Receiving Feedback From Educators During Work Placement

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
MustHaveCoffee

Receiving Feedback From Educators During Work Placement

Post by MustHaveCoffee » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:35 pm

I’m studying my Diploma of ECEC and I’ve finished my first placement, and I passed with many positive comments from my Focus Lecturer.

Yet instead of celebrating, I feel as though somehow I failed momentously and now just want to crawl under a rock and hide.

I found that the children loved being with me (and would drop everything to run up to me in the mornings).

The parents only ever spoke positively to myself and Educators about seeing a male studying the profession and how their children were taking to me.

The Educators only ever had positive words to say (and I overheard several discuss how I fitted in and should be offered a job).

Yet…

I can count the conversations (sorry, sentences) that the Director spoke to me, on one hand….. and then I would have fingers to spare (spent most of the morning in the room, before they introduced herself to me).

Conversations with my mentor and the room leader weren’t much better, and the first week of placement saw me have to take the initiative to immerse myself into the children’s daily routines and care, because I was given no direction (walked into the room, was introduced and that was it).…. And it was the only way I could ensure that I was covering off my assessment competency requirements.

It wasn’t until the second week that I finally received any real feedback, which was that I was taking on more initiative then most (um- well, didn’t really have a choice in that one) and that I was developing positive relationships with the children. All good to be told this but I was still left struggling, almost begging to undertake tasks in order to demonstrate a competent ability for a pass mark.

What made it worse was having my forms at the end being signed to the comments of “is that it, ok, good luck with your other placements, bye”.

Is this normal experience for all? I am at a loss to understand an experience with such extremes in attitude.

I was so upset by the experience that I couldn’t even bring myself to say goodbye to the children, and that hurt a lot :(

And honestly, if I have to go through the same experience on another placement, I don't think I would continue.

teacher2015

Re: Receiving Feedback From Educators During Work Placement

Post by teacher2015 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Hello!

I was sad to read about your experience. I am not a student but I think things could be better at a different centre.

Unfortunately it could be worse - personally I have been talked to in the most disgusting manner twice in recent months as I return to the early learning industry as a casual. One time was in front of other staff and lots of toddlers. :shock:

I'm in my late 30s so this kind of thing (the poisonous tone of voice) shouldn't shock me but I can't stop thinking about it - and telling a lot of people about it.

I just looked up 'bullying and childcare' and found this:
"Research shows that any single-gender-dominated workplace will be more prone to bullying compared to those with a balance of men and women. The average childcare centre is a battlefield; so too is the average mine site."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/ms-b ... z3m5qJyh2I
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

I would be interested to hear from everyone else. I hope everyone else shares some good stories of positive feedback, etc.

MustHaveCoffee

Post by MustHaveCoffee » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:08 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

I wouldn't call my situation bullying. But I do understand that as a male in a female dominated industry (I believe that males only make up 3%), just as a female in a male dominated industry, "I need to work twice as hard to be half as good".

It was just so disheartening to have such a tremendously positive response from all those around me, the (Parents, Children, Educators, Lecturers), only to have those who can make or break a chosen career path show such disinterest.

I could have initially looked past the initial disinterest and chalked it up to a lack of enthusiasm for training students, but there was no debriefing, no discussion, nothing. I wouldn't have even gotten "bye" If I didn't instigate that conversation :(

I passed, Yeah! And that should be a success, right? Yet there is no celebration, just stress.

I would love to hear from any other males in the industry students or otherwise. Are you/ have you gone through similar? Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:09 am

I really think that its's a lack of respect and the lack of enthusiasm some educators show towards students. You should have a read at the experiences that students have endeavoured through work placement just on this forum and it's ethically wrong. Unfortunately some educators just don't care, they see students as a "free hand" to do all the crappy jobs and to over power them. It's not their problem whether or not you have to complete assignments or whether you pass or fail... I have seen it myself, educators ignoring students, rolling their eyes at a students suggestion, getting them to do all the cleaning. It's so unfortunate that it happens and it really makes me question the people working in this industry.. Seriously aren't we all adults working together! Even mature age studnets get treated like this by the "younger" ones! Lack of respect! :evil: Makes me so mad!

Not all educators are like this but there is a handful that will treat you like crap! RTO's should do more to support students find work placement, so you can get the best possible experience!

Be proud! You did really well... Don't let a couple of educators pull you down!!

:geek:,
Lorina

teacher2015

Post by teacher2015 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:07 am

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest your situation was bullying, but it is something that needs to be considered in this industry. Read the forum for plenty of tales of toxic workplaces.

There has been a great thread on this forum about males working in this industry - you should look it up. I've worked with around 6 male educators recently and they were so nice to me and great with the children. :)

Not related to your situation but I've found two students hard to deal with when I was a paid educator because they gave ME orders 2-3 times. It feels like there are a lot of strong personalities in this industry.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi,
Once again I am so shocked to hear that in this day and age anyone goes through this. I think some people that have been in the industry for a long time need to have a long break and reassess whether or not their hearts are still in the job. I would think that they would take advantage of the students enthusiasm while they have them there. Its so refreshing to see new people so passionate with what they do, it can be contagious. If anyone is in Brisbane I would love to have them for work experience, as we found out on another titled forum on this website that you can do placement with Family Day Care. Keep your chin up and stand up for yourselves, its not right. Don't lose your love for the work you will be an asset to the lucky centre that eventually gets you or to the fortunate families if you choose to go the path of self employment in Family Day Care.
Linsaa fdc :wave:

kellymm20
Helper
Helper

Post by kellymm20 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:03 pm

linsaa fdc,

Hi, Im in brisabane. Just wondering what area you are in as i may be interested at doing FDC and would love someone as passionate as you to be my educator?

Thanks
Kelly

smippy
Helper
Helper

Post by smippy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:14 pm

Wow your situation sounds to me like you happened to get a centre/placement where someone clearly didn't care if you were there or not (that comment is not personal by the way) I am also currently studying and approaching my first work placement.You would thin that the places that take students would have some comprehension about what their responsibiities are in regards to taking on this role and would go out of their way to help you and make you feel welcome and valued.As for the fact that you are male I have worked in a few places that have male employees,in fact working in one now and children love them, paticularly the boys as they have someone to kick a footy with....

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:41 am

Hi Kellymm20,
I'm in Bellmere postcode 4510.
I just checked your profile and we are nearly neighbours.
It's a very small world.....lol
You are welcome anytime
Linsaa fdc :wave:

kellymm20
Helper
Helper

Post by kellymm20 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:12 pm

linsaa fdc,

Thank you. It surely is a small world. Im mostly concerned that the day care I am in may not be able to give me the time i need in the nursery for the care cluster but then again you may not have many children that young doing FDC. I will give it some thought and let you know. I'm going to send you a friend request so its easier to contact you if that's ok?

Kelly

MustHaveCoffee

Post by MustHaveCoffee » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:32 am

Hi everyone, thanks for your support and comments. I have been reading up on some other forums as well as this one and I am surprised that I am not alone in feeling lost at a lack of interest from those who are meant to be there for that very reason.

Head up and move onwards!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:35 pm

Really nice Lindy!!

It's good to have inspiring thoughts in the staff room, just to uplift educators for even a couple of seconds when they read it!

:geek:,
Lorina