school going child care

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
yash

school going child care

Post by yash » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:17 pm

Hello....i have a 6 years old daughter. After completing her preschool, now she is studying in first standard. Problem is...she still cry before going to the school...and it is not that she is a poor learner or there is some problem from teacher's side. I am unable to find the reason behind this behavior of her. Some time she score good grades and some time she just won't write anything on paper and start sulking for mummy. She has good friend circle and enjoys playing with them...love to be with her friends but going to school is the last thing she would like to do. Please help me out to find a solution to it.

Lorina

Re: school going child care

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:05 am

Hmmm... Interesting problem... I just got a few more questions to ask if that's ok...

1) Has the crying problem suddenly developed or has it been going on since starting first standard?

2) When she cries how does the teacher handle the situation?

3) How do you handle it when she cries?

4) When she doesn't get good grades, what would generally happen?

Just want to clarify these, before I advise you on what the problem may be....

Cheers,
L.A

yash

Post by yash » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:01 am

1) the problem persist since very beginning of her schooling..hardly she has been happy for school.

2) usually she stop crying after some time when the teacher tender her a bit or the teacher send her home.

3) initially we would make her happy by pampering her, offered chocolates and all...but now even after 3 years of preschool when she does the same, some time it become irritating and result into loosing our temper.

4) we encourage her to do good next time. getting low grade in tests generally we don't take very seriously as we know she is good in learning and is just in 1st standard...

Only thing which bother us is her reluctance for the school. hope this information will help you finding the solution. thankyou

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:24 am

From what you've said I think it's just become a habit for your child to cry when going to school... You said that you pamper her when she doesn't want to go, so maybe she cries so she can get things from you.. Also you mentioned that the teacher sends her home sometimes... So your child knows that if she cries at school the teacher will send her home. Your child has learnt that when she cries she gets things from you and gets to go home from school.

I think you should sit down with your child and explain that it's important to go to school. Maybe you could also ask what is wrong...

If you want to reward your child for going to school maybe you could setup a sticker chart/diary.... For every day she goes to school she gets a sticker in her diary/chart and when she collects 20, you can reward her with something. However only if she doesn't cry when going to school...

I don't think there is anything wrong with your child, some children just find school difficult to cope with. I'm sure it will be alright and she will hopefully grow out of it..

Let me know how it goes!

:geek:,
L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:55 pm

I agree with LA,

I have a 4 year old boy currently doing the same thing.
I spoke with his Mother and told her not to stay too long dropping him off and we all agreed it was best for him to stay in care instead of going home. (Going home is giving him what he wanted)

I would ask the Teacher to be firm with your child and tell her that she is available for comfort if needed but your child needs to learn to settle herself. Firm direction by both her family and her teacher will help her in this area. The fact that she does stop crying when sent home.

Arturo De la Mora

Post by Arturo De la Mora » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:03 pm

I agree with you..The need for child care is rising because the number of children requiring childcare is expected to grow.