CHCCS400A Work within a relevant Legal and Ethical framework

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
annejo
Participator
Participator

CHCCS400A Work within a relevant Legal and Ethical framework

Post by annejo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:30 pm

Below is a Scenario And I need some help with this.if onyone could help me i would be very grateful.

Parents have their child in your service. And they have not arrived to collect her. A person comes to the service and tells u she is here to collect her as both her parents are working late. You are working with 2 relief staff.

In answering the question you are to refer to and demonstrate knowledge of revelevant legal and ethical guidelines eg UN Rights of the Child, code of Ethics), Quality Assurance principles QIAS, workplace licensing and regulatory requirements eg 2004 Nsw Regulations and childcare service policies and procedures.

I need to give a step by step account to clearly explain what action you would take in this situation.

annejo
Participator
Participator

Re: CHCCS400A Work within a relevant Legal and Ethical framework

Post by annejo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:39 pm

I have scenerio a parent is a home based carer and has 3 children in her care. One of the children is 3 years old and often comes to her unwashed, has a runny nose and hair uncombed and dirty clothes. The child is quiet and withdrawn and often cries until his mum picks him up. the carer finds the childs behaviour very irritating and his personal hygiene difficult to cope with. She often ignores him or tell him crossly to go away. Stop being a sook or leave me alone. I'm busy with the others.

Q1 How is the carer's behaviour unethical? Give examples from the code of ethics.

Q2 How are the childs rights being denied? Give examples from the Un Rights of Child

Q3 How has the carer's own personal views, beliefs, attitudes and culture influenced her behaviours towards this child?

annejo
Participator
Participator

Post by annejo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:48 pm

Could I please have some help with this scenario 4. Would be very grateful

You are having a night out with your work colleagues from your service when u see one of your parents from the centre. This parent comes over to your group and starts talking about other families at the service. Your colleague begins to join in with the conversation, adding comments about the families.

Q1 How would u deal with the situation at the time? And What would you say

Q2 What childcare policies might your colleague be breaching in this situation?

Q3 Which specific parts of the Code of Ethics, QIAS and @004 NSW Regulations is the colleague breaching?

I would be very grateful for help on these questions.

annejo
Participator
Participator

Post by annejo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:58 pm

Can anyone please help with this
A child arrives at the centre with little or no food for morning tea or lunch.When the child does bring food it is a packet of 2 minute noodles or dry biscuits. The child has chronic headlice and school scores that never heal. The child comes from a single parent family and have recently
immigrated to Australia from Indonesia. the child's mother only understands the most basic english. It's a cold winter morning the child arrives at the centre in shorts and a singlet that are still wet from being washed. the mother is unsteady on her feet and smells of alcohol.

Q1 What type of abuse is the child at risk of?

Q2 What risk of harm indicators or signs are evident in this scenario?

Q3 What would you do next? Give a step by step account of your actions.?

Q4 What cultural factors do you need to take into consideration?

Could anyone please help with this case scenerio. Would be most grateful.

annejo
Participator
Participator

Post by annejo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:10 pm

I am really stuck with this scenario 2

A parent of a child in the 3-5 yr old room (18206/18208 students) or in an area of the OSHC service (41208 students) comes to make a complaint about one of the other staff members who works in the same room as you. The parent says the staff member ignores her child and often yells loudly at her child. Once as she was leaving the centre she thought she heard a loud slap and a child crying.

Q1 What would you say to the parent and what would you then do?

Q2 List the relevant sections of the 2004 NSW Regulations that you would refer to in this matter?

Q3Which policies may assist you in dealing with the complaint?

Q4 How would you support the mother in the process of making a complaint?

Q5 How is this staff member breaching the code of Ethics?

Q6 What documentation would you keep and who could you notify?

I am so over whelmed with this I would be most and sincerely grateful for help with these questions?

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:11 pm

WOW thats A LOT of questions!
perhaps you can answer them and post your answers then we can help you out more.

