creating a relaxing inspiring environment for staff.

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
eagertolearn

creating a relaxing inspiring environment for staff.

Post by eagertolearn » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to convince management to let me make over the staff room where I work.
It's only a tiny room as were a small Centre and never have more than 2 people in there at a time.
It's just messy un organized and rather drab at the moment.
I'm after ideas what you think are important or even photos of your staff room to inspire me.
I'm trying to source some cheap furniture 2nd hand we only have room for a table chairs and a small desk. We share the space with heaps of storage boxes containingpaper work archives which I can't move but I'm going to try and work around them.
Thanks in advance.

jeremyhendo

Re: creating a relaxing inspiring environment for staff.

Post by jeremyhendo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:49 pm

It would be interesting to have a look at your staff room if possible?
I would find it easier to give you some tips about this if I could see the current layout.
I do find that having natural objects in a staff room can really make a difference. Have some plants and some art work hanging up is a good look. I also use photo frames in my toddler room and believe this makes a huge impact for the children. These frames contain photos of the children obviously. ( I brought in my DSLR camera and the photos look amazing) Is it possible to do this where you are and places some photo frames in your staff room to show everyone who works there that the children on the wall are the reason you come to work every day?

eagertolearn

Post by eagertolearn » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I agree I was thinking of a nice pot plant on the table and the idea of photo frames is a great idea. We have these in our kindy room with pictures of the past room celebrations in them and I agree they look lovely. They do evoke a homely feel and are much nicer to look at then photos on a poster like we would have in the past.

I can sew and have a fair bit of scrap material and was thinking of sewing a bunting to hang over the Window with a word on it but I'm not sure which inspiring word to use?
Nurture, care, inspire, belong? What are your thoughts?
Ild also like to create some sort of a pin up board or white board for staff to network with each other for ideas and I can put up questions periodically and they can contribute by writing words etc but it's a matter of trying to find one for cheap so I'm open to other suggestions for that I'm quite crafty and love creating things to share with others.

jeremyhendo

Post by jeremyhendo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:44 am

That all sounds like a great idea. I have worked in a centre and they all do things differently. One thing was to provide a 'praise box' which you would place small comments onto a piece of paper and each staff meeting go through all the staff praises. Also similar was to place people's names on the board and place sticky notes on them with praises. It helps lift people's spirits a bit and makes them feel a bit more connected with each other.

eagertolearn

Post by eagertolearn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:46 am

Oh there both great ideas. That's what I want to create a inspiring space where all staff feel like they belong.
I started today and I'm so happy so far. Just cleaning it out and getting rid of the junk made a huge difference.
I made my bunting but instead used paper and used the word "united" I wanted something to evoke team work with out using those words.
I sourced a lovely branch from next door and cemented it in a formula tin and am going to get the girls to write words that represent being belonging and becoming and hang them on the branches.
I also dug up a pile of wooden photo frames and removed the glass and backing sheet and super glued little wooden pegs to them and am going to Mount them on the wall using mounting tape tomorrow and the girls can hang nice art work postcards we some times recieve nice posters etc.
I made a air freshner using a recycled glass jar and put bi carb soda in it and 15 drops of essential oil. I wrapped a peice of raffia around it and it looks lovely!
I also framed a tree picture I printed from a wedding website and at next staff meeting an going to get all staff to put thier thumb prints on it using ink pads as the leaves.
Also made a new bunting tonight using paper that says "belonging" as I really hope alk these elements make the girls feel as though the belong.
I'm very proud so far!