EYLF Cultural Competence

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
momotayeasmin
Contributor
Contributor

EYLF Cultural Competence

Post by momotayeasmin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:30 pm

The Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) (2009) describes cultural competence as ‘the ability to understand, communicate with, and effectively interact with people across cultures’. Complete the following:

According to the EYLF cultural competence encompasses?
• Being aware of one’s own world view
• Developing positive attitudes towards cultural differences
• Gaining knowledge of different cultural practices and world views
• Developing skills for communication and interaction across cultures

QUESTION 2 (B)

Select one of the above skills that you feel you could work on to improve your own cultural competence and describe how you would go about acquiring or improving upon the selected skill.
gain knowledge of different cultural practices and world views.
Cultural competence also includes our efforts to value and build connections with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples. Programs that highlight and share Australia’s rich Indigenous culture with all children contribute to the work of Reconciliation and support the rights of all citizens to be valued.

Is it correct?

Lorina

Re: EYLF Cultural Competence

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Select one of the above skills that you feel you could work on to improve your own cultural competence and describe how you would go about acquiring or improving upon the selected skill.

Select a skill from the points above and how you would improve your own cultural competence...

Cultural Competence
Being Cultural Competent

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

momotayeasmin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by momotayeasmin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:05 pm

be aware of our own world view
As we practise these capacities over time, they become stronger and more embedded in our everyday thinking and acting. It is about continually improving and learning, through reflection, from our successes and mistakes. Cultural competence is a big idea; it’s bigger than ethnicity, more than celebrations, larger than food—it’s about all that we are, what shapes our beliefs and how we understand the world. For example, my cultural background is more than my Anglo Irish heritage. It is also about my Grandmother’s (and I assume her mother’s before her) beliefs in manners and punctuality. These beliefs were a feature of my childhood and shape the person I am today. It is something that I grappled with when I worked in a community that viewed time as much more flexible and relaxed than my grandmother’s strict way of life. My growing cultural competence invites me to be aware of my own background and how it affects my relationships with children and their families and the decisions I make.

Is it correct Lorina?

Otherwise please help me because it is my last question of workbook, then I want to submit it.Otherwise I will be struk

Gajtedmed

Post by Gajtedmed » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:33 am

How you would establish or indicate the cultural identities of the children within the service
What process would you need to follow to be able to review the current curriculum and experiences in the service
What skills and characteristic would you need if you were to ensure that educators are demonstrating cultural competency within the centre you are working in.
how you establish or indicate the cultural identities of the children within the Service
how you reviewed the current curriculum, educational opportunities, and events in the Service.

Hi, Lorina.
Can you help with these questions pls?? ideas Pls??
I'm stuck and i 't really understand?;-(
Thank you

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:42 am

See if the followinng helps:

Cultural Competence

:geek:,
Lorina

Amanda21

Post by Amanda21 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:37 pm

Can anyone help me on this question please?

What are the cultural influences and changing cultural practices in Australia? How do they impact the diverse communities that mAke up Australia?

Struggling to find the answer