CHCCN303A microbial growth

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

CHCCN303A microbial growth

Post by Steffelz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey guys, Im looking for some direction, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Im on the tight track. the question is:
Describe the conditions for microbial growth in a food preparation area.

the answer I have so far is:

FOOD/NUTRIENTS
Nutrients are needed for any living organism to live and grow and is obtained from sources such as sugars, starch, protein, fat and other compounds containing nutrients. The foods in which bacteria like to multiply are normally nutritious foods. These include meat, poultry, fish (particularly shellfish), cooked rice and pasta, milk products and eggs and also any foods which contain these as an ingredient such as meat pies, sandwiches, gravy, salads, etc.

MOISTURE/WATER
Bacteria need water to dissolve the food they use for energy and growth.

WARMTH/TEMPERATURE
Bacteria are capable of growing over a wide range of temperatures and are usually classified according to the temperature at which they grow. They will grow at temperatures between 5°C and 63°C, and have an optimum temperature for growth of about 37°C. Listeria bacteria will grow very slowly below 5°C, but most pathogens become inactive (dormant) at low temperatures. They start to multiply more rapidly as the temperature rises.

TIME
In ideal conditions (i.e. in moist foods at 37°C) bacteria will grow and multiply by dividing into two every 20 minutes. After 6 hours, in ideal conditions, one bacterial cell could become 131,072 bacteria.

OXYGEN

pH
Most bacteria grow well at neutral pH, but many can reproduce in a pH range from 4.5 - 10.0.

AREA
In a food preparation area, places where microbial growth can occur include, un sterilized dishcloths, chopping boards, benchtops, surfaces etc.

I have no idea if this is right or how right it is, or if anything needs to be added to it, any input would be much appreciated,

Lorina

Re: CHCCN303A microbial growth

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Hey Steffelz,

I just had a quick read through your response and I'm pretty sure you covered everything that is needed... However I will look into some more info I have and let you know if anything else can be added.... I'm currently at work so I won't be able to do it until this evening...

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Hey Steffelz,

Just got back from work... I had a look into "Microbial Growth" with the info I got and you seem to have everything covered... there is nothing further to add... :thumbup:

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Good answer Steff... i studied science at uni and u have everything covered in your answer without making it over complicated

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steffelz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:48 pm

HOORAY!!!! thank you both so much, I often dont have confidence in my answers as My tutors are impossible to contact, I cant thank you enough :)