studying while working - cert or dip???

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
rclohesy

studying while working - cert or dip???

Post by rclohesy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:11 pm

I am wanting to enrol at Open Colleges asap as I want to start working as soon as I can. I have my degree in primary education but no experience in early childhood. I wanted to do the new diploma that I understand has the cert III embedded as eventually I want to become room leader or a kindergarten teacher. When talking to the careers advisor at open colleges they told me that I would be better off doing my Cert III as I can no longer work before completing my qualification and I will finish quicker and can later on get credit transfers for the 14 units that cross over with the Cert III & Dip and complete of the diploma later on. I am just wondering if this information and advice is all correct or is this open colleges wanting to get me to complete 2 separate courses and pay more money????
Thanks
Rachel

Lorina

Re: studying while working - cert or dip???

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:45 am

Hi Rachel,

Interesting advice... In my opinion I would rather complete the Diploma. As you said it has the cert 3 course embedded in it. Gaining credit by completing the cert 3 course first isn't that crucial and by the time it takes you to complete the cert 3 course you could have completed the Diploma.

Just went onto the ACECQA site and read their information on "Actively Working Towards":

Actively Working Towards An Approved Diploma Level Qualification

A person who is 'actively working towards' an approved diploma qualification may be counted towards meeting minimum ratio requirements.

To be actively working towards an approved diploma a person must:

-be enrolled in a course for the qualification
-have commenced the course
-be making satisfactory progress towards completion
-meet the requirements to maintain enrolment.

If you meet these four requirements, you will be counted as at least actively working towards a certificate III level educator for ratio purposes.

However, to be counted as at least actively working towards a diploma level qualification for ratio purposes you need to meet a fifth requirement:

5. hold an approved certificate III qualification OR have completed approved certificate III units

Ref: http://acecqa.gov.au/actively-working-t ... PZxQg.dpuf

From my understanding it doesn't say that you cannot work until you have fully completed the course. You can find a job within a centre as long as you meet the requirements above of enrolling, commencing and progressing towards completion. However, since you may start with the Diploma when looking for a position within a centre you would probably be an assistant (for ratio) until you either complete the course or complete the cert 3 units then you can be counted as a diploma. So, from this when studying your diploma and wanting to work you can begin as an assistant, gain experience and then move into a diploma position once your course is complete or you can start your course complete the cert 3 portion and then find a job for a diploma position....

You should mention to Open Colleges about the "Actively Working Towards A Qualification" information because they shouldn't be advising what they have been. Just a business to them it seems...

Hope this clears the air,

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Re: studying while working - cert or dip???

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:55 am

Me Again,

Just re-reading your post and since you have your primary degree why don't you just do a bridging course! It may be something worth looking into... Found this which may help:

Early Childhood Bridging Program

Choices, choices, choices!

:geek:,
L.A