Children And Circle Time

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Kayleighm

Children And Circle Time

Post by Kayleighm » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:12 am

(This is my first time posting, so I hope I am posting in the right spot!)

I am currently renewing my license and I am writing a paper and have a question that I would love some feedback on!

The question is:

Do you think all children should attend circle? Why?

Lorina

Re: Should all children attend circle time?

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:24 am

One of the big factors of managing group time is not to make is compulsory. Children should not be forced into participating in group time. When a child is ready to participate or is interested in what is happening then they will join. Most of the time all children will join in especially if it’s interesting.

:geek:,
Lorina

Robbie394

Post by Robbie394 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:21 pm

So what happens when the children get to school, and they do have to go to such things, like assembly, or simply sitting in class?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:59 pm

Robbie394 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:21 pm
So what happens when the children get to school, and they do have to go to such things, like assembly, or simply sitting in class?
When a child is ready to go to school, they will be mature enough to understand that they need to sit in an assembly or sit in class...for the younger children, it's not necessary to make them sit there while you tell a story. I always found that the more interesting you make group time, you will find all the children participating and they will all be involved by the end of the year...

Lorina

Robbie394

Post by Robbie394 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Alright... so you're saying that, say, with Kindergarten children, most of whom would be going to Prep next year. some Group Time should be compulsory?

Because this is something I'm facing at the moment, and it's confusing me, as, with the end of the year approaching, I think there should be a certain amount of preparing them for such things. However, I'm being told that, for instance, the children (of any age) don't have to go to the Circle Time we have early in the day in our front playground, before we disperse to our different rooms (this is where we do Acknowledgement of Country, maybe sing a couple of songs together, and something the Director really wants us to promote). One morning recently I said to a few of our Kindy kids that they needed to head over to Circle Time, as the music was playing, but was told by one of the management that they don't have to go if they don't want to.

Not only does this clash with what most of the Kindergarten children will soon be having to do in just a few months time when they get to school, but the logical conclusion of such an attitude is that we could have, theoretically, just two children attending it, while everyone else continues to run around, ride bikes and play, since it's their choice whether they go or not, which is not what I think our Director would want.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Children that don't attend circle time should not be given the opportunity to continue to ride bikes and play, otherwise, it's never going to work... of course, they would rather play than to sit and listen to a story etc. for most children.

When transitioning to circle time - all children should transition for inside quiet time. During this time children should be given limited options such as puzzle play, drawing, threading (only have 2 activities out). Then sit on the mat and start a circle time song to get children to come to the mat. You could have coloured circled placemats on the floor for each child to sit on. You could sing "jo come and join me on the blue mat, on the blue mat on the blue mat etc).

I really encourage that group time to be pre-planned. It's an important part of the day where you have an opportunity to plan for group learning. This is where most of your intentional teaching takes place.

So, you can do a story (always include visuals such as felts, images, etc), do action songs both sitting down and standing up, a group game and end with relation yoga). Make it fun and enjoyable. Children will begin to join in on their own...

The children shouldn't be made to go as such but you can coax them into going... science experiments also work a treat and so do parachute games, yoga, stories with visuals.. It will work, be patient...

Lorina

Lorina

Re: What strategies can be applied to support social annd emotional development of babbies?

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:47 pm

Manita wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:21 pm
:think:

Hi Manita,

If you need support, please start a new topic...

Lorina

Chin hee

Post by Chin hee » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:45 pm

How can i set up the areas for babies who are interested in car trucks ? Through what activities i can develop their areas ?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:20 pm

Manita wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:45 pm
How can i set up the areas for babies who are interested in car trucks ? Through what activities i can develop their areas ?

Maybe you could set up a train set, with train trucks... Make a road from cardboard or on the floor using masking tape that the children can follow along with their cars/trucks.

Find some songs/stories you could use at group time...

Hope this helps!

Lorina

Chin hee

Need a help

Post by Chin hee » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:27 pm

How a child care service maintain 5 principles of EYLF in daily routine ?

Lorina

Re: Need a help

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Chin hee wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:27 pm
How a child care service maintain 5 principles of EYLF in daily routine ?

Please start a new topic next time...

