Parents that don't bundle up their children when neccesary!

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Re: Parents that don't bundle up their children when neccesary!

Post by Scottish Joan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:37 pm

Yeah, that is what the leaders at Brownies tell me, they say "we do ask Rhona to zip her jacket" but she tells them "I want it left open though" so I say to them "look, I have asked you to make sure Rhona zips her jacket so thats what I expect", it is not up to Rhona, she does feel cold especially at nights and can get narky with everyone including the leaders.

It is really poor that the leaders are ignoring my instructions just to Rhona moaning, they give up to quickly!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:02 am

It's frustrating trying to get others to try and get on board with what you're trying to do... Some do and some don't...

:geek:,
Lorina

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Post by Scottish Joan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:55 am

Yeah but the Brownies are totally wrong. I gave them strict instructions which I expect to be followed so I have no option but to become a leader.

Next camp they go on, Rhona AND every other girl will have jackets on at all times and at night time when weather is a lot colder, they will ALL fasten them up, if they like it or not.

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Post by Scottish Joan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:47 am

Well, that is me and a couple of friends now become Brownie leaders with a couple of others, including the head leader now resigning with another leader now the head leader and first thing me and the two other new leaders said to the new head is "well done on your new position, now go and show your better than the previous head, 1st thing we advise is make sure you keep these brownies warm and bundled up", this lady said in response "don't worry, I will, I hate seeing cold/miserable kids".

Well, thats exactly what the new head did when the Brownies went outside to play hockey and volleyball, all the girls were asked to put on their jackets, which they did but none of the girls had fastened them so next the head said "girls, fasten up your jackets, its early evening and temp is dropping (it was 8C)".

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:52 am

Well that's good to hear! You've got a Brownie leader that actually listens to you and understands that the girls need to fasten up their jackets! :thumbup: That's one less worry!

Lorina

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Post by Scottish Joan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:56 am

We are currently on our brownie summer camp where weather is very unseasonal, lots and lots of rain and high winds.

Yet nearly every one of the girls apart from Rhona is battling us on the jacket fastening, we are getting comments like "I don't want my jacket zipped up" or "my mummy/daddy let me keep our jackets open even in snow", our reply is very firm "what you do at home is up to you but out here at camp, you follow OUR instructions, one of which is that at all times you WILL fasten up your jackets!".

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:42 am

Well good to hear that Rhona is not giving you any trouble! :mrgreen:

Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:54 am

Hi Scottish Joan,
You must be so happy that the jacket thing is not a problem anymore. As far as the other children, I don't think there is a child out there that doesn't try to get away with things when they are with someone else or even between parents. As you said, I say, if you are allowed to do that at home that is ok, but when I am looking after you you need to listen to me.
Hope you had fun despite the weather.
Linsaa fdc :wave:

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Post by Scottish Joan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:07 am

I got a lot of complaints from grumpy parents that were asking "why are you and your leaders so fixated on my child zipping their jackets, if my child is cold, they'll zip their jacket without needing asked!", I just replied by saying "well, there are 2 reasons; 1) It is rule of the leader that when its wet/cold, jackets MUST be zipped, what you do at home is your business but at Brownies, your child WILL follow rules, if they like it or not and 2) it looks good if all girls wear their Brownie jackets zipped up (its a yellow regatta waterproof jacket with Brownie logo on back).

I really can't understand all these complaints over a zipped jacket :-(.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:53 am

Hi Scottish Joan,
I wonder what everyone would say if all the children came home sick because the rule was not enforced.
You can't please everyone. My sister in law told me how cold it gets over there, maybe everyone is used to the cold there?
Linsaa fdc :wave: