I ask the room leader that did she need help on the Monday and if she don't have any plan for including me to work, I will talk to the directors about my last day on Friday. She then said she couldn't make the decisions of letting me go earlier than what I have promised (I did not ask her to make decisions, I was just questioning about her planning before make a move because I am doing my best to not upset anyone again!) I of course did not end up asking the directors. Since the room leader said the new group of children will be in on Monday and it will be busy day. So I think I should help and not leave them like that. Then, there is a new child came to orientation to get to know the environment etc. So I was trying to make sure she is alright and accompany her. And the room leader came to me and said 'nothing personal, but I hope you don't interact with the kid so much as you are leaving and I don't want the kids to rely on you.' On the spot, I was thinking yeah that's right I shouldn't but after a minute I feel that she probably just bullshit? I don't know, this is just so weird for me.

All I knew I was trying to fit into this industry, trying as much as possible to help and be initiative because I read the forum about being helpful and be more alert about surrounding area so can help each other. But, end up I feeling hatred and I feel the competition among us. I came from hospitality background where teamwork is a thing. It is needed in workplace so I know I am a team player and provide anything I can do help the team to achieve the target. But, is that possible not in the childcare? I must admitted I maybe not doing enough research before stepping into this industry. Once again, I would like to apologise if you guys think that I have think wrong or saying something incorrectly. This is just based on my experience and I welcome all suggestions. But please do not criticise anyone experiences. Thanks heaps.

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I quit childcare

Post by Butterflyblue » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:32 pm

WHATADAY wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:08 pm
I started this job three weeks ago, I understand it is not long enough for me to truly experience about childcare industry but I think this is enough for me. Everyone told me that childcare is a hard job as we have to take care the children and make sure they are learning the correct way. Besides, people also told me that it is rewarding seeing the children start to depend on you and wants your cuddle when they are upset. I experienced these when I start working in childcare and I feel so happy to see the children everyday. To be honest, they are the one that motivate me to go work everyday.

I trying to ignore how other educators in the room treat me, I don't want to label as bully but I am feeling that everyday and especially more when I told them I have resigned. I have been working in hospitality industry for 6 years and I thought starting a new career in childcare will be different but it ended up horrible than hospitality.

These are few things that surprised me:

1) On the first day, the director (she is lovely) introduce me to the room leader and the other 2 assistant educators. They were friendly but not so open up and I thought probably I am still new. It takes time to get to know someone right? On the second day, they start to talk to me ask me about why I work this and what did I do during free time. I told them but I did not know that it spread around the centre. So it ended up everyone know my stuffs before I get to know them? I am not sure is all the childcare are like this or they are just too chatty? and I am not the person to chat about someone else personal life before I know them. I don't know what you guys feel but I think this is not okay at all especially when I am not comfortable to share my stuff to the whole centre yet.

2) The educators in the room are refused to talk to me. I am not sure the reason, all I know is they only chat among themselves, update the children information among themselves but not included me. Everything they chat are just themselves, I don't feel I am inclusive into the group. I have tried my best to talk to them or asking them questions, they did reply me. But they just don't include me into the conversation. This feel awful because I feel I did not talk for 8 hours during my job and I just keep tidying up the room, talk to children, nappy change, tidy up again after lunch time. There goes my whole day of work, and I feel meaningless. I am not saying we should talk but they are 100% keep talking to each other and I feel I am an alien there.

---------------After being this for 2 weeks, I have decided to resign because I thought childcare probably is not for me. Then, I told the room leader and educators about this. After that, I talked to the director as well. They said they were disappointing and I understand because this is the huge mistake I made. I have also offered my help for them and given a week notice as per the contract. And things went worst after this.-----------------

3) Those educators knew I have no experience in childcare. And one of the afternoon, the kids are running around and shouting. The room leader was doing nappy change and she came out to me and ask me to do a group time. I don't mind doing group time at all but how am I going to do it? I have seen other educatos do the group time but I don't think I am confident enough to do it yet. Is this my fault? Once she back to the nappy change, I did try my best to hold the children's attention but they just don't want to bother me. So, the room leader came out again and talk to the other educatos and say 'I have asked her to do group time'. On the spot, I feel WTF? I feel I was blamed for not doing it? I walked to her and apologise but she said it is fine? So I am wondering why she has to say something like that to other educators right infront of me and not telling me straight in my face? Is this the perks I should receive when I work in childcare?