For the 1st one only persons who are authorised to pick a child up can do so, if someone else who is not on that list comes a centre requires a parent to inform them and when the person picks them up a copy of their ID (drivers licence) is taken.
You never every hand over a child to someone who says they are here to get the child instead of the person who usually does, even if its someone the child clearly recognises and is comfortable with. If they are not authorised to take the child you do not let that child leave with them.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:30 am

perhaps you can answer them and post your answers then we can help you out more.

I agree...with scenario based questions, try and answer it this way - "What would you do if you come across that situation at work"?

Also, I will give you the link to another topic in this forum where L.A had attached the Code of Ethics for Early Childhood. Download the attachment and have a read through the Code of Ethics to get some ideas on ways to answer the different scenarios. Post your answers and your understanding here and we will have a look...

Here is the link: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... 1355#p1355

annejo
Participator
Participator

Post by annejo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:28 am

Thank you very much for your advice. Most grateful.

annejo
Participator
Participator

Post by annejo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:00 pm

annejo wrote:Below is a Scenario And I need some help with this.if onyone could help me i would be very grateful.

Parents have their child in your service. And they have not arrived to collect her. A person comes to the service and tells u she is here to collect her as both her parents are working late. You are working with 2 relief staff.

In answering the question you are to refer to and demonstrate knowledge of revelevant legal and ethical guidelines eg UN Rights of the Child, code of Ethics), Quality Assurance principles QIAS, workplace licensing and regulatory requirements eg 2004 Nsw Regulations and childcare service policies and procedures.

I need to give a step by step account to clearly explain what action you would take in this situation.
I would comply with my legal and duty of care requirements and explain to the person who is picking up the child in question. That at enrolement time parents of the child are informed & given a form to supply information of person's who will be authorised

to pick up their child from the centre and the person has to be 18 years of age and over and this permission of consent has to be in writting.

annejo
Participator
Participator

CHCCS400a legal and ethical Framework

Post by annejo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi I am only new to this site so I am wondering if i am using this site in the correct way.

I have a scenerio about a parent who has not collected her child from your service and another person has turn up to collect the child and you are working with two relief staff.

Could someone inform me of what i need to do in this situation and i have to knowledge of the Un Rights of the child,Code of Ethics, Quality assurance principles and nsw regulations and childcare policies and procedures.

Am I on the right track by answering about my duty of care legal and care requirements and explain this to the person who has turned up to collect the child that only the authorised people who can collect the child that are only on the enrolment form.

And what are the staff ratio requirements in this case . Their needs to be 2 primary contact staff are on the premises of the centre relief staff are not included as primary staff contact.

A person needs to be of 18year and over and have writenconstent to be able to collect a child from an childcare centre
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merging topic

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCCS400a legal and ethical Framework

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:25 pm

staffing requirements - see attachment

as mentioned in a previous post u never ever hand a child over to anyone other than authorised persons. some centres will have forms for parents to fill out if the child is being picked up by someone else as a one off thing. IDs are always checked and copies taken for record. if in doubt, ring parents & talk to the centre director as to what to do
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

annejo
Participator
Participator

Post by annejo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:32 pm

Thank you for for your input and the website link. Iwill look at that. Kind regards annejo

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:20 pm

no problem

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi Annejo,

Your response to the above scenario is correct however it does say to give a step by step account of what you would do in this situation. For example, you could mention that when the person arrives you check their i.d and see if they are on the authorized pickup list, you try to make contact with the parents to clarify who is picking the child up, contact other's on the authorized pick up list to verify if they can collect the child etc...

Also just to let you know, I've merged your posts from the new topic you had created together since you had already posted the same assignment question in this topic itself.

Hope this helps!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

annejo
Participator
Participator

Post by annejo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I am just new into this field. I have been a stay at home mum for 17 years and I have just re entered the work force. I am struggling with assignment as i have not done this type of thing for so long that I am finding it hard to put the wording structure together. I just wanted to give you a better picture as to why I am seeking support with this assessment. I am most grateful for any direction regarding these scenarios. Kind regards. annejo

annejo
Participator
Participator

Post by annejo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:56 am

annejo wrote:Can anyone please help with this
A child arrives at the centre with little or no food for morning tea or lunch.When the child does bring food it is a packet of 2 minute noodles or dry biscuits. The child has chronic headlice and school scores that never heal. The child comes from a single parent family and have recently
immigrated to Australia from Indonesia. the child's mother only understands the most basic english. It's a cold winter morning the child arrives at the centre in shorts and a singlet that are still wet from being washed. the mother is unsteady on her feet and smells of alcohol.

