thinking of doing my Diploma

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
jsmd

thinking of doing my Diploma

Post by jsmd » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:16 pm

I am a mother and have been working in child care for nearly 5 months now ,, yes only a newbie but any how i was thinking of doing my Diplomia but i had a hard time getting my head around some of the stuff in cert 3 and just wondering how much harder the Diplomia is. And I don`t want it for a group leader ( for a long time yet) so much to learn and stand on my own 2 feet alot more , just wanted to start get on with it , so when i am ready ( if ever) i will have my Diplomia or nearly there i was told you get 2 years to do it , so i can learn in many ways .. what do you all say leave it or get on with it , I do have learning troubles so i thought if i started now i could just go along at my on speed ,, and i always have guy`s to call out too .. thanks

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: thinking of doing my Diplomia

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:55 am

Are you wanting to do it as formal study (attending classes at TAFE etc?) or through distance learning (online/correspondence) etc?
Doing it correspondence means that you can work at your pace, but it also means less support on hand. Sometimes with correspondence if you want extra help you have to get after the TAFE ppl as they are so busy and usually understaffed (in my experience)
I say go to a TAFE and have a chat with them and see what they suggest. You can begin on a few of the easier units and once you get into it you can do some of the more complex ones.
Nothing on the Diploma is not do-able ... its just about being able to find resources to answer the questions.
I find repeatedly from reading the forums here that people read the questions and panic and post for help, rather than taking a bit of time to think about what the question is asking. Usually they are straightforward, just written in a complicated manner.
Remember they will never ask you questions beyond the scope of what you should know or can learn at that level
I say GO FOR IT :o)
U r in QLD as well so the Diploma is govt funded which means u only pay materials cost. I am doing it through BNIT (correspondence) & I pay $40 per unit ... so its pretty affordable
Good Luck

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi Jsmd,

Welcome back :D ! I remember you recently completed your certificate 3!

There were a few differences that I found when I completed my Diploma compared to a certificate 3... The assignments are more detailed, you need to do more research in the diploma, your responses have to be more elaborate and you will learn a lot more that is required when working with children... I would say that certificate 3 is more of a foundation and the Diploma is the next step up to gain knowledge in childcare studies.

Just wondering how much harder the Diploma is.

Honestly there is no straight answer to this. It depends on the individual person. If you found the certificate 3 a breeze well then you will be able to take up the challenge in completing the Diploma, however if you found it difficult completing the certificate 3 then you could find the Diploma harder. So my advice to you is, if you are committed and prepared to put in the time needed for studies then by all means go ahead...

Also have a look at the following link, here you can find discussions in our forum on the Assignment types in Diploma of Children's Services:

http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... f=47&t=280

I wish you all the best,

:geek:,
L.A

jsmd

Post by jsmd » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:19 pm

thank you i was thinking of doing it correspondence as this way i can take my time , thank u all for your help on this matter i am just awaiting on the papers to sign to get this up and running , so can`t wait to tell you the truth i know it will be hard but i am sure i will learn so much along the way ..

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:51 am

Hey Jsmd,

Happy to hear that you have decided to do your Diploma :D ! It will definitely help you in the long run and give you more of opportunities in the future!!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:51 pm

Good Luck with the study, u will be fine + u have help here if and when u may need it