4) Since, they treated me like an invisible human, so I just continue to do what I think I can do. When I returned the food container to the kitchen, the chef want to talk to me so we were chatting for a bit (I knew I shouldn't but who cares, those educators are just not respecting me at all). But, then the directors was looking for me as the room needed my support so I returned to the room. And I said I was talking to the chef and one of the educators walked pass by me and said 'you should have tell us where you go' in a very cranky and upset tone without looking into my eyes Or stopped infront of me and talked to me.

5) As this all happened, it just don't make me feel I want to complete my one week notice. I gave my resignation letter on Tuesday (after Australia Day long weekend) and my last day is on this Monday. So I ask the room leader that did she need help on the Monday and if she don't have any plan for including me to work, I will talk to the directors about my last day on Friday. She then said she couldn't make the decisions of letting me go earlier than what I have promised (I did not ask her to make decisions, I was just questioning about her planning before make a move because I am doing my best to not upset anyone again!) I of course did not end up asking the directors. Since the room leader said the new group of children will be in on Monday and it will be busy day. So I think I should help and not leave them like that. Then, there is a new child came to orientation to get to know the environment etc. So I was trying to make sure she is alright and accompany her. And the room leader came to me and said 'nothing personal, but I hope you don't interact with the kid so much as you are leaving and I don't want the kids to rely on you.' On the spot, I was thinking yeah that's right I shouldn't but after a minute I feel that she probably just bullshit? I don't know, this is just so weird for me.

All I knew I was trying to fit into this industry, trying as much as possible to help and be initiative because I read the forum about being helpful and be more alert about surrounding area so can help each other. But, end up I feeling hatred and I feel the competition among us. I came from hospitality background where teamwork is a thing. It is needed in workplace so I know I am a team player and provide anything I can do help the team to achieve the target. But, is that possible not in the childcare? I must admitted I maybe not doing enough research before stepping into this industry. Once again, I would like to apologise if you guys think that I have think wrong or saying something incorrectly. This is just based on my experience and I welcome all suggestions. But please do not criticise anyone experiences. Thanks heaps.

Wow! It sounds like you just went to an awful childcare centre. Unfortunately these sorts of things do happen in the child care industry as they do in many others including hospitality.

Sometimes people aren't nice and sometimes people are downright horrible, they bully others, especially new comers and it's just how they are.
I don't think there's anything you could have done differently to stop people from being true to themselves.

I would encourage you to stick it out longer but somewhere else. Don't go back to any workplace that's a toxic environment - it's not worth it.
Not everyone is like that in fact I would say most aren't but as you will see on forums like this and I could tell you stories all day long there are grown adults acting so pathetically towards others in early childhood education of all places, I mean the mind really does boggle.😡

Having been in the industry a long time I really can assure you that it's not like this everywhere and when you first start it can be really tough, its a steep learning curve.

Don't give up now and let some random people decide your future.
Consider if you could work somewhere else, with the same kids even but in a better team, would you?
I think you would and you'd be good at it too.
Your right the kids make it worthwhile as do fantastic colleagues and there's no reason you can't have both :)

For now I'd suggest you:
- Take some time for yourself so you can reconsider but not in haste
- Have a look at job vacancies in the childcare sector
- Consider joining an agency for work, especially in varied settings
- Have a think about family day care.
Family day care is care provided in the educators home for a small group of children. You get to be your own boss, work when you want and more.

Three weeks might not sound a long time but it is a long time to be somewhere awful, where your treated badly and feel miserable.
Everyone has to start somewhere and I'm sorry to hear the individuals here didn't help you transition into the workforce whilst providing guidance and demonstrating professionalism as they should have

Please don't let these 3 weeks be your only impression of childcare. Be strong and go somewhere bigger and better!

Ps. If you need help with a job just let us know what qualification you have and whereabouts your located ;)

esteban

Re: I feel you.

Post by esteban » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:49 pm

I understand where you are coming from alot of the place I have been are the same.
People are bullies. they think the way they working is right but its not.
I have been in child care for 11years iam 52 years old. there is no respect for anyone these day.

Elianaa
Participator
Participator

Post by Elianaa » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:46 pm

Oh that’s awful!
But the others are right, not everywhere is like that!
I really suggest you try agency work so you can go to different centres and see the different ways they work and gain experience.
Of course you don’t have the confidence to do group time yet, but good on you for having a try. At a good centre educators would support you and include you in their group times before expecting you to run them.
Don’t give up yet!

KarenD

Post by KarenD » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:12 am

It’s not my custom to give unsolicited advice. But your situation touched me…
Why don’t you take a break as Butterflyblue suggests? Abstract your mind from the situation. And if you still want to work with children try to find a new job in this industry.
If you love this work, you don’t have to quit it because you’ve met an unfriendly environment.