Q1 What type of abuse is the child at risk of?

Q2 What risk of harm indicators or signs are evident in this scenario?

Q3 What would you do next? Give a step by step account of your actions.?

Q4 What cultural factors do you need to take into consideration?

Could anyone please help with this case scenerio. Would be most grateful.
Q1 In this scenario the child is at risk of Neglect

Q2 Risk of harm indicators that are evident in this scenario

* Poor standard of Hygiene
* Lack of good nutritional food and supplied food
* Failure to thrive
*General appearance of neglect -
*Poor primary health care

Am I on the right track with these answers to 1& 2 so far Have I over looked something in the scenario. Would be grateful for some feedback with this scenario

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:17 pm

so far you seem to be on track and have mentioned things that are evident

it is mandatory that you have to report suspition of neglect and usually community services will take over
the following websites details this
http://www.aifs.gov.au/nch/pubs/sheets/rs3/rs3.html
you would have to take your suspitions along with evidence to the Director of the centre who would then have to report this
i do not if this is right but before doing all this i would try to get through to the mother that what she is doing is not correct and she needs to provide more suitable food & clothing for her child maybe even finding her some support groups to help her out. all failing if nothing gets solved then i would report her and let Community Services deal with it

Culturally where they come from noodles is fine for a child to eat, in most SE Asian countries noodles is a staple food so she perhaps assumes 2 min noodles have the same nutritional value as noodles that are cooked at home.... singlet and shorts maybe what the child used to go to school in back in Indonesia so again perhaps the mother believes it to be ok. Parents from other cultures sometimes need to be clearly informed of what is expected here in Australia and that some things that are acceptable in their countries may not be here in Australia

Hope this helps

annejo
Participator
Participator

Post by annejo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:15 pm

Thankyou for all your guidance with this senario. I will have a look at the website you have given me. Kind reguards

annejo
Participator
Participator

Post by annejo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:59 pm

annejo wrote:I am really stuck with this scenario 2

A parent of a child in the 3-5 yr old room (18206/18208 students) or in an area of the OSHC service (41208 students) comes to make a complaint about one of the other staff members who works in the same room as you. The parent says the staff member ignores her child and often yells loudly at her child. Once as she was leaving the centre she thought she heard a loud slap and a child crying.

Q1 What would you say to the parent and what would you then do?
I would fine an appropriate quiet room or area to discuss this situation with the parent by using an professional approach by being active listener and allowing the parent time to disclose the greivance she has about the staff member. I would acknowledge her complaint and try to come some positive resolution, if this unable to be done I inform the parent that they have every right to put their compliant in writting and would ensure they received a form to make an form complaint if the parent wishes to do so, or I would take the parent up to the directors office to see how we can come to a positive outcome for all parties involved in the matter

Q2 List the relevant sections of the 2004 NSW Regulations that you would refer to in this matter?

Q3Which policies may assist you in dealing with the complaint?

Greivances compliant policy
Confidentalitiy policy
Privacy act policy

Q4 How would you support the mother in the process of making a complaint?
I would inform her of the process and procdures involved in making a formal compliant and I would provided the parent with a complaint form and explain the compliant needs to be in writting

Q5 How is this staff member breaching the code of Ethics?

Q6 What documentation would you keep and who could you notify?

I am so over whelmed with this I would be most and sincerely grateful for help with these questions?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi Annejo,

I just had a read through your responses and you are on the right track.... what you have already answered seems to fit in with the question... Have you looked through the regulations for question 2? I do have a copy however I won't be able to look into it until this evening so I can post up what I find over the next couple of days... With the Code of Ethics, you can find a copy of it on this site itself, just type code of ethics in the search box on the top right hand side and then you will be able to find it, in one of the other topics. Just have a read through it to answer that question...

Have a good afternoon,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A