Males In Childcare

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
patty

Re: Males in childcare

Post by patty » Sun May 13, 2012 6:47 pm

My assistant in our toddler room is a male, some parents have been a little hesitant at first-one reason i got was because her son didnt have a father figure in his life so he was uncomfortable around males, but surely having a male look after your son when there is no father figure would be good for the child?? anyway i think its great, parents love him, hes fun and great with the kids and its a change since i hadnt heard of males in the industry before!

Dragonstorm
Participator
Participator

Post by Dragonstorm » Sun May 13, 2012 8:52 pm

hello there, its me again....

update.

im now working fulltime as a kindy assist...yay! love it, im so sore from lifting and running but its great to see those smiles.
im putting the BA of hold for a while to study my cert 3 , so i can get a pay rise and then return to the BA. hopefully that will be done within 6-8 months.
thanks all for the encouragement.
Dragonstorm
Andrew
Ps: still trying to used to writing in little letters again. soo many paintings to name....

jeremyhendo

Post by jeremyhendo » Mon May 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Jeremy. I started this post. Just to let everyone know that I have completed my Cert III a few years back, began my Diploma and finished it in 6 months through a private company and now I'm a room leader in the Centre where I work. I have also just signed up to do my Bachelor of Education Early Childhood at uni and begin in about 2 months. I'm obviously very excited!
As for all the other males who have been posting the last few months on this website, continue your studies and regardless of what people say to you, keep doing what you are doing. All that matters is watching the children smile. If you can do that, then you are doing a good job.
Also there is a website for male nanny's which was spoken about on the news a few days ago. I think its mymanny check it out and see how you do getting work.
Keep smiling out there
Jeremy

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:15 pm

I personally think it is good that males want to get into early child care, and not just the teaching of primary school kids. MY child's assistant is male and it is the first time she's had a male in her centre as a teacher. All she talks about his him. He always has time to say hello and good bye to the kids. I think males are no different to the females that work in that centre. So keep studying guys, many kids in acentres need a little extra male role model in the life :)

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:24 pm

i am so excited to report that there is a fantastic male ECA at my new work- he has been in the industry 18 years, works in the toddlers room, and is an absolute gem. when we think about inclusion- how can services operate without male carers?- we are only representing half the population. it is such a breath of fresh air to not be in an all-female environment- something i have always found quite suffocating in the past. do so hope we can attract more males to early childhood, and teaching in general. cannot advocate it passionately enough!
:party:

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:06 pm

I totaly agree, a centre I did work placement at when I was at Tafe had a male director. Whenever he was in the room or came out for outside play the children absolutly loved him. I say we need more male child care workers in the industry, they are great role models for the children!!

sleet52

Post by sleet52 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:54 pm

I am a male childcare worker currently doing my traineeship. I work in a large long day center and am the only male, A lot of employees have worked in our center and I am yet to come across another male. I have been accepted warmly by all staff and parents and have thoroughly enjoyed working with children. I am regularly asked why I decided to work with children and the reason is because it comes very natural to me. Even as a younger kid I have found that children respond well to me and I have always enjoyed interacting with children and making children happy I believe is the best job in the world. Overall the industry has treated me very well but I do think things need to change for men to stay in the industry and in turn encourage more men. I find it very irritating when a parent or staff member attempts to justify a child's attachment to me by stating that its because I am a male. It makes me feel as if all the interactions and care for that child is ignored and that strong relationship that is built is based on my gender. I don't feel I bring any new skills to the center because of my gender actually I don't feel that many children attach to me quicker or easier then to any female employee whether there is another male in their lives or not. I think it takes a very special person to work with children let alone be any good at it. I have found the quality of staff to be quite poor which makes sense seeing that only one gender considers it as a job and the pay is quite poor. I think there needs to be more of an effort made to informing young men that childcare is an industry that needs them and will welcome them warmly because I think all workplaces need an even gender ratio. All in all I think you need to be a very special person to be a great childcare worker and it is an industry starving for these people who can be male or female.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:27 am

Dragonstorm wrote:hello there, its me again....

update.

Ps: still trying to used to writing in little letters again. soo many paintings to name....
It's an acquired skill Andrew lol

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Dion wrote:As I said that was more than 20yrs ago and I would hope by now that peoples opinions of males working in childcare has changed....well one would hope anyway..lol
Regards
Dion
Not as much as you might hope. Three of my fellow Cert 3 students were male and all three dropped out of the course after being repeatedly sent home from their student placements due to complaints that people were uncomfortable having a young male in the room with their children.

It was a shame, since all three were lovely young men who wanted their Cert 3 so they could continue their work in a youth mentoring program, but the constant issues made them give up on their studies.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm

Here is another topic posted by one of our male users who is currently finding it difficult finding work in childcare:

men in childcare - my experience

:geek:,
L.A

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Sun May 05, 2013 8:18 am

NorthLight36 wrote:
Dion wrote:As I said that was more than 20yrs ago and I would hope by now that peoples opinions of males working in childcare has changed....well one would hope anyway..lol
Regards
Dion
Not as much as you might hope. Three of my fellow Cert 3 students were male and all three dropped out of the course after being repeatedly sent home from their student placements due to complaints that people were uncomfortable having a young male in the room with their children.

