College not supporting me at all, thinking of taking further action

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

College not supporting me at all, thinking of taking further action

Post by Steffelz » Sat May 26, 2012 7:35 pm

Hey guys, I have a dilemma.
I know those of you who have been on here for a while, will have seen my numerous posts asking for help with my assignments etc. because my college is impossible to deal with. Things have just become ridiculous, so now Im wondering if It is appropriate to take further action. This is the whole story.
I started the cert in Mid 2010,(I chose the college because I was assured of the excellent support I would receive so I spent all my savings with some help from my dad and paid for the cert 3 in full).
I had a personal situation that meant I had to take a few months off, but started up again soon.
I kept emailing my tutor and calling her with a few questions but couldn't get hold of her for months. I finally got hold of the office who told me she no longer worked there and had moved overseas. That was the first issue, but i was given a new tutor and carried on my work. Getting hold of my tutor since then has been like getting hold of an A list Hollywood celebrity. I have dealt with all of that through the miracle that is this forum!!! (one day when I have money, I will definitely donate!).
I started my vocational placement at a center linked to the college (because they told me this is where I had to to it) which has been one big headache. The director is never there, so all the teacher have to do their own work, the directors work and try to deal with the fact that there is some sort of management problem in the company, which is causing heaps of friction. So naturally none of them have any time to answer my questions. I need to sit down with someone to slowly go through my vocational placement work book so I can understand some stuff (I have add and adhd so i take longer to get the hang of stuff).
I eventually got hold of the area manager a while ago after calling every single centre in the city, to ask one question. But I haven't been able to get hold of her again.
I would like to be finished by October, and it would be do able if I had some idea about what I was doing, and since I paid for everything, I can't get a refund.
Im so frustrated, I could cry, or throw a tantrum like a two year old, I just don't know what to do.
I am thinking of taking further action to get them to give me what I have paid for, but I don't know what to do or how to do it.
If anyone knows of anything, please let me know :)
Last edited by Lorina on Sun May 27, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic moved from career in childcare forum to certificate 3 - general forum

Lorina

Re: College not supporting me at all, thinking of taking further action

Post by Lorina » Sun May 27, 2012 6:37 pm

It completely sucks that you are unable to get support from your college! I know it must be frustrating trying to find out a solution to a query and it takes so long just to get in touch with people! Don't know if further action will help you out. I mean by the sounds of it by the time you file an issue or complaint against the college you would probably be finished your cert 3 before receiving a response from them...lol...

What exactly do you need help in regarding your work placement book? Is there anything specific that you are stuck on? Are you able to upload a copy of it so I can take a look?

:geek: L.A

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steffelz » Mon May 28, 2012 12:27 pm

I have attached a copy of the booklet to the post.
The parts Im stuck with are certain parts of the evidence guide. Some of the things don't make sense to me for example
"Evidence Guide" "Reviewing and modifying work practices in consultation with persons from diverse cultural backgrounds"
The part Im stuck with is what I have to do, to be able to get the point/evidence, signed off on. theres heaps of them ,some make sense and others just don't make any sense to me.
Its like I'm working with a blindfold on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue May 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Alright here’s what I understand from it…

When you begin work placement you usually team up with someone at the centre (where you will be doing work placement) who will be your mentor (supervisor in other words)!

On page 8, of the attachment, it starts listing workplace evidence. Your mentor will need to fill out the top section, sign and date it. You, yourself will have to fill out the “tasks completed in the workplace”. All this requires you to do is write down what you did during work placement in relation to the evidence guide. So, for element 1 task can include:

- Using gloves and a tissue to wipe child’s nose.
- Making sure children with allergies are given proper food etc.
- Getting down on child’s level to talk with them.
- Supervising children on the playground equipment.
- Wearing gloves when changing nappies.

So basically you are providing an example of the task you completed. Then you get your supervisor to sign it etc. Obviously, you can’t write everything that you do so just choose a couple. Your supervisor has to verify it by signing the form anyway….

I just had a look through and there are some highlighted ones. Are they the ones you already completed? If yes, just write a task in relation to it. For e.g. on page 38 you highlighted:

Obtaining permission to observe a child and completing three types of introductory level observations to the required standard: 1. anecdotal observation 2. running record 3. time sample

The task could be: “I spoke to Bobs father about permission to observe his child”.

Hopefully this makes sense… There is a lot here…how long is work placement for?

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steffelz » Tue May 29, 2012 8:30 pm

WOW thank you so much for taking the time to read through this!
The highlighted ones are ones that I need to supply evidence for. I have done a few of them, the main problem is that Im struggling with some of the wording of it, not necessarily the wording but rather what is expected of me, (or if my understanding is the same as what they mean)
Its starting to make sense though, slowly. Thanks to you :)
My mentor is the director, who is never there.
But I think ill just do baby steps and use google.
Work placement is 160 hours and I have done about 60-70
Thanks so much you have no idea how much this helps

koz-moz

Post by koz-moz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:57 am

'the main problem is that Im struggling with some of the wording of it, not necessarily the wording but rather what is expected of me, (or if my understanding is the same as what they mean)'

I know exactly what you mean when you say this!
http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/c ... t1642.html
hope you finish by october, hang in there, good luck

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:51 am

It is horrid when you get no support from your study provider. I would (once you have finished your Cert III & have your certificate in hand) go in and give them a written complaint ... which you hand in to management or HR not your Department. I would also verbally be saying that you had a really bad experience and you will definitely not recommend anyone to do their study through them.
You are well within your rights to speak up about your experiences and unless you do things will not change for others.
I hate it when places "claim" to have good support etc yet they do not deliver on their promises.
My TAFE tutor was so busy but she always got back to me within the day and was always happy to answer my questions and speak to me whenever I needed her. In fact it has been over a year since I finished my Diploma and I still email her now and then with some queries about my further plans etc and she still remembers me and emails me back promptly. Now that shows dedication and care and that is why I highly recommend BNIT to anyone doing their study

tls978

Post by tls978 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:45 pm

i know exactly how you feel coz i am in the same boat when it comes to getting help with module questions. i am at the end of my rope.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 pm

If your study provider does not meet your expectations or is not giving you the support you need or were promised you MUST complain. Put your complain in writing + email them so you have a copy of what you have written with proof it did not bounce back, if doing it in writing send it registered so they have to sign for it so you have proof they got it. If you keep silent they will keep doing it to others.

For the future I recommend that you ask around and find out who the best places are to study with. I never embark on any study or even buy anything without doing a LOT of research first.