Cert 3 - Qualified or Unqualified? What's the difference?

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
strawberryapples

Cert 3 - Qualified or Unqualified? What's the difference?

Post by strawberryapples » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been doing some research on Child Care workers Cert 3's.

Some people have said they have their cert 3 but are still being classed as unqualified and others are saying they have their cert 3's and are qualified. Which is right?? Im in Victoria.

But im not sure what the difference is in support worker and Child care worker. Are they the same?

thanks
Last edited by Lorina on Fri May 03, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited, topic moved from Career In Childcare forum

Lorina

Re: Can someone please explain the difference in qualifications

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:52 am

As far as I am aware a certificate 3 is classified as a qualified worker... I think that's why as part of the new regs they say all workers must obtain a minimum cert 3 to work in Childcare.

I don't know if I'm right but from the info I have read a support worker is one who meets the criteria for a Disability Support Pension and is unable to perform all the required duties because of their impairment. Like I said I'm not sure if I'm right on this one...

:geek:,
L.A

strawberryapples

Post by strawberryapples » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks L.A for the reply. I thought the same that is why i asked the question. I didn't know about the support worker one though thats interesting. Im looking at going on an doing my diploma but i wasn't sure if i should do it as soon as i finish my Cert 3 i only have 8 weeks left of my cert 3. What would you recommend?

thank you

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Honestly speaking I think you should get into your diploma straight away. There is not much point of waiting if you know that's what you want to do! You are already studying your cert 3 so just continue on your study routine into a diploma. I also think having your diploma will give you more opportunities and more options of what you want to do in Childcare.

jamlyn

Post by jamlyn » Fri May 04, 2012 2:52 pm

I have just completed my certificate 3 in childrens services and I am now classified as being qualified