CHCIC301A Explaining limitations to children about their ideas

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

CHCIC301A Explaining limitations to children about their ideas

Post by Steffelz » Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 am

Hey Guys , Ive answered another question and was hoping someone could let me know if m on the right track and/or where my answer needs adjustments.
The Question is:
How would you explain to a five year old that it is not possible to take the class on an
excursion to Ayers Rock?

And my answer is as follows:

First of all I would get down to the childs level and talk to them in a place where we can have a proper conversation. I would start by acknowledging, the fantastic idea that the child has come up with and how good it would be but then I need to explain clearly, in a way that the child will understand, that Ayers Rock is very far away, and it would cost lots and lots and lots of money to go there, and that we would have to be away from home and our families for quite a while.
I would then suggest that we might be able to do a class/center project where we learn about Ayers Rock, and make the classroom look like that area. We could get everyone involved and make our own ayers rock in the class.
I can talk with the child and support them to come up with ideas to make this happen.
When the child has a clear idea of what they would like to do, I could continue supporting them by directing them to materials and resources that they could use to make their idea a reality.

Thats my answer, any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Thanks guys
:)

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: CHCIC301A Explaining limitations to children about their ideas

Post by cathiek » Wed May 02, 2012 6:47 pm

I think that is a great reply. You could build on it further by showing/discussing books that have photos and information on Ayers rock. You could make it into an Indigenous Studies type activity explaining about Uluru and it's significance to the Indigenous people. If the children have access to the internet you could find sites with photos info too.
Cathie

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: CHCIC301A Explaining limitations to children about their ideas

Post by Steffelz » Thu May 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks heaps, thats perfect, It was in my head but I couldn't get it into words :)