What is usual behaviour for 4/5 yrs - Kindergarten

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Melbourne

What is usual behaviour for 4/5 yrs - Kindergarten

Post by Melbourne » Thu May 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi,

This is my second placement. My first was in nursery. Now 8 weeks into second placement in kindergarten. Teacher has 2 years experience. I am finding it VERY chaotic. I would like to know what is usual in a kindergarten room.

When children are asked to come do something - group time, an activity, lineup - they refuse and are allowed to do as they wish.

Children do not follow rules - running in class - sometimes they are told to stop and sometimes no effort is made to stop this behaviour. It is a small room so there is a risk of injury or knocking another child over.

3/4 of the children are not quiet at rest time. They walk around the room. Talk loudly disturbing sleeping children. They are not given a quiet activity.

At group time, 1/3 of the class is fighting, talking, facing the wrong way. Several other won't come. Several wander of.

Teacher tells children to do or not do something. Children answer back.

Teacher tells children to do or not do some several times and teacher gives up.

I am not wanting to criticise the teacher. I have no idea what is normal. It does seem to me that the children are doing really what they wish.

Lorina

Re: What is usual behaviour for 4/5 yrs - Kindergarten

Post by Lorina » Fri May 05, 2017 3:50 am

Well, it sounds like the teacher has given up and the children have no respect for their teacher as well as their environment. No, this is definitely not the way that these children should behave. Do they have a variety of activities to get involved in? Most times I found that the children muck around out of boredom mostly. It sounds like there is no attempt for the teachers to guide the children in their behaviour and follow through with consequences for those who muck around... Something needs to be done otherwise it's going to be even more chaotic. I think that guidelines/rules need to be implemented first so children will not act out knowing that nothing is going to be done if they do misbehave. It's helpful to have 5 coloured guidelines with pictures that the children can relate to. For example blue - pack away toys, red - listen when someone else is talking, yellow - use our quiet voices inside etc. Talk to the teachers and suggest if you could do an activity related to behaviour...

:geek:,
Lorina

Melbourne

Post by Melbourne » Fri May 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Thank you. I am pleased this is not normal. I have four more weeks of placement there and will arrange to go somewhere else next semester. I like your colour guideline and will remember that to use myself. I think you are right that the children don't repeat the teacher as they do what i ask. This is why we do the placements to learn. I think this time I am learning by mistakes but it is still learning. Thanks again I feel better.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 08, 2017 11:53 am

It's definitely learning when you're observing not what to do, suppose to what is the right thing to do. However if you feel you have an opportunity to make a difference then you should do it. I mean it's easy for you to move on but what about the children stuck there so to speak... They will still continue the same thing day in and day out... so use this as a part of your learning to try and change the behaviour of the children or even set an example for the educators. A lot can happen in 4 weeks!

Lorina

Melbourne

Post by Melbourne » Wed May 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Good point. I will have a chat at the end of placement. I have 2 and a half days left. It's actually been a good placement so far as the teacher is grateful if I step in. I've done more activities, group times etc than I have done elsewhere.

journey_ava

Post by journey_ava » Sat May 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Each kid has its unique traits, so what to do is better observe them and try to test methods of what makes them more proactive.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 15, 2017 5:33 am

Melbourne wrote:Good point. I will have a chat at the end of placement. I have 2 and a half days left. It's actually been a good placement so far as the teacher is grateful if I step in. I've done more activities, group times etc than I have done elsewhere.

Hope you enjoyed your last couple days at the centre!

Lorina