CHCPR303D - Scenario: Harrison, Cody & Kaitee

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
glaive
Participator
Participator

CHCPR303D - Scenario: Harrison, Cody & Kaitee

Post by glaive » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:24 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Assessment 1 / Task 2
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
There's three scenarios (which I can post if needed) in which the activity should be linked to appropriate EYLF Outcomes, an interpretation of skills should be added, and a suggestion for future planning that includes EYLF Outcome, Learning Experience, Environment, Resources Needed, and Educators promote this learning when:...

My question 1: I'm not sure if I missed some and used the correct EYLF Outcomes in both the scenario and the future planning experience / extension...

My question 2: Is the future planning activity / experience appropriate?

These are the scenarios summarised...

1) Harrison (2yrs) plays with his friend 'going shopping' and shows good language skills for his age as well as the ability to ask for help when needed. (EYLF Outcome 5 has been done for this scenario)

2) Cody (4yrs) who loves gardening and collaborates effectively with other children in organising their gardening project. He then brings in additional vegetables grown at home (which they didn't plant at the centre) and displays them proudly to everyone. He then helps preparing them into delicious foods and enjoys them later alongside everyone else.

3) Kaitee (9yrs) who talks about her new shoes and her experience buying them. She then organises obtaining other shoes (from sister, etc.) that she shares with the centre (for dramatic play area). She then researches the internet and shares information about a class in Canada wearing snow shoes with the group. She draws a picture of the snow shoes from memory to show the class.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I summarised my replies here too, otherwise this would be a massive post :)

1) What next? Future planning - I put EYLF Outcome 5 for the learning experience, using picture books where Harrison and his friend are encouraged to 'tell' the story together. Educators can promote this learning by sharing in the fun basically and teaching new words when required.

2) EYLF Outcomes 2 and 4 for the scenario.
What next? Future planning - I put EYLF 2 and 4 here as well for the learning experience, organising a chick hatching experience, which should deepen the children's understanding and appreciation of the wonders of life. Additionally they can watch those chicks grow up, care for them, etc. ... maybe even get eggs later? I also added that they could enhance the chicks area with decorations they can craft. Educators can promote this learning by encouraging children to participate in naming the chicks, caring for them, etc.

3) EYLF Outcomes 1 and 5 for the scenario.
What next? Future planning - I put EYLF Outcome 4 and 5 here for the learning experience, learning about shoe fashion through the ages where children are encouraged to do a little research and then draw their favourite shoes. The drawings would then be displayed and children would be asked to give a little presentation about their chosen shoe style, highlighting what they learned about it and why they chose this design. Educators can promote this learning by providing opportunity to express children's preferences in styles as well as encouraging creativity and confidence in presenting what they like.

Description and Message:
Number 3 was the toughest - I just don't see boys enjoying this type of activity... any thoughts on that?

Any pointers are super appreciated :) I know this assignment is a big one and I tried to keep it short (in Word it's worth 3 pages on smallish print - yikes). If I missed anything important, I'll try to add more information.
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: CHCPR303D - Develop understanding of children's interests and development needs

Post by cathiek » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi glaive.

For future planning for 1. you could set up the home corner as a shop with pretend items for sale & cash registers. You could also get store catalogues and the children could cut them out and glue them on to a pic of a shopping trolly 'the things they would buy if they went shopping'. this can then relate to outcome 3 as well - fine motor skills - strong sense of wellbeing.
For 2, you would need to ensure you link this well, it is a bit of a jump from growing vegetables to hatching chicks so ensure you link it through prior lessons about perhaps, farms that grow food and farms that have animals maybe.or maybe that fruit and vegie scraps can be recylcled by feeding to chooks - environment/sustainability and all that.
For number 3 the boys (and the girls for that matter) may choose to do sneakers - you could have a discussion and some books on famous basketball players of footy players etc and that links in sports shoes which the real 'boy' boys would be happy with I would think
It is really interesting to see that EYLF is now included in assignments, about time. I think your answers look good, but as you say you have summarised them here so you may already have my suggestions in place.
Good luck
Cathiek

glaive
Participator
Participator

Re: CHCPR303D - Develop understanding of children's interests and development needs

Post by glaive » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Thank you cathiek :)

I did think about the grocery shopping idea in a more elaborate way, so may go back to the old version there.
For 2, I might just go with composting for sustainability / environment.
Sneakers! Perfect!