This may help:

Understanding EYLF

Lorina

Mrs Mommy

Post by Mrs Mommy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:54 pm

YES!
Circle Time offers countless opportunities for learning, for the children and here's a list of benefits associated with successful and consistent Circle Time participation.

Socialization: Participation during Circle Time helps children learn to interact with adults and children outside of the home. The children learn about themselves as they relate to the teacher, the parent, and other young members.

Listening Skills: Paying attention to their peers and the teacher while in the circle helps the children develop listening skills as well as respect for both the teacher and their peers. Their having to sit briefly during Circle Time helps children understand boundaries. Learning about structure, limits, and rules at an early age is healthy for youngsters.

Readiness for School: Children learn to take turns during Circle Time as well as develop patience and an understanding of time – tools they will need as they grow, especially in school. Circle Time also expands awareness of physical, sensory, and language experiences through exposure to new songs, dances, various materials, and other stimuli.

Fine and Gross Motor Skills: Participating in the songs helps promote rhythm, coordination, counting, and dexterity as well as singing. Dancing helps with gross motor skills. (e.g., turning and jumping) An added plus is that it is also a fun form of exercise!

Parent Modeling and Bonding: When parents participate in classes, there are additional benefits: because children do what parents do in the circle, their enjoyment is increased. Circle Time offers parents an excellent opportunity to set a proper example and help their children enjoy the experience with their own enthusiastic participation. As children and parents play and have fun together, parent-child bonding is intensified. The new songs they learn together provide them with something fun to do at home as well.

dentecnz

Post by dentecnz » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:08 pm

the daycare I work at, all these nice things she has, all the decorations everywhere would be DESTROYED. I don’t know how people have anything nice in their classroom

Bensos
Participator
Participator

Post by Bensos » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:25 pm

I always encourage children to participate in my room. I have a couple children with additional needs, so i set them up in person - directing them and giving them a liquid timer to focus on for a little bit. I know they may not necessarily be engaging but if they can sit for a few minutes with the group then its a starting point for when they get a bit older. I also know their favourite songs so will bring them in to the group just so sing. The children who dont want to participate understand its quiet and focused time. They can do their own activity but need to be respectful - I also need to be able to see them and what they are doing.

It is part of the regular routine so the children all anticipate it - I get everyone has off days - kidies included, so if they are particularly not in to it I would encourage them - see if they want to pick the story we will read, or pick the first song. If not i'll let them read quietly or do colouring.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:49 am

carolann wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:25 pm
I always encourage children to participate in my room. I have a couple children with additional needs, so i set them up in person - directing them and giving them a liquid timer to focus on for a little bit. I know they may not necessarily be engaging but if they can sit for a few minutes with the group then its a starting point for when they get a bit older. I also know their favourite songs so will bring them in to the group just so sing. The children who dont want to participate understand its quiet and focused time. They can do their own activity but need to be respectful - I also need to be able to see them and what they are doing.

It is part of the regular routine so the children all anticipate it - I get everyone has off days - kidies included, so if they are particularly not in to it I would encourage them - see if they want to pick the story we will read, or pick the first song. If not i'll let them read quietly or do colouring.

Awesome! Sounds like you are doing a great job and it seems to be working for you!

Lorina

Moonriise

Post by Moonriise » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:35 pm

Lorina wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:59 pm
Robbie394 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:21 pm
When a child is ready to go to school, they will be mature enough to understand that they need to sit in an assembly or sit in class...

Lorina
This seems like a false assumption to me. The idea that children will simply "mature" by the time they reach school is fundamentally flawed and the current experiences of Foundation teachers, many of whom have huge issues trying to get kids to understand that some things are "not optional", serves as clear evidence counter to your statement.

If you want kids to be able to sit through certain activities, despite their desire to do something else, you must explicitly train it! Whilst I agree that in the early stages of childhood allowing the child to be self-directed is important, I consider it just as important to provide kids with the structure and expectations that build crucial ways of being, doing and interacting. Giving young kids complete freedom to essentially "tap out" of the learning is teaching them that they have (and should continue to have) complete choice in what and when they learn. This does not reflect real life and I believe is a large contributor as to why many kids struggle when they reach school.