Best options

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Jackie1503

Best options

Post by Jackie1503 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi there,
I’m new here and have loved reading a lot of these discussions. Although I couldn’t find answers to help me with my decision.

I’ve recently decided to start my career in childcare I have been wanting to start for years and I’ve finally taken the leap. I am however having trouble figuring out which way to go about out.

My options are either undertake a traineeship or study part time/work part time. If anyone could help me with what would be the best option education wise and pay wise or any other options,would be greatly appreciated.
I am 26 years old, barely any social life (so I have plenty of time to focus my study:) )

Thankyou in advance ☺️❤️

Lorina

Re: Best options

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:11 am

Hi Jackie,

I apologise for my delayed response!

Here is some information regarding traineeships:

When employed as a trainee you are required to have a traineeship contract. The contract is an agreement signed by you and your employer and has details of your traineeship requirements. It also includes:

the type of apprenticeship or traineeship that will be undertaken
details the training obligations of the employer and trainee
the start date for the training
the duration of the training period
the workplace or location where the apprentice or trainee will receive practical experience
the TAFE or training provider which will provide the structured, off-the-job or workplace-based training
As a trainee, you will get the same benefits as other employees within the centre such as annual leave, sick leave, public holidays and breaks. These are accumulated as per your type of traineeship which could be either:

Full-time traineeship – based on 38 hours per week, with 20% of ordinary hours being approved training.

Part-time traineeship – based on less than 38 hours per week, with 20% of ordinary hours being approved training solely on the job or partly on the job and partly off the job or where training is fully off the job.

When working as a full-time trainee, it will typically take you a year to gain your qualification while working as a part-time trainee, it will take longer.

One of the benefits of working as a trainee is that some services, pay for your entire course for you. So, this is always a bonus but this doesn't apply to all childcare centres. Some make you pay a registration fee and others ask you to pay for the entire course so it depends on where you go.

Another option is to enrol in a course and work either part-time or casual at a service. Once you have enrolled in a course, you can begin finding work as a cert 3 educator since you are actively working towards your qualification. You will need to enrol in a course before you can be employed, so you need to decide which one is right for you.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

:geek:,
Lorina

Jackie1503

Post by Jackie1503 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:00 am

Thank you so much for the information Lorina! No need to apologise, It has really helped.
Also just quickly, would I need to complete the cert 3 before jumping into the Diploma? Or can I start with the Diploma?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:04 pm

You can start with the Diploma itself since the Cert 3 units are already part of the Diploma qualification.

Enjoy your studies!

Lorina

Suetry

Post by Suetry » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:55 am

I'm studying a Diploma and am considering moving to Victoria to be closer to my family, could someone tell me the difference between the EYLF and the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework please?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:32 am

Suetry wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:55 am
I'm studying a Diploma and am considering moving to Victoria to be closer to my family, could someone tell me the difference between the EYLF and the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework please?

The VEYLDF identifies five Learning and Development Outcomes for all children from birth to eight years. The five Outcomes provide a common language to support collaborative approaches between early childhood professionals and families and it is implemented in Victoria.

This will also provide you with more information:

VEYLDF and EYLF

Hope this helps!

Lorina

Suetry

Post by Suetry » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:34 am

Thankyou, that was very helpful, I have another question, How are policies developed in a early childhood service and who should have input? I am having trouble wording this correctly for my assessment, any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much.