Stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place - Male Educator Career

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
chrisjt

Stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place - Male Educator Career

Post by chrisjt » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:26 am

Hi there,

This might a long post but it might be good of me to get it off my chest. I worked at my first childcare center after competing my Cert III in Children's Services in 2013. I worked there for three and half years as a long term casual. Over the time I had suffered issues of bullying and problems from the place since I had started. The place had a reputation for not having the best of staff members and a culture of ignoring bullying issues and sweeping it under the carpet so to speak. In the end I was let go due to 'under-performing at work' and I feel this was due to the bullying issues that were never addressed and I had seen a revolving door of staff coming and going because of this. I stayed longer than I should have because I couldn't really leave the children and it was hard for me to leave them since I looked after them since they were babies and now were in the pre-school room. It was heartbreaking that I couldn't get to say goodbye to them.

Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place due to this being my first childcare job and not having any references due to being let go when I go to job interviews which I feel is hurting my chances of getting another job. I don't know how to explain what happened without being seen as a bad former employee. I'm pretty lost at the moment and I'm 32 years old. After years of battling depression in my 20's I decided to do childcare as I enjoy being with children and giving them a good education. Now I feel I'm stuck with no where to go in the childcare industry anymore.

I don't know what to do

Lorina

Re: Stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place - Male Educator Career

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:08 am

I completely understand that being a male Educator can be extremely difficult. It's sad to hear that you have had issues in the centre where you had worked for 3 and a half years. Having bullying staff to deal with is never easy and psychologically it's a huge problem which can cause you so much stress!

In regards to your previous job, since you cannot get a reference from your Director are you able to get a letter of reference from anyone at the centre? Such as Room Leaders or even Parents? Parents can also give a reference letter on how you interact with their child etc. I know that they can't be specific about your job and responsibilities however it's something to start with.

During your job interviews, I wouldn't recommend discussing any negativity about your previous job. You can say that you left due to unavoidable circumstances however never mention anything bad that happened... Focus on what you did, your responsibilities, tasks you completed, experiences you set up and prepared etc.

Are you able to put a Portfolio together of what you have done while working as a casual? Such as photos of experiences you have set up, any written documentation you had completed etc. This will help showcase yourself as an Educator. If not, don't worry...

Have you tried OOSH? Working in before and after school care service? I know of male educators that work in an OOSH and overall they feel it more comfortable than working in an early childhood service.

Don't give up! Due to one bad experience, you shouldn't throw your passion out the door. You stayed with a service for 3 and a half years where you were bullied by staff because you felt a responsibility to the children - that's dedication and passion.

It may take time to find something - but a centre will come along where you will fit right in!

:geek:,
Lorina