STUDENTS - Tips To Being Organised During Study & Placement

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

STUDENTS - Tips To Being Organised During Study & Placement

Post by WarblerOn » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:06 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm the least most organised person in the world.

If this sounds like you this is what i recommend.

Don't ever let the teachers make you feel like you're not good enough to do this course. They push and push to see if you can professionaly cope with it, whereas in the end, it's up to you to find your courage and just deal with their constant nagging. Some teachers of course don't nag, but don't also let those teachers make you feel lazy, use this time with those teachers who are more laid back to actually push ahead of yourself and get back on track. That's where I went wrong before. I saw the time for freedom and I took it. Whereas I should have thought to myself, use this time wisely because the course in fact is not that very long, and when you finish the course then you can have your freedom.

That's one hint. My mother said to me I am just as an equal as the teachers. I was scared of one teacher, so I never saw it as that way before because I used to always still feel like I was the student. I finished Highschool in 2012 and I still felt like a student, and you are, but reminding yoruselves you are your own person is always a good motivation to keep doing what you want to do.We do that with the kids anyway don't we. Remind them they're worth it. Well you're worth it, this course is something you want to achieve, so achieve it! I appreciate my mother for reminding me of that.

Second thing, if you're like me and only work on a casual basis, I recommend doing the work booklets/assignments in the holidays.
I had a bad experience with an assessor trying to complete a portfolio on time, and it just didn't get done. It's different for work placement because you don't really know how to prepare yourself until you do it, because it's based on the child's interest right.
Here's an idea; Buy some material during your holidays as well before workplacement. Look at what you have to do, for example I have 2 art experiences so I bought some stuff that I could possibly use for art that usually children like, and if I don't use it this time, I can still use it for the next work placement, and for those assignments due the first week back (DON'T LEAVE IT TILL LAST MINUTE)

Some last minute tips;

The printer can play up; PRINT AT OFFICE WORKS (it happens to me all the time- which is why I'm not going down that road again)
You can lose your assignment (always back up, and always do it on the computer, I usually send myself a copy to my email)
BUY A USB. Office works are my best friend at the moment, and instead of paying $40 or something for a cartridge - why not print at office works. It was $2.50 for about a 45 page topic. I'm sure you can spare one coffee, and then you have your assignment ready.
Have your cover sheet printed off!
It always sucks when you do your work, yet forget your cover sheet. I recommend printing several (just in case)
Having a weekly planner. (These do help) : I always forget to write in the weekly planner, but instead I have a small book again from officeworks which I wrote all my answers in that are filled in during class and also what is due, so I have just one book that I need to look at to find those reminders.
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Re: STUDENTS - Tips To Being Organised During Study & Placement

Post by JNP » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Great tips WarblerJess! Just remember.... don't give up....the childcare industry needs passionate people like you.
Good luck with the rest of your studies.
Jules.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:17 am

Thanks for sharing your experience, your insight and tips to better prepare students for study. Your suggestions will be helpful to all students and it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders! :thumbup:

I hope you do well with your ongoing studies and enjoy a lively career working with children!

:geek:,
L.A

WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

Post by WarblerOn » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Thanks guys, I've been kind of busy with being organised that I didn't have time to answer - sorry :) I love the support on this website.

It is going really well, thank you. I feel much more calm, and I'm starting my 2 week block next week. I've done my observations so I just have planning to do.

Goodluck to all! Hope these tips help.