casual Educator Maternity benifits query

Questions on working as a casual. Such as job responsibilities, what to do, finding casual work etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
spd
Participator
Participator

casual Educator Maternity benifits query

Post by spd » Mon May 27, 2019 11:24 am

Hi there,

I have been working with Goodstart since 1 year as a casual educator. and now im 24 weeks pregnant. i have been trying to understand the benifits of a casual worker during pregnancy, i mean maternity benefits.
I once spoke to my coworker who is also a casual educator about the maternity benefits for a casual. and she said casual educators done get any benefits.
Since i work in lot of centres, i really dont know whom to talk on the maternity leave. is it any of the directors or do i need to mail the Casualworkforce?
if anyone could who has worked as a casual educator and been pregnant, pls suggest me how do i reach my employer?
and is there a maternity leave letter format for casual educators someone could tell me about? im really in a great confusion. i am planning to work till 34 or 35 weeks.
please suggest me.

Lorina

Re: casual Educator Maternity benifits query

Post by Lorina » Mon May 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi!

How's your pregnancy going? When are you due? I'm due on the 16th September! OMG I'm ready for it to be September!! Can't wait to get it over with and meet our little one finally! :giggle:

I had a look at the Fair Work Australia website and here is some information regarding entitlements for when you're pregnant:

Pregnant Employee Entitlements
Materity and Parental Leave

This should help answer your questions.

Make sure that while you're working that you stay safe and healthy. You should be only doing safe jobs. No heavy lifting, no lifting of children, not bending down too much etc. Your director should provide a comfortable work environment for you.

Hope your pregnancy is going well!!

:geek:,
Lorina

spd
Participator
Participator

Post by spd » Thu May 30, 2019 5:29 pm

I'm going good . How about you??
First of all Congrats to you as well Lorina. My due date is on 17th september. Both our due dates are almost in the same week of september. Even i cant wait to see my little bub 😊😊
I really appreciate for providing me the details. I found the details that i was looking for, but still some confusions going around.
I really need to understand on the Work Test requirements to get paid for parental leanve from the centrelink.
Let me explain you in detail.
I started my journey in goodstart as a casual employee Last MAY 2018. So now its already one year.
And i had been working 4 days a week since then. In december i had 5 weeks vacation, as i had to travell to my country( as you know its unpaid coz i'm a casual employee). Then mid january i started to work again 3 days a week.
Then in April whole month i.e, 5 weeks i dint work due to some personal emergency (not something to do with health). So therefore in the entire 1 year that i worked , i took 10 weeks leave (5 weeks in decemeber and 5 weeks in April). But apart from that so far i have worked more than 900 hours.

But according to the work test requirement from the centrelink, it says " You can’t have more than an 8 week gap between each work day" and " 10 of the 13 months before the birth of your child" and "a total of 330 hours, around 1 day a week, in that 10 month period."
Can you please explain me on this, i really couldnt understand this work test thing. I am tired calling the centrlink, i keep calling every now and then, it takes 45 to 50 mintues and then the call disconnects. Waste oftime calling those centrelink customercare.

Appreciate if you could please explain me this.

spd
Participator
Participator

Post by spd » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:54 pm

can someone pls answer my question

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi Again,

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Centrelink benefits so I am not going to of much help, but from what I read in from Parental Leave and from what you said, you have taken more than 8-week gap since you have had 10 weeks leave. I would probably recommend that you go to Centrelink yourself and talk to them about your circumstances.

Another option is just to apply for it and see what happens.

Sorry I am of no help!

:geek:,
Lorina