It was a shame, since all three were lovely young men who wanted their Cert 3 so they could continue their work in a youth mentoring program, but the constant issues made them give up on their studies.
That is so sad they were sent home due to complaints. but some parents have their reasons or small minds :roll:
And that is just it many males what to go onto something else and not work in a childcare centre, but need to do the early childhood studies to get there and having to do their placements in daycare centres is a lil hard for reasons as above....
Since posting back in jul 2012, I have been able to do my placement where there is males, I dont' find it any different really,

JessD22

Post by JessD22 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi Jeremy, Just wanted to let you know I'm on my work placement prac at the moment and I've seen two males working in that said centre, and they seem generally nice guys and are working to their full potential. As well as also in the past work placement I went to for Cert 3 they also had a male. I think it's nice to have both genders involved with working in young children. Hope all goes well. To answer your question I'd have to say probably 1-2 and not all centres have a male educator.

RobinHood

Post by RobinHood » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi there,

I am just want to let you know that my experience at childcare centre was very good.

Dragonstorm
Participator
Participator

Post by Dragonstorm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:17 am

hi Robinhood
tell us a bit about your experience.
eg. how did the ladies treat you. all my ladies became putty in my hand, not! they loved me just the same though.
I found the parents are the hard part. I now go fishing with some of my parents we are becoming a great big family...

but I should be studying now so catcha later.

jeremyhendo

Post by jeremyhendo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi everyone,

Its me Jeremy. I was the person who originally posted this topic. I have also been completing my Bachelor of Education for the past year and a half. I have one year left until I complete my Bachelor of Teaching. For where I want to go, completing the 10 units to become a Director of a long day care centre is enough. Right now I don't need to 16 units (0-8years) just the Teaching (0-5years).

Recently a TAFE teacher came in to assess one of the staff here and we began speaking about where the best place for me to try and get a directors position is. She suggested Council centres as they are happy to provide on the floor training if you need it. Which I will.

Does anyone currently have the same opinion as she did about a new MALE who has nearly completed his ECT to go for the best chance at this type of job? Hopefully that makes sense?

jeremyhendo

Post by jeremyhendo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi again,

Last night my friend who is a director of a child care centre (who is female) was asked if she could do a babysitting gig for a 4 year old this weekend. She gave the mother my phone number and not long after I recieved a phone call from the mother. She told me that my friend couldn't speak more highly of me. Due to this I am looking after their little one and I am happy for the opportunity. There are some excellent 'carers' in this world, regardless of gender.

As for working with other males in the past. My first ever centre there was one other male my age, 20 at the time, who was there a few days a week as was I. After that I moved centres and I was the token male, soon after that I moved to a third centre where there was another male but he was casual a few days a week. Its a shame that I have never worked with another male full time throughout my career.

Hopefully my opportunity will come soon for a Directors position and I will be able to show the industry what males can contribute to Early Childhood Education.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Most directors positions that I have come across in the past has training before hand. It's quite hard to be given the directors position without someone within the centre showing you the ropes for the first few weeks and this isn't just in council centres but all. Council centre positions are hard to come by because the staff turn over is low - they offer above award wages, ongoing professional development, great resources etc. So, not many educators leave once they get a job in a council centre. Since you are wanting a directors position I think you should apply to a number of different centres not just council centres... You may be surprised at the responses...

Congrats on your babysitting job! It's nice to hear that parents are willing to let any gender look after their children! I'm sure that from this opportunity word of mouth will get around and you will probably be offered a few more gigs like this...

I guess the stigma in the community even now it's a woman's responsibility to look and care for the children and that has given males wanting to work in the industry an unfortunate set back. Even though it seems like your passionate and love doing this and still trying to fight your way in (so to speak)... Being a director will give you an opportunity to break down the barriers of men working in childcare.

I really hope you"re given the opportunity!

:geek: ,
L.A

jeremyhendo

Post by jeremyhendo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi,

I'm back again.

Just another quick update. I have been doing some more research in relation to director positions and 2IC positions over the past few weeks just to see what is out there. I'm not looking to move anywhere until my degree has been complete. About another year. There are plenty of positions on the internet but they are all asking for experienced directors or expereinced 2IC's. Is there anyone out there who managed to become a director with floor experience but without admin experience. I'm a little worried about not being able to get an opportunity because of my lack of admin and management skills. Any advice?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:55 am

jeremyhendo wrote:Hi,

I'm back again.

Just another quick update. I have been doing some more research in relation to director positions and 2IC positions over the past few weeks just to see what is out there. I'm not looking to move anywhere until my degree has been complete. About another year. There are plenty of positions on the internet but they are all asking for experienced directors or expereinced 2IC's. Is there anyone out there who managed to become a director with floor experience but without admin experience. I'm a little worried about not being able to get an opportunity because of my lack of admin and management skills. Any advice?

Hmmm that's interesting... I think you will find that with some of these positions on the job training is also provided so don't worry too much about it. Your biggest advantage is that you will have a degree and maybe they will take that factor more into consideration. Being a director requires you to do a lot of admin tasks, fees, bookings etc. so you will need to be aware of software the centre is using such as CCMS or QiKKids. That all can be learnt on the job and is pretty self explanatory once you know your way round it. Besides, the requirements you find now for a Directors position may change in the next one year...

Gosh if you have already started looking you must really be determined!!

:geek:,
L.A

Cassandrajay

Post by Cassandrajay » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:56 am

Hi Jeremy,

Are you currently working in a centre?

If you are and have a good relationship with the director I would suggest you ask if you can help them out. Let them know that eventually you would like to be a director somewhere and that you would like to start learning the office side of things. It might mean more work for you, helping out and learning in your lunch break or 30mins before or after your shift but it will be good to have when you go for a 2ic position or director.

I work at a great privately owned centre and the director is very open to showing staff the computer systems and how things work, it also helps her out as we can do things when she is away, and she doesn't always need to be bothered if a parents wants to pay fees etc.