Guidance for growth as a child care educator

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
trish73
Participator
Participator

Guidance for growth as a child care educator

Post by trish73 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi, I obtained my certificate 3 three years ago and I started working as a casual for almost 6 months and studying my diploma in childcare. Because I am working as a casual I feel like I'm forgetting everything that I have studied in my certificate three because I have been out of practice. Eventhough I appreciate the centre I am working for as a casual, my confidence that I felt when I finish my cert 3 course is fading away.
And while I am studying towards a diploma, I can't help to think will I still be in the same position as a casual and feel out of practice when I have my diploma.
I think when you don't get work straight away after obtaining a qualification it affects my confidence in my performance in my work.
Now if the centre gives me a level three position maybe in the future, my confidence is not there like it was before and I would probably need guidance or mentoring.
My question is how long should I work as a casual for in a centre with a level three and studying towards a diploma ?
I just don't to always remain as a casual, it would be nice to experience working as different levels of the qualifications that I have achieved.

Lorina

Re: Guidance for growth as a child care educator

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:14 am

I know exactly what you mean. As a casual there is only so much you’re able to do. Most of the time you’re supervising the children and not getting really involved in the children’s learning.. why don’t you find a permanent job... at least you will be able to practice the knowledge and skills you have learnt in your cert 3 qualification. You can help with planning, setting up experiences, documentation etc. Even if you need guidance and mentoring as a cert 3 position you’re room leader will support you and assist you so don’t worry about that. You’re confidence will grow as you settle into a routine...

:geek:,
Lorina

trish73
Participator
Participator

Post by trish73 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:34 pm

Thanks Lorina,
Your message was a great help :thumbup:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:38 pm