career change

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sasha r

career change

Post by sasha r » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:06 pm

Hi, everyone. I would like to get a career advice if possible.
I am in my late 30 and I have been working in a Childcare centre for almost 5 years. I got two qualifications along the way - cert 3 and diploma in early child care. I was working as a room leader for quite some time. So am aware of planning and documentation processes, etc. I am looking at a career change at the moment as I find the job physically challenging ( we all are not getting younger lol))) and another reason, the money is the issue in my case and I have to provide for my family, the childcare industry wage that I am getting is not covering the needs of my family unfortunately. So, the question is what other role shall I look at considering my qualifications, knowledge and experience. Is there any industry I can apply for a job? I am happy to study further ( it might be 6 months to a year course or so).
As an example, what is the name of the role of a person who comes into childcare/ FDC to check paperwork, etc.
or tutor at the learning centre?
what qualifications should they have?
or some other ideas?
Would be great to read the stories of people in similar situations.
Thank you in advance for your help,

regards
Sasha

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Re: career change

Post by Butterflyblue » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi Sasha,

There's lots of jobs you can get with your current qualifications and experience or you can upskill too!

In the family day care space you can be an educator, a coordinator/manager or one of the people who monitor and support the family day care educators who are part of the family day care service.

The title for people who visit educators in their homes varies depending on the organisation/company with terms including field officer/worker, education leader etc

You'll need a qualification in early childhood education and care, police check and working with children's check at a minimum plus first aid.
As the role involves a lot of autonomy and skills like critical thinking a strong knowledge of the regulations, learning frameworks etc gained through experience is must.

Its a great job in that you get the best of both worlds, you get to interact with kids and watch them grow and learn but you don't have to actively participate in the physical side which is like you said quite demanding, especially as we get older.

The setting is obviously different but operating under the exact same National law and regulations with a few added aspects that are specific to FDC

If you'd like I can give you a run down of the kind of things they do.

Also popped some child care job related links below

Hope this helps ;)

https://joboutlook.gov.au/Occupation?code=4211

https://www.training.com.au/ed/becoming ... gle.com%2F

https://www.seek.com.au/childcare-jobs/in-All-Australia

https://www.childcarejobs.com.au/

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Sun May 03, 2020 2:27 pm

Hello,

A coordinator in FDC does not make much for full time work, where you should look is being a Family Day Care Educator.
I'm 57 and have been doing it for 23 years and wouldn't do anything else till I retire and then I might do it a bit longer.
We only have a small group of 4 under school age, set our own fees, and you are able to interview families and choose age groups, days , hours etc.
Or you could choose to care for school age children only, or both, you can work overnights or /and weekends.
Its extremely flexible and you are able to earn as much or as little as you like.

All the best
linsaa fdc . :wave:

Ms Vee

Post by Ms Vee » Tue May 05, 2020 11:58 am

Thanks Linsaa,
I'm looking at doing same. You write up is quite motivational.